HXD970 setup help?

olddevlin

Standard Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm following this guide to set up my Sony DVDR, Sky digital box (not plus), and HDTV.

I'm following this guide...

http://support.sony-europe.com/tutorials/tv/diagrams/connection_hd.asp?l=en&ct=hav&d=hd_09

...but I just don't understand what the RF cables are used for?

At the moment I have it set up like this:

SKY DISH---aerial cable---SKY DIGITAL BOX---scart---DVDR---scart_TV.

...and everything seems ok, without the RF cables.

Also, in the manual, why does it class this setup (setup B) as "For analogue broadcasting" when it's obviously a digital setup?:confused:

...but I just don't understand what the RF cables are used for?

The EPG data is normally delivered via UHF cable on an ITV [ Terrestrial analogue]
Also, in the manual, why does it class this setup (setup B) as "For analogue broadcasting" when it's obviously a digital setup?:confused:

The only part of your set up that is digital is the sky digital satellite receiver.

The "For analogue broadcasting" refers to reception of Terrestrial analogue by the DVDR ... as opposed to the digital setup which is for receiving Terrestrial digital - i.e. Freeview.

To follow up this query, if ONLY using Sky does the DVR have to be connected to an aerial, either to receive an analogue or a digital signal (for Freeview) in order to operate correctly.

I had to return a 970 because it crashed (it locked on the WELCOME message). I only had it connected to my Sky decoder. There is nothing in the manual that states that it must be attached to an aerial in order to complete initial setup or to receive updates.

Has anyone got this machine connected to their decoder only.

Cheers

To follow up this query, if ONLY using Sky does the DVR have to be connected to an aerial, either to receive an analogue or a digital signal (for Freeview) in order to operate correctly.

I had to return a 970 because it crashed (it locked on the WELCOME message). I only had it connected to my Sky decoder. There is nothing in the manual that states that it must be attached to an aerial in order to complete initial setup or to receive updates.

Has anyone got this machine connected to their decoder only.

Cheers

An aerial connection is required to be able to provide EPG Data via analogue and updates via digital.

[ Aside - This causes me to wonder what Sony intend to do about the supply of EPG data after the analogue shut-down ]

I doubt the machine had actually crashed. More likely it was looking endlessly for stations it could not find because it had no aerial.

I presume, but don't know, that it would be possible to go into the menus and override the scanning... so you could use it without an aerial ... but it would be partially crippled.

I use my 870 with my SKY+ box. It's connected via RGB Scart only, no aerial lead. At initial setup I just cancelled the scanning of channels as I don't intend to use it that way. If I did, I understand that I can go back to setup and rescan after connecting an aerial lead.

Only thing I am now a little concerned about is the updates from Sony. Is this something I should address?

Edit: whilst on this topic of setup, can anyone shed any light on the "decoder" option for Line 1 - can't understand what that means at all. I've got my SKY scart going into Line 1 and at weekend I tried setting Line 1 to decoder (from RGB) and it seemed to lock everything up. Had to reset the machine and go through setup again to change it back to RGB.

Only thing I am now a little concerned about is the updates from Sony. Is this something I should address?

I suggest you keep an eye on this thread:
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=606120
...and see if any updates arise as a result of some the issues that are described there. You can then decide if you need to take action. If need be you could take the unit to a location that has an aerial in order to get the update if and when it is broadcast... or get an aerial.
Edit: whilst on this topic of setup, can anyone shed any light on the "decoder" option for Line 1 - can't understand what that means at all. I've got my SKY scart going into Line 1 and at weekend I tried setting Line 1 to decoder (from RGB) and it seemed to lock everything up. Had to reset the machine and go through setup again to change it back to RGB.

I don't know the detail but I gather that switching to the Decoder option makes Line 1 dedicated to the function.
Evidently communication lines are setup so that channels details and control can be communicated between the devices.
Note that the unit has to be off prior to connection so that proper initialisation can take place.
Assuming you are working from the same manual as me [ for 770/ 870/ 970/ 1070 ] then have a look at pages 14 / 15 / 33 about this issue.

Thanks for the info, which I've just read, but it doesn't make a lot of sense to me I'm afraid. What exactly does this do - will I see my SKY channels on the recorder menus or does it do something else? Sorry to be so dumb!

Apologies to OP for taking over his thread :smashin:

Thanks for the info, which I've just read, but it doesn't make a lot of sense to me I'm afraid. What exactly does this do - will I see my SKY channels on the recorder menus or does it do something else? Sorry to be so dumb!

Apologies to OP for taking over his thread :smashin:

Sorry visioneer- I missed this post.

Yes as far as I know - your sky channels will be presented in the recorder menus...but only IF it can get the data ... which it cant from analogue in your case - because you don't have an aerial ... in which case you have to configure your machine to receive it from Sky sports.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom