1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hyundai HPT4240 review

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by hornydragon, Jan 9, 2005.

1. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    OK guys here goes my review of a Sub £1000 42" Plasma
    OK It has good connectivity, 2 component,1 scart,1 DVi, 1 RGB,1 S-video, 2 composite...... as well as composite out
    Not a bad start nice silver finish looked good then we turned it on
    :eek: :eek: :eek: I could feel my eyes burn it was soo bright brough up the menu (again incredibly bright) and toned it down from +72 Brightness to +19 and from +75 contrast to +20 (0-100) but menu was still as brioght and doesn tleave the screen for you to adjust the settings....I mean this was sooooo Bright i had never seen anything like it before :cool: :cool: :cool:
    OK its getting bad my head is starting to pound switch to analogue TV tuner (PQ crap.....dodgy aerial let it slide) had enough and switched it off (at least i thought i did.......) but the menu was still there in 20 minutes of testing out of the box and wall mouting i had burnt the menu into screen, I could read the option...see the graduation to grey of options bars i could read it all.......!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:
    SO in short within 40 minutes PS2 connected via component look awful.. Popped DVE in and away we wen settings we ended up with were 69/61/52/55/3/mode 1 I think....... looked ok not increible but OK composite looked very poor..... TV picture did get a bit better used a white static image to burn the screen clean again and the ran some test patterns (which in 2 minutes were burnt in!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: )

SO i give this plasma a score
    1/5 for simple set-up
    3/5 for PQ
    0/5 for longevitiy
    2/5 for VFM
    2/5 overall

In short its £999 It is useless will burn easily and i mean easily.......the menu is useless the remote is cheap and nasty the only good things are the connections and price
    do not buy this for Gaming or PC use
    only buy this as a raffle prize for some one you dont like to win...
    It chucks out so much radiation i had to lie down in a dark room for 30 minutes before i could drive home my eyes are in agony and it has left me in pain :eek: :eek: :eek:
    Regards a very poorly feeling Hornydragon

2. tij303

tij303
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Horneydragon - Dont know if I am breaching some form of etiquette but is this what you do for a living or something - just wondered how you seem to have so much knowledge and experience of different plasmas unless it is your job ? Thanks for making me feel even better about the panny as well (and the warnings) :thumbsup:

3. sheety

sheety
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so what are you saying then? only joking thank god I just got the pw6 :thumbsup:

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    It was my job and i now freelance (back at uni finnishing my Degree) but a lot of people still ask me to install screens for them or help them, ( the set-up is my specialty not drilling holes)
    A mate of mine who is in the Indsutry (service enginner) asked me to set up his Hyundai (so i did) and thought i would let you know what i thought.......
    PS I am also a CEDIA trained installer so i do know what i am doing...

5. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Want to come and set my panny pw6 up when i get it mate? :laugh:

6. geewhizz

geewhizz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    hi horny.

so it take it from your review they are rubbish, and i gather the 4250 wont be much different.
    time to look stupid " what is DVE ". :lesson:
    going to go for the panny pw7.

thank again for the review.

7. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    are you sure it was burn in - i mean, when you turned the panel off, and left it for a bit, could you see the image when you turned it back on again?? seems completely cr@p if the cell brightness had been destroyed in that period of time.

Our Pio 433MXE displays an after image of the SKY menu/DVD menu even if the menu is only on for a couple of minutes (both brightness/contract on plasma have been turned down etc). Just seems that Menu colors are very bright for some reason, image dissappears thought very quickly - so this ain't so much screen burn, just an after image ghost effect.

regards
    Gary

8. cmw14

cmw14

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    basically a Samsung panel re-badge. Can only assume you had a dodgy panel. I've had mine running for over six months and no such screen burn issues. Of course observing the run in period. Average use is 5-6 hours per day. PQ is very good especially via samasung HD-745 DVD PS (DVI/ Comp) Only thing which was miffing was the Panel is not HDCP compliant via DVI :(

9. eatonluke

eatonluke
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    my 4240 i would say is about 90%, so as i only paid £1299.00 i think its a good buy. I have read other forums on 2k and more plasmas and there not a 100% happy. I would like to haer more from other owners of this plasma

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    the effect is latent image retention (the forerunner of screen burn) Pioneer are fragile when it comes to burn in but this thing is a nightmare, the big problem is the intensity of the on screen menu which will appear in the same portion of the screen, now if you keep the retina burning brightness and contrast then you wont notice the burn....... but the screen will age incredibly fast, HENCE wont last very long....
    I think the Panel is a samsung................ and is nowhere near the quality of SD panny glasss

11. freeman

freeman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Get it changed (the plasma) ! I think you've got duff one if you can get a watchable picture with settings that low :eek: (mine looks a bit like a negative when set like that)
    Were the screen protection features turned on?
    The ISM (image sticking minimization mode)
    The Pixel shift ,any idea what "inverse image" is for?

Mines got an LG panel (you can read it though the vents at the top) ;)

12. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Not my plasma so really dont care.... and if you read the post you will see that the settings i used were quite a bit higher than +19 but thats where i took it down too

13. ytrebil

ytrebil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Sorry to bump this back up!

Bought this TV about 18 months ago for about £1400 and have used it every day since. To be honest it's been very good!

The only criticism I have with it is the remote - it's cheap and quite bulky! Quite easy to replace though - I'm going to get a Kameleon 4 in 1 remotes once my room is all done.

Other than that it's great! I didn't think it was a HD ready TV being 18 months old and not top of the range, but my mate bought around his XBOX 360, hooked it up straight away and managed to turn on full resolution on HD and the TV took it in it's stride - perfect.

18 months down the line and it still works like it did on day 1.

I've had no problems and out of 10, I'd give it an 8.5/10.

14. n0chex

n0chex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297

Hi and Welcome to Av Forum

Go and have a look at a panasonic PWD8 42" £1000 ish .

You can always ask a mod to edit your post as its a obvious typing Error which should read ( 0.5/10 )

15. Dan L

Dan L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Ouch :laugh:

16. ytrebil

ytrebil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Why do you slate this plasma though? I don't understand?

It's good value and was at the time as well, never had a problem and the quality is perfectly good - for me anyway! Like I say, set up the XBOX 360 on it, switched to HD mode and it ran perfectly. Also watch DVD's all the time on it and I never actually switch the TV off (always on stand-by).

If I could afford £1000, I wouldn't buy ANOTHER 42" plasma, I'd perhaps go on holiday or something.

Any reason why you think I should have typed 0.5?

17. n0chex

n0chex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    Put it side by side to a PW8 or a PHD8 then you will understand Quality .

I thought i was being kind by giving it a rating of 0.5 :D

Technology Moves on go test drive one of the new panasonic ranges .

18. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    but it next to the PWD7 which at the time was £200 more and it was a no brainer and compared to the PWD6 whch at the time could be had for £900 this hyundai wasnt worth £50 IMO, I have lost touch with the owner but its still in use. His missus insisted on silver and knowing its shortfalls he still bought it. He knew exactly how good the PWD7 was and others but he couldnt afford the extra, he was happy at the time and i hope still is but thereare and were much better available

19. ytrebil

ytrebil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Well, I'm in the process of moving my room about and wall-mounting my plasma. My room is only small so the 42" Hyundai looks huge. Any-who, I'll be getting a sky box in my room (have been putting up with terestrial and a very poor sky link from the main living room), so I'll get a much better picture on my TV. I understand what you guys are saying - this forum is for enthusiasts so I'm sure you guys find it easier to pick holes in something compared to your average joe. I was dead impressed when playing on the xbox360 in HD and the picture was faultless. Should get a better idea when I manage to hook up a sky box directly to it, so the pictures won't have static you associate terestrial with.

More importantly I need a good speaker configuration. I know this isn't the right forum for it, but can anyone recommend a good 2.1 speaker setup? My room is like a box and I think a decent 2.1 set up will be better than a cheap 5.1 setup. I'm looking for an amp/receiver and 2 big standalone speakers which pump out good power stats. Any ideas people? Don't want to break the bank but I'm not putting up with the rubbish built in speakers for much longer!

20. ytrebil

ytrebil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Oh also, to add, do Comet still stock this plasma? I have a 3 year warrenty on it and was wondering if I needed to use it, would they replace it with this plasma, if not, what would they replace it with?

And another note - what wall bracket should I use? I don't want a swivel, just one which puts it as close to the wall as possible!

Many thanks chaps.

21. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    try www.RS100.co.uk for cheap flat mounts and AV-sa es have a forum special offer on a universal wall bracket