Hyundai cars

la gran siete

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about them? Like all far eastern cars they are supposed to be very reliable but they are also meant to be the cheapest to run in terms of spares and general servicing something which would make them very attractive to me.I was , though advised to avoid the ones with Mitsubishi engines. One downside - they are also fitted with all the dumb unneccessy features like central locking :mad: that modern cars have.The way I see it the simpler the car the better.

Badge/snob problem in the UK, sell by the truck load in the USA. but then car prices in the USA enough to make to you cry buckets..
not bad cars - the sports model is covetted.
they do kinda come fully loaded - helps them overcom ethe snob problem here and to compete in the USA where lots of cars come fuly loaded.

Look them up on Honest John's website as he tends to give good appraisals.

I must admit that I have never heard of anyone complaining about Mitsubishi engines as the cooking GDi versions are very economical whilst the engines from the FTO, GTO and Evo ranges are highly desirable.

Steve.J.Davies said:
Badge/snob problem in the UK, sell by the truck load in the USA. but then car prices in the USA enough to make to you cry buckets..
not bad cars - the sports model is covetted.
they do kinda come fully loaded - helps them overcom ethe snob problem here and to compete in the USA where lots of cars come fuly loaded.

Do you mean loaded with features?

Ian J said:
Look them up on Honest John's website as he tends to give good appraisals.

I must admit that I have never heard of anyone complaining about Mitsubishi engines as the cooking GDi versions are very economical whilst the engines from the FTO, GTO and Evo ranges are highly desirable.

Thanks for the link Ian . I have an honest John living directly oposite me who services my car . Over the weekend I thought my gearbox had given up the ghost because I couldnt change gear. All it was was the clutch fluid had run out which he replaced for me which means I can hang on to my trusty Corolla for a little while longer. :smashin:

The reason I mentioned features is because I recently learnt that someone had gone into a garage complaining that his central locking wasnt working. He was told "They dont last forever , £145 for a repLacement , sir" Beggars belief!

You are quite right to be wary of so many features as invariably it does mean extra things to go wrong especially electric windows and immobilisers. neither of the rear electric windows on my wife's Megane Coupe work which I understand is a known problem and the rear windows on my car only work intermittently. It would probably cost me a small fortune to get them all fixed - so I won't

Ian J said:
You are quite right to be wary of so many features as invariably it does mean extra things to go wrong especially electric windows and immobilisers. neither of the rear electric windows on my wife's Megane Coupe work which I understand is a known problem and the rear windows on my car only work intermittently. It would probably cost me a small fortune to get them all fixed - so I won't
Unfortunately its how they make their money these days. My mechanic hates modern cars because they are a pain to work on. He himself ownes several Citroen 2cvs and servicing them is his main line.

fully loaded = loads of bits and bobs, yes.
Mitsu engines pretty good, don't they make the Primera engine ?

According to Honest John, Ford make the cheapest parts but reading the respective "cons" for each model theyn are best avoided .Toyota seem to come out tops for durability.

la gran siete said:
...The reason I mentioned features is because I recently learnt that someone had gone into a garage complaining that his central locking wasnt working. He was told "They dont last forever , £145 for a repLacement , sir" Beggars belief!
Depends. I had a "fully loaded" Toyota Carina for 12+ years and 125000 miles, sold it to a mate who is still using it 15 years on. Nothing has ever failed on it. Acknowledged consumable bits wore out; exhaust, brake components, etc., and it's now in need of shocks and suspension work. It had a new battery at 7 years after I killed the old one. It is still roadworthy, never has failed an MOT, and all the lightbulbs, except the interior one, are original. Original engine and transmission and it still needs no fluid top ups between services. Burns no oil, makes no smoke and leaves no puddle on the garage floor; and never has. The central locking, all four electric windows and the electric mirrors (and everything else for that matter) all work like it did when new, without ever having failed/need repair.

Ian J said:
With respect, does that say something about "bells & whistles" or something about Renault's ability to make them?

I've got no real basis for knowing; but somehow, I suspect a Hyundai's build quality will be closer to that of a Toyota (or certain other Japanese marques), than to that of a Renault (or many other Eurpoean marques).

LV426 said:
With respect, does that say something about "bells & whistles" or something about Renault's ability to make them?.

The rear windows on my car don't work that well either and that's a Mercedes and I had similar problems on a Porsche too although that was 20 years ago but the electric motors in both windows failed.

Neither of these are Toyota or Honda, then........

I have had a Celica and Soarer by Toyota plus a Prelude by Honda and the electric windows worked perfectly on all of them.

I must stop buying European rubbish :D

I am now convinced that in the interests of long term economy a well built Japanese car would be infinitely preferable.Spares may cost more but then one can always buy generic parts which apparently are the same as those supplied by , say, Toyota. I have a 20 year old Corolla which has never let me down and the only thing that alarms me about it is the creeping rust

After 20 years, you've kind of got to forgive it, I think. There'd be nothing left of a 1985 Ford unless it had been extensively cared for or restored.

LV426 said:
After 20 years, you've kind of got to forgive it, I think. There'd be nothing left of a 1985 Ford unless it had been extensively cared for or restored.

Yes I know although thier commerciall vehicles seem rather good. My Tranny truck was made in 1989 and is still going strong.

Many European cars are now at least as well-built and reliable as Japanese cars (many of which, incidentally, are now made in China, rather than Japan).

If you're worried about the reliability of electrical components, window winders and central locking are the least of your worries. Modern cars are now enormously complicated: the computing power is amazing. Cars use the equivalent of LANs, so different components can chat to each other, and make decisions. Fortunately, it's rather more reliable than desktop PCs, despite having to run off 12 volts.

All this is necessary to meet emissions regulations, crash safety standards, and the growing demands of the pubic. It's amazing to think that in real terms, cars are cheaper today than they were in the 60s.

I wouldn't buy a Hyundai. They may be cheap, but boy, do they feel it too. A second-hand Skoda, Ford or Vauxhall will be cheaper to run, when you take into factors such as parts costs, economy, depreciation, and the humiliation of being spotted in a Hyundai.

Japanese all the way ...wont buy anything else

SIGNED

ex honda toyota mercedes ford rover hyundai nissan chevrolet owner |( forgotten the rest !)

by the way ..... ex toyota honda and master AA technician

rhoamish said:
Many European cars are now at least as well-built and reliable as Japanese cars....
There's a lot of evidence (such as, JD Power surveys etc) that would still indicate otherwise. Including the so-called "quality" marques, BMW, Mercedes, etc. Never mind the mass market trash.

LV426 said:
There's a lot of evidence (such as, JD Power surveys etc) that would still indicate otherwise. Including the so-called "quality" marques, BMW, Mercedes, etc. Never mind the mass market trash.

I don't think that's actually true. If you look at the last What Car? reliability survey, Skoda, Saab, BMW, Mini, Volvo and Audi all make the top ten.

Mercedes have slipped recently, but that's irrelevant because I'm under 70, so I won't be buying one for at least 37 years.

I've only had one Japanese car. It was very reliable, but horribly expensive to service and insure, and about as exciting as mashed potato.

I've been driving my Hyundai Coupe for over a year now and love it.
In the past I've owned Vauxhalls which have been fine but boring, then last year I got a 3 year old 2nd Generation Coupe.
It's been great and so far no problems *touch wood*.

I remember Top Gear doing a massive group of road tests with cars like Hyundais and they hated them all except for the Coupe.

On a recent business trip to the US I was given the absolute top of the range Hyundai and it was terrible. The steering was abysmal and everything about it lacked class. If you're after economy, fine, but if you want to enjoy driving that's a very different matter. I wouldn't have one of these unless I was truly desperate. The coupe is supposed to be better I think. Many of the Japanese cars lack charisma too (especially the Toyota Carisma, ironically, which I had as a rental ages ago) but they are generally better than this. Among those I've driven, I did like the last gen Mitsubishi Galant which had a good 2.5 V6. They're cheap second hand too.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom