Hypocrisy at the BBC News

pantages

Prominent Member
Reaction score
BBC News at 6pm today included its daily climate change propaganda scare by trying to make us feel guilty if we go away this weekend by air or car and quoting ridiculous figures of thousands of tons of CO2 being put into the air. These figures come from 'scientists' and we ordinary mortals have no way of knowing how accurate the figures are or even if they exists at all. They also led the news with the homecoming of the 'heroes' of Iran and sent a reporter by helicopter to follow the helicopters which shipped the 'hostages' to their base in Devon! No CO2 there then. Later there was an item from some snowy bound wasteland where the reporter, (who presumably got there by canoe), stated that one (!) man in the area was deeply concerned because the local glacier was shrinking. It is what glaciers do! They shrink, then grow again, then shrink, then grow, and so on. Really you cannot make it up. People have flocked to the coast, and overseas at Bank Holidays for ever and we are still alive to tell the tale. But the BBC shot themselves in the foot by stating that rail travel would not add to the pollution problem because the number of people who were travelling for leisure was offset by the number of people who would not be commuting. Presumably people do not commute by car, bus or plane... What is going on?

When I watch the local BBC midland news there's about every night 10 monitors on showing the logo but nobodys at the desks.

Pantages.. You have just witnessed the great global warming swindle.

How on earth anyone in their right mind can really believe this GW clap trap is beyond me. Me and the wife rolled up at it, she used to believe it but in fact she is more anti GW then me now.

More and more people are realizing what a pile of crap this is. I love seeing the BBC makes idiots of themselves because the more they show these broadcasts the more and more people are turning away from it.

I can't wait to see Jeremy Clarkson and Jon Gaunt in the Sun pull this to pieces.

GW is now going out of fashion so fast its unbelievable. I am sure Sophie Raworth was struggling to keep a straight face when she was talking about it on the lunchtime news.

Did a tour of the BBC TV centre last year,
i was amazed at the amount of offices that were empty with the lights on! I see an accountant has been made boss of the BBC today.
"It is a great privilege to be appointed chairman," Lyons said in a statement. "I will never lose sight of the public's core expectations of editorial independence and quality programmes across television, radio and the Internet."
Lyons, 57, a former chief executive of Birmingham City Council who was also Professor of Public Policy at Birmingham University, has little experience of broadcasting.
Other more experienced candidates such as film producer Lord Putnam and broadcaster David Dimbleby ruled themselves out of the running in advance.
But the new 140,000 pounds-a-year job will require Lyons to play more of a regulatory role than previous chairmen who were closer to BBC management and had some input over editorial matters.
Lyons is also regarded as being close to Chancellor Gordon Brown, a potential plus in future negotiations over the level of the licence fee paid by viewers that provides most of the broadcaster's income.
The BBC faces a 2 billion pound gap in its finances following a lower than anticipated six-year settlement that will see the licence fee rise from 131.50 pounds now to 151.50 pounds in 2012.
Lyons replaces Michael Grade who left to join commercial broadcaster ITV last November.
The opposition Conservatives criticised his appointment.
"That yet another person with close links to Gordon Brown has landed such a key job -- and with limited broadcasting experience -- seems to add to the unease that the Chancellor is placing his people in positions of authority," Conservative Media Spokesman Hugo Swire told The Independent newspaper.
Lyons last month completed a three-year review of local property taxes in England, recommending new charging bands for people in the most expensive houses.
The BBC Trust replaced the broadcaster's board of governors in January, tasked with protecting the BBC's independence and representing licence-payers' interests following a damaging row with Blair over its coverage of the Iraq war.
Judge Lord Hutton exonerated Blair but lambasted the BBC in a 2003 probe into the death of British scientist David Kelly who committed suicide after being revealed as the source of a BBC radio report that officials hyped Iraq's weapons threat.
Lyons was also recently the acting chairman of the Audit Commission, and has been the chief executive of councils in Nottinghamshire and Wolverhampton.
He was knighted for services to local government in 2000.

The BBC is the government's mouthpiece on MMGW. Hardly a single news programme now goes without some mention of it, and todays report about holiday traffic 'threatening the planet' would have been hilarious if it weren't so ridiculous.
Once again, New Labour's lies and spin has turned people against what *could* be an important matter.

I like to know how much money the BBC paid that idiot in the north pole to rant and rave. No doubting enough to feed him and his family for 10 years.

I can see it now, after the camera crew went, he got in his 4x4, waving the wad of dosh in the air, "singing, "stupd idiots".

Wish they would come around to my house asking for my views on GW waving a wad of dosh.

.. What is going on?

Dumbing down.
And as has been commented on, the breathtaking hippocrasy of the way the BBC and other media report on this particular issue is something to behold.
Brains are not something that has been included in the BBC Reporter Clone Factory/ (Natasha Kaplinski model) range.
And did you see how much trouble LGS got himself into by quoting something from the DM on the General Chat forum? That's a lesson to us all, not to believe what we read in the papers/ watch on TV.

Pantages.. You have just witnessed the great global warming swindle.

How on earth anyone in their right mind can really believe this GW clap trap is beyond me. Me and the wife rolled up at it, she used to believe it but in fact she is more anti GW then me now.

More and more people are realizing what a pile of crap this is. I love seeing the BBC makes idiots of themselves because the more they show these broadcasts the more and more people are turning away from it.

I can’t wait to see Jeremy Clarkson and Jon Gaunt in the Sun pull this to pieces.

GW is now going out of fashion so fast its unbelievable. I am sure Sophie Raworth was struggling to keep a straight face when she was talking about it on the lunchtime news.

I agree with you and I never was taken in by this nonsense. It is political propaganda of the most insidious kind, although it is scary to know how many people ARE taken in by this crap. But as Andy 3 says, the BBC is the mouthpiece of the government. What especially disturbs me is how they attempt to frighten children, (or as the BBC calls them, 'kids' - it's 'cool' you see), on Newsround which almost without exception includes an item on GW. It is very, very scary. Thankfully the majority of us Brits do have common sense and as my tag line states: 'You can fool some of the people some of the time, but not all of the people all of the time'. Next time at the ballot box should, I hope, help rid us of this vile government which has destroyed our trust in each other and diminished the world standing of our country. But that is another subject...

Good on the BBC, for reporting the facts about GW, just like every other responsible, independent news broadcaster.

Good on the BBC, for leading the world in quality journalism, impartiality, and for being one of the most widely respective news sources in the world.

Good on the BBC, for providing intellectually stimulating, entertaining and educational programming, with the highest production values.

It's not perfect, but it is largely recognized by the world as the best there is.

I agree with you and I never was taken in by this nonsense. It is political propaganda of the most insidious kind
Whereas your lack of awareness of the science underlying climate change is simply breathtaking...

The BBC are to be commended on their efforts to educate you, but I can see it is going to be an uphill struggle.

Whereas your lack of awareness of the science underlying climate change is simply breathtaking...

The BBC are to be commended on their efforts to educate you, but I can see it is going to be an uphill struggle.

The problem is NJP that the BBC today is, to many eyes, a left wing political pressure group, with access to every tv in the land. To others, it isn't, fair enough.
When the majority of us, myself included, will never have the time or indeed expertise to evaluate all of the available science, we have to make our minds up based upon other considerations. Where we get our news from, and potential political motivations play their part.

As for the BBC trying to educate us, have you seen the quality recently of their previously most respected output, namely Horizon, Panorama and Newsnight? They all appear to have been made for CBBC.

although it is scary to know how many people ARE taken in by this crap.

Yes but the tide is changing, in my office we now only have 2 GW believers out of 12, was a lot more this time last year.

What especially disturbs me is how they attempt to frighten children, (or as the BBC calls them, 'kids' - it's 'cool' you see), on Newsround which almost without exception includes an item on GW. It is very, very scary.

Yes its worrying, both my kids have had it drummed into them that this is all crap. I dont want my kids worrying about every little thing they do in their lives because some no nothing goverment clone says its bad for the environment.

Thankfully the majority of us Brits do have common sense and as my tag line states: 'You can fool some of the people some of the time, but not all of the people all of the time'.

Yes most joe bloggs on the street are starting to see through the lies now, its wearing so thin its hard not to.

Next time at the ballot box should, I hope, help rid us of this vile government which has destroyed our trust in each other and diminished the world standing of our country. But that is another subject...

Yes this goverment is the worse by a long, long way ever to have run this country and has toatally runied what was a great country. You only have to look back to some of the falklands stuff on the TV recently, now that was a time when we were proud to be british, now lots are looking at the possibility of getting out. Only problem is the Tory's have voted in Tony Blair mark 2, so even if they get back in power what can we really expect. This country is finished in my eyes no matter who gets in.

Education is meant to be based on fact, not total lies which GW is.

And where is your educational proof that GW is total lies ?

"There are no facts, only interpretations" ~ Friedrich Nietzsche.

I couldn't afford a plane trip this weekend.
But I would like the climate to be a bit warmer so I had a great big bonfire, must have put out at least as much CO2 as a plane journey. In future I intend to burn all my waste, rather than compost or recycle. I think it's already working, this weekend is going to be warm and sunny.

Please join my campaign to improve the British climate, produce as much CO2 as you can!

Education if meant to be based on fact, not total lies which GW is.

I go along with all that you say. There is no proof whatsoever that 'man' is responsible for global warming. Whenever I ask the 'believers' to explain the causes of previous warm events, long before we had cars, planes and factories, they move on avoiding the answer. (In the way politicians do). Ban all cars, planes, factories, etc, for six months and it will not make a jot of difference. Nature is not a steady state, it changes constantly and what goes around comes around. There are many explanations for what is happening but they receive little publicity or are ignored. The sun controls our weather, mankind is not big enough to control or change the weather. Cars have never been cleaner, the air has never been cleaner, but one major volcanic eruption can change all that and affect the climate for years. There is nothing we can do to change nature, in a few years we will be cooling down again and then it will be the coming of a new ice age that we will be told to prepare for. Only ten years ago that was the flavour of the month - a new ice age is coming! The propaganda we are seeing and hearing now is evil and designed to control us and taxing us even more. What does strike me is how the 'believers' are so wound up by this subject that they become bitter and twisted. I lost a good friend because I would not believe the rubbish he has been brain washed with. Common sense is all!

I too was shaking my head in disbelief when one of the BBC's main stories was "the big easter getaway begins but what effect will it have on global warming".

I can't help but feel the rise in all this propaganda (and that's all it can be seen as, because the scientific community are not in agreement on this issue) is being forced upon us so we'll be brainwashed into thinking that when the government introduces all these lovely planet saving green taxes we will forget that overall the UK is pretty insignificant when it comes to global pollution.

Until the USA and China (and probably some of the other larger nations) start doing something significant about global warming (assuming they are convinced there is something to be done about it) then I will not be happy for us UK citizens to take yet another shafting all in the interest in raising tax revenue.

If there is proven to be a global threat then the whole world should be doing something about it. Why should the UK attempt to lead the way as Blair keeps on saying? It's not an empire anymore. Just a weak overcrowded nation that's quickly becoming the garbage heap of Europe.

As an aside, I think Blair has instructed the BBC to make sure he is seen on tv every day! After all, he is a regular sort of a guy. :cool:

And where is your educational proof that GW is the truth?

Climate science will eventually provide the proof that either GW is incorrect or that it is correct.
Now i think it would be foolish to write off GW as media induced spin to give politicians more control over the world's populations.

I think Oliver Postgate (creator of bagpuss) sums it up neatly:
If we choose to believe the ‘doomsters’, and take the necessary steps to replace global warming with global cooling, civilization will have to revise its priorities and we shall, for a time, be mightily inconvenienced – and if at some later date, it might conceivably be proved to have been unnecessary – then we and our grandchildren will be alive and life on earth will continue.

If we choose to believe the ‘denyers’, decide that there is nothing to worry about and go on as usual, we shall be very comfortable, thank you – and if it should then become clear that the so-called ‘tipping point’ has passed and it is obvious that global warming has become runaway and irreversible – then we and our grandchildren will be dead and life on earth will cease.
http://www.newstatesman.com/200703160003

But it is unlikely that GW will become a 'runaway' situation for millions of years and certainly not in our or our grand children's lifetime. There is nothing unusual in the weather we are experiencing. It has happened before and we have had many extremes, conveniently forgotten by some. I have known it snow in June and I experienced the extreme cold winters of the late forties, the long hot summers of the fifties, sixties and seventies. Worst of all was the dreadful smog of the nineteen fifties - but I am still here and as fit as ever! I have no fear of the end of the world being nigh and neither should anyone else. It won't happen during our lifetimes, the next generations, or for hundreds after that. Just live for today and let tomorrow take care of itself. Life is too short to spend worrying about bull shine! And even shorter to start believing in anything this governemnt tells us.

I too was shaking my head in disbelief when one of the BBC's main stories was "the big easter getaway begins but what effect will it have on global warming".
Sounds like a reasonable segway to me, considering it is both Easter weekend, and agreement on the final wording of the IPCC report was reached, yesterday.

Hardly a statement that defies belief!

:rolleyes:

Through the age's of this country as soon as the peasants,(us) start to get a bit above there station, rulers of this country try to put us down. Most countrys what they class as a nesasity, is classed as a luxury over here. Cars,holidays ,fridges,etc. Now there using GW to put us down.

There is no proof whatsoever that 'man' is responsible for global warming. Whenever I ask the 'believers' to explain the causes of previous warm events, long before we had cars, planes and factories, they move on avoiding the answer.
You are obviously asking the wrong people. We only know that current warming is acyclic because of our knowledge of previous climate cycles.

There are many explanations for what is happening but they receive little publicity or are ignored. The sun controls our weather, mankind is not big enough to control or change the weather.
I don't think there are "many" alternative explanations. There are a few, and they don't fit the data. The Sun is obviously the dominant influence on our climate, because it supplies almost all of the energy that drives it. But there are many factors on the planet which affect climate, and these are quite properly the subject of study by climate scientists. Arguments from personal incredulity ("mankind is not big enough to change the weather") are not scientific arguments, and are accordingly treated with distain.

Cars have never been cleaner, the air has never been cleaner
And atmospheric CO2 levels have never been higher (not for millions of years, anyway). That's what we are talking about, remember? Greenhouse gases. Paradoxically, the reduction of other kinds of emissions has probably made the problem slightly worse.

Only ten years ago that was the flavour of the month - a new ice age is coming!
No, it wasn't. Show me the evidence that it was.

It is now, but only amongst some (mostly unnamed) Russian scientists favoured by Neil Jones (and you, presumably).

Common sense is all!
Common sense has its uses but is a very uncertain ally in scientific enquiry. I'm sorry, but scientific truths are revealed through vast amounts of hard work and painstaking examination of the evidence, not just by sitting in your armchair and being appalled about Tony Blair.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom