hypertrophy training

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by sheriffwoody, Aug 6, 2013.

1. sheriffwoody

sheriffwoody

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,526
    in the gym last night and got chatting to one of the PT's and after a discussion he reccommended that i gave hypertrophy/endurance training a try in order to gain muscle rather than strength.

he isn't the biggest of guys, there are definitely bigger/bulkier/more muscular looking guys in there, but he says he can more often than not out lift/push most of them (i know for a fact he can bench 150kg) - so i believe him. he is a lot stronger than he looks.

anyway, he said he now trains more with lighter weights and much higher reps (10-14 reps) rather than going in and training with really heavy weights for lower reps. he says he hardly ever trains now with max weights or to increase his one rep max, but says that he is still able to if need be. before his change of routine he would bench around 135kg, then went onto the endurance/hypertrophy side of things and with the reduced weight and higher reps he thought there was no way he would get near to his 135kg bench, but infact he blew it out the water with 150kg.

he is strict with the time between sets (about 35 seconds rest), which trains his body to have more endurance. I found this on a website earlier which was basically what he was saying
    "Or in other words, if you consistently train with low reps, heavy weights, with a lot of rest time, your body will adapt by being strong for one short burst, but will then require a decent rest period."

So yeah, i am thinking of giving it a go, with the idea of building a better core, ripping the muscles more, getting more blood into them etc.

i found this workout online, which is a mix of hypertrophy and strength, called the "savage 4x4" - The Savage 4x4: Strength/Hypertrophy Hybrid Workout | Muscle & Strength

Has anyone else done something similar to this before?

2. leamspaceman

leamspaceman
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,210
    I do six-week stints of hypertrophy training. I've been doing it for about 18-months now. I tend to start a hypertrophy programme when I hit a plateau in my strength training. It really does work.

I'm actually halfway through a hypertrophy stint now. It's a strange one because you are lowering your weights and it can initially feel 'easy.' The cumulative effect works wonders though. Like your friend, I'm not huge, but can out-lift many of the bigger guys.

I do 30 seconds rest between sets and try to leave minimal time between exercises.

One of the theories behind this type of training is that the same muscle groups should be exercised every 36 hours, just before the end of recovery.

Give it a try and keep us posted.

3. sheriffwoody

sheriffwoody

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,526
    thanks for that mate.

what is your routine at the moment you are working to? do you add weight onto the exercises when you can comfortably hit "x" amount of reps in each set?

4. sniffer66

sniffer66
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,706
    I do a 4 day lower/upper split where one lower day is lower rep/higher weight and the other is lighter weight/higher rep. Same for the upper body

That way you get the best of both worlds. You can train for both concurrently

5. leamspaceman

leamspaceman
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,210
    I've done differing routines. In the past I've done a full-body workout every other day with lower weights and higher reps. Right now I'm doing body part splits... 3 parts one day, three parts next... for 4 days with rest in between. Yes, I'll increase the weight when I can reach my rep target. However, you have to take into account that you might be able to do 3 sets of 12 reps with 'x' weight, but when you increase you might not reach 12 reps on set 2 and 3. This can be disheartening. So, before you increase weight, make sure you're definitely getting your rep target on ALL 3 sets, with good form and with only 30 secs rest between sets. If you deviate from this and try to increase weight too soon, you'll end up frustrated. Be patient.

However... I'm going to try the mix of hypertrophy/strength training that the link in your OP explains and is, in effect, what 'sniffer66' is doing:thumbsup: Until I looked at your link and read 'sniffer66's post I'd never heard of the mixed routine... so thanks to you both for that:smashin:

It's always good to hear about new routines.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  6. sheriffwoody

sheriffwoody

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,526
    sounds like i will give the hyper/strength mix a go then.

shame i can't create some kind of app to keep up to date with it - the SL 5x5 app is excellent.

might just make an excel spreadsheet and use that to keep up to date.

7. leamspaceman

leamspaceman
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,210
    Exactly how I do it :smashin:

8. sniffer66

sniffer66
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,706
    Like this ? :smashin:

This is Tom Venutos TNB Workout by the way, used by a lot of folk over on the BTFFTM forums. Has a very good rep

Done as an upper-lower Mon/Tues, Thurs/Fri if possible

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  9. leamspaceman

leamspaceman
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,210
    That's a great spreadsheet.

I've done my own for the 'Savage 4x4' and attached it. I'm going to have a go at that for a few weeks then try the Tom Venutos one.

With the 'Savage 4x4' I'll also do some additional ab work and some forearm work too as I'm really trying to strengthen my grip right now.

Attached Files:

10. sniffer66

sniffer66
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,706
    Yeah, would like to claim it as my own but done by a forum member. I just use it as a blank template and sub in any routine I like now. Great for keeping track of progress. Enjoy

11. silent ninja

silent ninja

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +825
    Periodisation is best. You don't need to stick to one method over another and I am always suspicious of people who say "You should do X to get Y because I did it and it worked therefore it's the only way to get to Y." Every man and his dog has a different idea of what is 'optimal' training in the gym, so I would take all of it with a pinch of salt, understand the underlying principles and give everything a go. The truth is we respond differently. All i've been doing is hitting strength low reps since I hit the gym, and only in the recent few weeks have I started mixing light days and heavy days (a bit like Texas method), and I think i've added a fair bit of mass even on 3-6 reps.

I like Jonny Candito's programme. It has really good programming and is athletic/functional as well as strength and bodybuilding. The explosive and athletic work is neglected in many programmes. Here's the link to the PDF: Candito Training HQ

You should clearly define your goals. If you want size then you should realise that there are big guys who aren't very strong, small guys that are very strong but don't pack much muscle and so on. You need to pick the right programme, rest and eat a LOT of food to add on mass. Size and strength aren't as closely related as people think. Also (THIS IS ONLY MY OPINION) when you are only going for that pump and doing high reps, you get a lot of sacroplasmic hypertrophy which makes your muscles look big but soft and puffy. I like hard looking muscles. You can easily distinguish the difference and I just find it more aesthetically pleasing. Unless you get your fat levels down, it's irrelevant though.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  12. leamspaceman

leamspaceman
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,210
    Great post... and spot on:smashin:

Different things work for different people. One of the things I find when discussing training with others who train is how quickly many of them will tell you that what you're doing is wrong. To be honest it's made me wary of discussing my routine and how I train with anyone and is one reason I've just recently become active on this part of the forums. Just last week a guy at my gym randomly approached me and told me my bicep curl method was wrong. It wasn't... but I watched his techniques as he trained and they were terrible. Sure, advice is great if it's constructive but there does seem to be a proliferation of those who want to dis your training.

Like you said, big doesn't mean strong. Only today I was watching a pretty big guy doing bicep curls and he was arm/elbow-swinging with 7.5kg on each end of the bar. I had 15kg on each end and did 4x6 maintaining perfect form throughout... yet my arms aren't that big to be honest. I just got on with my routine though and left him to his.

CV work is important to me too, but may not be for others. I went on a 10-mile run the other morning. It was early morning and nice to be out in the cool morning air. First thing I was told when I mentioned it to someone... "be careful doing that, you're burning muscle." A "well done" might have been nice. Then someone looked at me in horror when I said I'd eaten 2 slices of corned-beef... "it's very fatty" I was told. "Only 4g of fat per slice" I replied... "that's alot" came the response.

Changing things around is good. It's great if you have a wide range of exercises that you can do correctly and that you can draw on to keep things varied.

13. sheriffwoody

sheriffwoody

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,526
    i just want to look like i actually go to the gym - it sounds silly but i watch a bit of wwe wrestling (stop laughing) and would like a "big" body like john cena or ryback etc eventually. ideally i would love to be like brock lesnar from 2003ish - that guy looked amazing and was freakishly strong - there was certainly no "big man but not very strong" about him, he was as strong as an ox, picking 450lb+ people up on his shoulders etc.

i am just thinking about giving the hypertrophy thing a go as it is something different from what i usually do - it might trick/shock my body into progressing forward and i want to get over my bench press plateau (i did 3 reps at 90kg the other day, but would love to get up to 6+ reps at 100kg and then push on).