HXD710 and recording Sky

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Penfold73, Oct 30, 2005.

1. Penfold73

Penfold73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Am I right to think that the only way to record from Sky is to use the manual timer record and to select and leave running the channel you want to record on the Sky box?

Many thanks,

P

2. Rojo Habe

Rojo Habe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    That's the way I record Cable. You can set the timer on your Sky box and set the 710 to Synchro Record, which means it'll start recording as soon as your STB turns on. Touble with this is, it'll start recording if you turn the Sky box on manually.

As I mentioned, I have Cable, so my STB runs on clockwork and steam, so setting the timer on the 710 is the only sensible option. I don't know much about Sky, but does it support Smartlink? If so, you could set the timer on your Sky box and it'd tell the Sony to start recording at the appropriate time. There are problems with this too, though. Smartlink only works on the Line 1 SCART (normally where you'd plug your telly in) and it won't work if it's set to RGB. So, if you swapped the SCART leads round on the back of the 710 it might (or might not) work, but only if you don't mind sacrificing picture quality.

How I do it on Cable:

1) Set a timer on the 710
    2) Set a reminder on the Cable box
    3) Hope to god the Cable box doesn't crash, freeze, forget to switch channel, switch to the wrong channel, lose the audio, any or all of the above, or foul up in some other way I've not seen yet.

Of course, you've got Sky, so hopefully number 3 won't apply ;).

3. Penfold73

Penfold73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Thanks Rojo. If only they could sync up properly and integrate the EPGs. Oh well, somewhere in the realms of co-operation and fantasy....