1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hypothetical AV Planning (pics enclosed)

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by DarkKnight, May 11, 2005.

1. DarkKnight

Feb 3, 2005
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:

Hi all,

I need help. :lease: (A long read below, but it'll help explain the pics!)

You may have heard me mention this before in this forum before, but I'm planning ahead for a house move and am concerned about the amount of channelling/ chasing I need to do for speaker and plasma placement.

I've enclosed some diagrams I put together up :
    Pic 1 - Shows a birds eye view of the layout. The relevant section for Pics2 and 3 are shown in the top half of Pic1
    Pic 2 - Shows the equipment without the planned cabling (viewed from the back wall facing the AV wall)
    Pic 3 - Shows the equipment with the planned cabling (as above)

If it's difficult to make out what's what, so let me explain a few things :
    •The greyed out rectangle to the right of Pics 2 and 3 shows the door frame nearest to you for entry into the room
    •The AV equipment will be housed on existing shelves I have. This shelf may not have line of sight with my remote control, hence I plan to use a Xantech IR receiver and blaster to control some/most of the equipment. I may place some of the more 'ugly' equipment in closed drawers I have for this shelf.
    •I am planning for a 7.1 surround sound system. Bear in mind that some of the speakers will be on the AV wall whilst others will be on the wall behind or adjacent to the the sofa
    •The point at which all cables meet for connection to AV equipment, I've called Node 1.
    •There will be a Node 0 (not shown) to distribute CAT5E/6 data and AV signals around the house (see http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=8 for more info on what Node 0 is)
    •You'll noticed some lines are dashed whilst others aren't. The dashed lines are the ones I intend to have hidden in walls or under the floor boards.
    •All walls should be considered solid brick built walls, including the wall behind the sofa
    •Ignore the pink strips on the walls! I was just planning some arty-farty design!
    •All dimensions on Pics 2 and 3 are to scale

As you'll see, much of the work I need to do is based on hypothetical equipment.

I have many concerns over the amount of channelling I need to do and would like to touch on your own experiences on this.

My questions are :
    • Is 7.1 overkill ? I'm seeking an answer not in terms of sound, but in level of effort to channel, install and plaster
    • I can't quite afford to buy the speakers and AV receiver right now because of the house costs. How can I be sure that my speaker placement channels are at the best spot ? (I've been using http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/audioprinciples/loudspeakers/hometheaterspeakerlayout.php)
    • I'm planning to share the channel for the LHSfront satellite with the Xantech CAT5E and Centre speaker to minimise channelling. Is this wise ?
    • I was planning to use this flexible conduit http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/BHEF20.html for speaker(red) and CAT5E (green) channelling. Is this the best to use ? Is there anything thinner out there ?
    • For AV channelling (blue) I was planning to use http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MTMIN2.html . I'm not sure if I will be able to plaster this channel until after I've bought the Plasma because of the thick ends of this AV lead.
    • Will I also need to include a power lead in the AV channel ? (I'm not sure if Plasma TV -> receiver cables include power or not)
    • How have any of you managed to do this and convince wifey and screaming baby that it is the best thing?! :confused: I can imagine all that angle grinding dust will take weeks to settle!

Your wisdom would be appreciated.

Many Thanks.
    p.s. Please lets not get into the discussion about equipment choice. Unless this affects layout, it is best discussed in other forums.

Attached Files: