HyperThreading on new Pentium D dual cores?

dr_mabuse

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all
Is it correct that the new Pentium D dual core processors are all not currently HT enabled? That being the case are they worth getting just yet? I realise that HT efficiency depends on the SMP properties of the app running, but it just seems like getting a new mobo/cpu combo right now featuring a Pentium D might not be worth it, given that it is not going at full chat without the HT element running?

Or have I missed the point? :D

dr_m

The only Dual Core Pentium which supports HT is the Pentium D 840, which retails at £700...hehehe, you ever want to know anything about Intel Cpu's or motherbaord check there website, they have everything, they even list every board which uses there chipset, no mater who manufactures it, Abit/asus/MSI, it's all there..., just need to know where to look, if you have any questiosn go there...

Link

erm...I always like to believe I may be wrong, but I dont think any of the normal intel dual core cpu;s support ht technology, only the extreme edition 840 does.

The intel site doesnt seem to make mention of ht technology in the normal 840 chip...I have an 820 and that sure as heck doesnt have ht...

However, the 840 extreme edition does have ht..

Werner said:
erm...I always like to believe I may be wrong, but I dont think any of the normal intel dual core cpu;s support ht technology, only the extreme edition 840 does.

The intel site doesnt seem to make mention of ht technology in the normal 840 chip...I have an 820 and that sure as heck doesnt have ht...

However, the 840 extreme edition does have ht..

yes I edited it out of my post, but it is the 840 Extreme edition which supports HT, I thought there was only one 840?, but it's called the Pentium D Extreme Edition...

The Intel Pentium 4 "LGA775 Prescott" 3.73GHz Extreme Edition still beats the 840 Extreme Edtion on many benchmarks...currently the Top Intel CPU...

HT on dual cores must be a mess, its bad enough with HT one one core arguin over cache let alone on a rather hastily implemented dual core! :eek:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom