Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition

Daft Ada

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Coming Spring 2018. Every map, character and weapon from the Wii U and 3DS versions, plus all the gameplay improvements from the 3DS game. Plus co-op on on console, I can see me using that a lot.

I don't know which announcement I was more stoked for, this or Dark Souls. Absolutely loved Hyrule Warriors on Wii U, this will be a day one purchase for me. I hope the Champions from BotW will get released too.

Last edited:
I bought this for my lad and had an hour or so on it. It just seemed like a fairly dull button masher with loads of minions you could kill really easily in a field by a castle.
My lad didn't play it and my drawer of shame was so full of games I sold it on. Maybe I should have given it a bit more time?

What a disappointment. Could they not have built a new game on a new franchise instead of importing? Wii U owners are getting a big slap in the face again.

Another I didn't get around to. Consider me in!

Had it for WiiU but sold it before playing.

So this game looks utterly terrible, tell me why I’m wrong please.

Hyrule Warriors is great fun. Where else can you play as Ganon and impersonate Sauron blasting waves of enemies aside to your left and then to your right just like in the opening of Fellowship of the Ring. The game starts easy enough but it soon advances to such a melee frenzy that you have to take a Williams Defender approach and actually deliberately target maximum density enemy groups with maximum force and attitude in order to progress. Played well it fairly gets the adrenaline going. :)

Preordered via Smyths for £36.99 thanks to their £5 click and collect pre-order deal. Roll on Friday!! :clap:
Be intrigued to know what this is like - hopefully quite "mindless" in a sense and not too thought provoking :)

Be intrigued to know what this is like - hopefully quite "mindless" in a sense and not too thought provoking :)

It's very satisfying to play through if you like button mashing your way through thousands of enemies! Not as tactical as Fire Emblem Warriors but you still had to approach bosses and commanders with some kind of plan otherwise you'd get your backside handed to you. It was in my top 3 on Wii U, really looking forward to playing through it again.

It's very satisfying to play through if you like button mashing your way through thousands of enemies! Not as tactical as Fire Emblem Warriors but you still had to approach bosses and commanders with some kind of plan otherwise you'd get your backside handed to you. It was in my top 3 on Wii U, really looking forward to playing through it again.
Might be one for me to keep an eye out for in classifieds when it's sub-£30; shouldn't take too long I hope, but Switch games are holding well.

I'm intersting in getting this game. But, I will wait until it's on sale. I literally just finished Fire Emblem Warriors and while I enjoyed it, it was not a great game, and probably not worth full price unless you like the genre.

I generally don't do button-combo games or fighting games.

I'm looking forward to Hyrule Warriors when it goes on sale because it seems like it will not have some of the annoyances I have with Fire Emblem Warriors and be fun fan service. Whereas Aonuma's Puzzle Zelda's (Wind Waker to Skyward Sword) increasingly reduce combat to focus on puzzles, Warriors does the opposite, and is good for simple fun.

I bought this for my lad and had an hour or so on it. It just seemed like a fairly dull button masher with loads of minions you could kill really easily in a field by a castle.
My lad didn't play it and my drawer of shame was so full of games I sold it on. Maybe I should have given it a bit more time?

Yes, CLC.Sheff, it's true that it's trivially easy to destroy the minions. I haven't played it, but in FEW the first few levels tell you how to play with super easy enemies and few officers to fight. You can get through several missions without upgrading your characters and only have a few real boss fights.

As it went on, there were more and more officers on the battlefield you must defeat, who are harder and actually defend. I assume the same is true in Hyrule Warriors. It also depends on your difficulty setting, of course. I thought it would be a fun smash everything and was right. In fact, FEW gets more tactical as the game goes on, and I found that a little annoying!

What a disappointment. Could they not have built a new game on a new franchise instead of importing? Wii U owners are getting a big slap in the face again.

They did Gwyper: it's called Fire Emblem Warriors. And then they spent a little bit of time porting this one over. But it seems they just pump out these Warrior games. I'm sure they are hard at work on the next one.

I admit I don't understand why making previous games available to more gamers as a slap in the face. If I like a game I want more people to play it. And it didn't seem to slow down Fire Emblem Warriors much at all. But I skipped the Wii U.

So this game looks utterly terrible, tell me why I’m wrong please.

It depends on the type of game you like. I'm not a fan of Fire Emblem, but heard Warriors is good fun. It's a button combo fest which I don't usually play, but I thought it was cathartic. I would never pay full price for it and never claim it was a great game. I'll get Hyrule Warriors when the price goes down and I'm ready for a mindless slaughter again with fun Zelda paint on it.

So probably some time next year.

But if it's not your genre Gdogg2001, it might not be for you. I'd say pass.

It's very satisfying to play through if you like button mashing your way through thousands of enemies! Not as tactical as Fire Emblem Warriors

I'm glad to hear that, Daft Ada. I never played a Warriors game and was annoyed that my mindless domination strategy wouldn't work in later missions. Most added just enough tactics to make it more fun, but some went way overboard. If there is less of that in some ways, then I might enjoy it more.

Might be one for me to keep an eye out for in classifieds when it's sub-£30; shouldn't take too long I hope, but Switch games are holding well.

That's my plan as well, Qactuar!

Played for a few hours over the weekend, very happy with it so far. They've made a lot of QoL changes that have really improved the overall experience, the best of which is probably the ability to switch between characters and give them orders. There are a lot of missions I remember from the main game and adventure modes that had you deal with several threats on the map at once and this change will make these levels much less stressful. It also means you can swap to another character if they're in trouble and across the otherside of the map which I remember being a real bugbear when I played it on Wii U.

Few other changes:
The main story mode feels a lot easier than before, I don't know if that's down to some rebalancing of the difficulty levels or just because I'm now a Warriors veteran, hopefully it maintains a challenge in later levels.
The Adventure maps are now graded according to difficulty, rather than each having their own difficulty curve as you advance through them.
All the main characters from the base Wii U game are unlocked from the start, so you don't have to battle through the story or Adventure maps to get them. This might be great if you played the Wii U version and can't be bothered unlocking your favourite characters again but I would have preferred that reward of getting a new character as I progressed.
I haven't unlocked the My Fairy mode yet, so I can't comment on how that affects gameplay.

Performance-wise it's much smoother than the Wii U version, still a bit of slowdown on some maps though. There aren't any options to prioritise performance or resolution like in Fire Emblem Warriors which is a shame. Perhaps it can be added via a patch later. Character models haven't been changed dramatically (apart from the 3DS exclusive ones) but the texture quality looks to have been bumped up a bit. I certainly noticed character outfits were a lot more detailed than before.

Yea I got it Saturday too, after denying I was going to get it since it was announced lol

There were 2 reasons I didnt want it;

1) I played the 3DS version and that was my first 'Warriors' game and I though "WTF is this?" - I thought it ran poorly and just seemed a mess.

2) At the time (of the 3DS version), I wasnt a particularly big Zelda fan, nor knew much lore.

Then I took the plunge on Fire Emblem Warriors and really liked that (I like FE anyways). Started to appreciate more about the Warriors style of gameplay and that helped. But I just felt there were some things in FEW that overly confused the game for me, though I still enjoyed it.

So as it got closer to HW launch, I had a few sneaky reads of reviews and watched a couple of YT vids. Then read more comparisons between HW vs FEW and 99% of people favoured HW for variety of reasons.

Plus after playing a lot of BoTW, I was now more versed in Zelda lore and enjoyed the franchise, so I took the plunge.

Now I absolute LOVE it! :) The difference between HW and FEW is pretty amazing too be honest. I thought FEW was 'good', but HW blows it away in terms of looks, performance, difficulty (dont think I died once in FEW!) and particularly the amount going on on screen. In FEW it felt like there were not enough enemies, but in HW, the screen is FULL of them! Makes it much more interesting and a challenge.

Really happy I traded FEW in for HW and its pretty much all I'm playing at the moment, considering I bought 5 new games last week, is quite the achievement!

Glad you're enjoying it! I still haven't finished FEW yet, it's a good game but I've found it a bit of a slog in the last third. Hyrule Warriors definitely edges it in terms of mission design, and the characters are so varied that grinding for levels and items never feels like too much of a chore.

Was told by the VERY chatty manager in Game that this sold out at the weekend !! I didnt think to ask how many copies she got to see whether this is impressive news or just that they sold a copy !!!

The difference between HW and FEW is pretty amazing too be honest. I thought FEW was 'good', but HW blows it away in terms of looks, performance, difficulty (dont think I died once in FEW!)

That worries me. But it depends on how they did it. I never 'died' but I lost some missions. And I found that most of the ones I lost were really annoying. You literally have to know what will happen in order to be ready to counter events. I think that's amateur game design.

But it wasn't difficult to actually do anything. So depending on what you mean, that's either good because it will be more of a challenge, or bad because it's just frustration. From what people have said about FEW being more tactical and management based, I'm hoping that's the good kind.

Though I will wait until it's on sale.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom