Question HWT250EB only outputting 4.3 HD & SD pictures on selected channels

Damo121

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased a Panasonic HWT250EB Freeview box but am only receiving 4.3 pictures on selected HD and SD channels, ie BBC1 & 2, ITV1. Other HD channels like BBC Four and BBC News are strangely not affected. My tv is a wall mounted VT50. I did have a Sony Freeview DVD recorder running previously from the male/female aerial which I am using now for the HWT250EB.

Thanks in advance guys.

This is a settings issue. I have an older Panasonic pvr and it's either in the menus somewhere, or perhaps in the TV settings. I don't think that it's a fault.

Clem

Some programmes (usually old ones) are transmitted as 4:3 in a 16:9 frame on the HD channels? So these appear as pillar-boxed. Otherwise ALL HD channels are 16:9 natively.

I assume you've tried cycling through the <aspect> options on the VT50 and also the recorder if the remote has such a button?

It matters to the problem whether or not you are referring to 'received programmes / channels' or 'recorded programmes / channels', because if you happen to use EP mode ( not recommended) and the aspect ratio in settings, is set to 'Automatic', then titles will be recorded in 4:3.

Otherwise and anyway - Goto Functions / Setup / Connection / TV Aspect and confirm that the setting is set to 16:9.
Thereafter use the TV aspect controls to change aspect ratios...Preferably to 'Automatic' if it has such a setting.

There is also another setting (in the same menu location as above, titled: 'Aspect for 4:3 Video') that determines how the machine handles content that IS broadcast in 4:3.
Change the setting according to your preference.

The options are:

To play a 4:3 title, set how to show pictures on a 16:9 TV.

• 4:3: Picture output expands left or right.
• 16:9: Picture is output as original aspect with side panels.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I have tried going through the settings and changing aspect ratios on the TV to 'Auto' but then 4.3 material is stretched and I can't view it like that. On the flipside It does show the correct format on the Freeview recorder. The Freeview menu is set to 16.9 but when I put the TV back on 4.3 the affected SD & HD are still in 4.3 yet other channels are in there correct 'Wide' format.

Thanks guys, I have tried going through the settings ...
Do you mean the settings in the '250 itself - which is what my settings are referring to?

If you do mean that and it has made no difference , give the unit a mains reset ( 5 minute disconnection and try once more.

I suggest doing the same with the TV - I think it is it is much more likely to be an issue with the way that unit is handling Aspect signalling.

Do you mean the settings in the '250 itself - which is what my settings are referring to?

If you do mean that and it has made no difference , give the unit a mains reset ( 5 minute disconnection and try once more.

I suggest doing the same with the TV - I think it is it is much more likely to be an issue with the way that unit is handling Aspect signalling.

Have disconnected and reset both the '250 and TV and it hasn't made any difference.

Just a thought but may it have something to do with the main RF aerial going into the TV and not the '250.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom