HW40es v HW50es

moorz

Standard Member
I'm looking to pick up a Sony HW40es or HW50es, a good solid HD projector that suits my specific throw ratio.
Just wondering if anyone knows of a big difference between them or would recommend one over the other?

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
The 50 has a dynamic iris which means it can do fade to black properly. The Iris should also help in darker scenes. Basically it closes the iris down in dark scenes to make the whole image darker.

If I were you, I'd get whichever model has the least used bulb, rather than prioritise the dynamic iris because thats probably going to play a larger value proposition in your ownership of the projector and allow a very easy re-sale if needed.

Both have Sony's awesome image processing and motion. If you are a fan of oversharpened images, then you'll also love Sony's reality creation. Its near-silent in operation and even its high mode is quiet compared to the competition, extremely low input lag so versatile enough for gaming etc.

It's not going to beat a JVC for blacks but obviously the pros I've mentioned above are quite solid for a first solid HD projector.

moorz

Standard Member
Thanks for the reply. Reckon you're right, probably minimal difference between the 2 for my needs so will concentrate on the best model available 👍

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the reply. Reckon you're right, probably minimal difference between the 2 for my needs so will concentrate on the best model available 👍

Yup, just concentrate on lamp life IMO. It'll be a better value-proposition than the dynamic iris.

I have one I might be putting up at some point on classifields that has like 350h. I got it at 15 hours. Sony motion blew the Epson 9400 I had out of the water.

moorz

Standard Member
Yeah, would be interested alright. My issue is that I'm based in Ireland and I see in the classifieds that posting isn't the norm due to risk of damage so I'm on the lookout over here.
But yeah, if there's a reliable and safe delivery method I'd be interested 👍

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom