Hybrid Fibre HDMI or Extender for 4k...

ajburnet

Novice Member
Hi folks!

Would appreciate some opinions. Ive had some trouble with my multi display projector and TV) setup in relation to good 'ol long HDMI runs over the last two years (so am keen to sort once and for all!).

I've tried a few HDMI cables for the long run to the TV, an active copper (Redmere from Monoprice) which dropped out all the time, and then a full fibre HDMI cable. My projector (Optoma UHD60) constantly dropped out with the fibre cable and I've since re-located things so it works off a certified 25ft HDMI cable just fine.

The run to the TV is the fibre HDMI cable and its over 25ft / 8m. Its mostly ok but the Nvidia Shield in particular loses sync often (so not a handshake issue). I gather this is not uncommon with full fibre long HDMI runs. I did run a shielded CAT6a run when I recently sorted the projector as a backup as I expected this might happen given my projector wasnt a fan of the fibre cable either.

So I have two options and would appreciate peoples experience on this please.

1.) Use an HDMI extender thats 4k certified (it support all codecs I need, i.e. ATMOS and HDR / Dolby Vision) and would be an easy install as I have the backup CAT6 run in place. Its this extender: HDMI 2.0 18GBPS Extender Over Cat 5E/6 with Bi-directional Infra-red Extender

Extender is on special here for $199 AUD which is good value for Aus

or

2.) Run a new Rui Pro hybrid fibre cable - bit more work as I need to lift the roof sheeting again and pull out the old one and re-run it.

Cable is $289 here for the length I need.

I've used extenders previously with 1080p setups with no issues but 4k is always tricky...

What do people think?

Thanks all!

Alex.

Otto Pylot

It's always best, especially when running 4k HDR over long distances is to use a single cable, source to sink, with no wall plates, adapters, extenders, etc in-between.

Using solid core UTP CAT-6 (non CCA/CCS and not CAT-6 ethernet) cable terminated with HDBT is one way but there are issues with that as well.

Some projectors have issues with active cables probably due to inconsistent current output at the HDMI port which affects the chipsets in the sink end of the active cable. Sometimes using a voltage inserter can help because they deliver a constant 5v/500mA output to the cable.

If you use the new Ruipro4k hybrid fiber cable (recommended) then lay it out on the floor first and test it to make sure that it will meet your expected needs before installation. Installing your cable in a conduit (can be a bit of work but worth it), along with a pull string is highly recommended as well. Using a conduit is the only way to future proof your cabling. It's also the easiest and safest way to run in-wall cabling because you can control bend radius much better which can affect signal continuity over time.

ajburnet

Novice Member
Thanks.

Yes - I agree, I'm using no face plates between them. Unfortunately running conduit at this stage isn't possible as its obviously post build and the cable runs through an outer wall, I call re run it using the old one to pull it through, its just a pain in the A and am a little over trying multiple cables that always have issues!

Tempted to try the 4k extender which would just use the shielded and per-terminated run I installed (which isnt CCA) thats there already - if it doesn't work I return and try the RuiPro. Just curious to see what success people have had with the newer extenders and whether thats worth bothering with My previous 1080p were solid and reliable.

Thanks again.

Otto Pylot

What works for HD (1080) is no guarantee that it will work for 4k HDR, and in a lot of cases it won't due to the requirements of pushing 4k HDR. You can use the existing cable to pull a hybrid fiber but you need to be very careful that you don't pull or twist up the connector ends to avoid damaging the cable.

Is the CAT-6 cable solid copper core (which is not terminated and sold in spools) or terminated CAT-6 ethernet cable?

ajburnet

Novice Member
What works for HD (1080) is no guarantee that it will work for 4k HDR, and in a lot of cases it won't due to the requirements of pushing 4k HDR. You can use the existing cable to pull a hybrid fiber but you need to be very careful that you don't pull or twist up the connector ends to avoid damaging the cable.

Is the CAT-6 cable solid copper core (which is not terminated and sold in spools) or terminated CAT-6 ethernet cable?
Thankd 4k HDR HDMI is generally a pain on long runs for sure!
I think I may try the extender as its an easy option - if its notsolid I can easily return it and try the ruipro.

The cat6a is technically STP and was bought terminated when bought (to ensure it would be a decent termination). Its this:

Will see how I go. Its a bit of trial and error at this stage! Ruipro sounds reliable but there is always unavoidable risk of damage when running it - having said that, with the roof sheet up I have good access to the top plate so risk is more damaging the connector on the way up!

thanks again - thoughts much appreciated.

Alex

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom