HXD870 Picture quality, when ripping DVD -AVI on PC

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by dcoop, Feb 2, 2009.

1. dcoop

dcoop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi, im just wondering if many people actually do this and what their picture quality is like as a result.

I've been messing around with it and had a lot of episodes of a TV show on the HDD. Some recorded in SP, some in ESP..probably some in LSP too actually.

Anyway..I didnt have the DVDs available to start dubbing them all to disc, and with them being in various formats it would've been a mess on anyway, and you cant get that many on when they're DVD format either.

So I thought i'd try dubbing them to a re-writable a few at a time, then ripping them off there and converting them into avi files in the process. As it turns out, this leaves me with, at times, a pretty shocking picture. Like this one for example, not zoomed in or anything, just cropped:
    [​IMG]

Im just wondering if this is just the way the DVD recorder does its recording? In such a way that results in a bad picture if converted to any other format? Or do you think it might be the software I use to rip?

Im sure I had no problem when using an old panasonic DVD recorder a couple of years ago, when I copied a wedding video from a camera, to a DVD..ripped the DVD to an avi so I could then edit it in movie maker. The pic quality was never that bad.

Any ideas?

2. Gadgetcity

Gadgetcity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    That looks horrible. Apart from anything else, those horizontal lines look to be the result of an interlaced signal not being handled correctly.

3. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,097
    This is nothing more than the ghastly effects of MPEG over-compression.

If you are ever thinking of saving anything you should never use the 'joke' qualities of LSP and ESP... In fact it better to pretend you do not have such settings on your machine and to never use them unless you are critically pushed for space.
    SP is the best general compromise setting to use for everything.

You have not mentioned how you copied them. [ High speed or real time].
    If they were copied using real time, that means yet another encoding which will have degraded the quality still further... and yet another encoding when you converted to AVI.

MPEG2 is already a hugely compressed medium. It's really not a good idea to stretch it further with more compression.

The golden rule of dealing with video is start in a good quality and thereafter avoid ever having to re-encode the data again.

Every re-encode throws away a MASSIVE amount of data.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  4. dcoop

dcoop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I dubbed in high speed. I was getting a pushed for space when I changed over to LSP and eventually ESP mode. It doesnt seem that much different when just watching it on the DVDs HDD to my eyes to be honest.

So this bad picture comes purely because of the conversion and compression into a new format when it gets made into a divx or xvid avi file you think then?

I have even tested one that I recorded in HQ..dubbed to the re-writable..and then ripped to an avi..and though it was a bit better there was definitely still some visual degradation.

I assume I wouldnt get this problem if I ripped a store bought DVD to avi(not sure if thats legal or whatever) as that would only encounter the one bit of compression/conversion?

5. ramjet

ramjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +622
    I would use MN21 SP mode , or MN 18 or MN15 modes , as these can be fast dubbed to a +RW disk from thge hdd

once on the pc , try a divx compression program

I have done some from "proper" dvd,s that were on dvd 4.7 single layer ( rips of proper films ) and the divx play back fine on the sony

so I would try SP mode to hdd , fastdub to +RW verbatim disks , and then try a divx compression

personally I put 4 episodes in MN15 mode to the +RW disk , and then re-author in TMPGenc dvd author to a single layer -R dvd disk on the pc

6. dcoop

dcoop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Okay..i'll give that one a try and see if I get anywhere.

Generally what is the size of your output files after all conversions?

For say a 40 minute long file?

Are we talking around 350mb with a decent picture? or much bigger?

7. ramjet

ramjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +622
    this will vary depending on the source , the compression program and the setting of the compression , as you can declare the output size yourself in these programs

a film is typically from 700mb to 1400mb when downloaded from the net , and a series episode of 40 minutes is typically around 350mb

so the aim is to get around 350mb for every 45 minutes or so of your footage , which means a 90 minute film is say 700mb

but its up to you and the pc to achieve this , along with the divx programs you are using , its not really anything to do with the recorder apart from using say SP mode FOR GOOD QUALITY , and HIGH SPEED DUBBING to avoid re-encoding

8. dcoop

dcoop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Okay, cheers. Will see how I get on.