1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HX510 Quality Questions?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by ScottW75, Aug 26, 2005.

1. ScottW75

ScottW75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +674
    I bought a pioneer 585 recently and i think there is too much drive noise so i'm thinking of selling it to buy a sony HX510.

Willl the playback/audio quality of the 510 be as good/better than the 585 on R1/R2 DVD's?

Also, does the 510 support NTSC and PAL progressive??

2. McPop72

McPop72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hope this helps:

Finally stopped dithering and plumped for the Sony RDR-HX510 (£309 for multiregion version from KK Electronics) over a potential DMREH60 purchase

Granted it doesn't have an internal freeview tuner like the Panasonic DMREH60 or the 200GB memory but these were willing sacrifices given there is no guarantee of freeview reception where I am moving. If I want digital channels in the future I will either get a Sky+ box (with it's internal 80 GB HD) at £80 or the freeview box from Sony (VTX-D800) also at around £80 which has Smartlink and can automatically set the HX510 (saves programming two separate units). The HX510 and one of these units comes in at less than £400

I have to say that having owned a Panasonic DVD recorder in the past (DMRE55), the superior quality of the HX510 is tangible in many respects. I completely agree with Staiger that the standard of on-screen graphics on Panasonic recorders is poor. At close to £500 you really would expect better for your money. Programming on the Sony is slick, more straightforward and polished. I have only recorded in SP mode so far but the quality is excellent. The build quality of the unit is also far superior to the Panasonic with it's flappy plastic dvd drive cover

The information gleaned on this forum in conjunction with reading reviews and seeing the units in the flesh, has been invalauble in making my decision. Many thanks

3. ScottW75

ScottW75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +674
    thanks for your reply.

I guess what i really want to know is if the 510 is as good at playing pre recorded
    dvd's as the 955 sony player is?