HW40ES Dust Blob??

DuffCalifornia

Novice Member
Reaction score
So, I just received an HW40ES I purchased off eBay. I fire it up, get everything aligned, and then I see this:

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

The spot only shows up when the screen is dark. When the screen has color, the spot disappears. It also disappears in the letterbox part of the screen so long as the image in the main frame isn't dark/black.

Some research made me think it's a dust blob, but MORE research leads me to believe that the Sony has a sealed light path.

What's the likelihood that this is something on the bulb-side of the light path, or on the bulb itself? I'm a bit anxious to find this out because I only have a 30 day window to return this to the eBay seller, and I'm getting conflicting messages from Sony as to whether this is covered by warranty or not.

Anybody here experienced this with this or a similar model? If so, what was the fix?

I don't think that's a dust blob.
As True Romance says you can normally focus so the dust blob becomes sharp and you can clearly see what it is.

I would definitely return it. I think it has a panel problem.

Defocus the lens, if the blob gets sharper it may be something on the panel (dust or other issue). As you change focus on the lens you take the panels out of focus, and bring into focus things that are either in front of or behind the panel.

When I've had dust blobs on my LCD they've looked like that but relatively a bit smaller - the colour depends on which colour panel the blobs are on. For single chip DLP the blobs are monochrome (which does suffer dust blobs despite the myths, especially on low-end units). Having said that, it is a bit big to be a blob (though that might be to do with your zoom setting and how far out of focus it is, so defocusing might give a better indication of size).

SXRD is supposed to be sealed light path, but of course from ebay it could be anything if the unit is second hand. In the UK for example I'm sure there is stuff coming out of Sony's service centre by some route and onto ebay / gumtree.

So I played with the focus and it didn't sharpen the spot, it just made it smaller as the image size got smaller.

FWIW, changing the image orientation back to "right side up" (which displays to me upside down) did not change the location of the anomaly either.

I suppose I'll give it the old college try and open it up after it cools to just make sure it isn't a quick fix, but I suppose I'll be returning this.

So I played with the focus and it didn't sharpen the spot, it just made it smaller as the image size got smaller.

FWIW, changing the image orientation back to "right side up" (which displays to me upside down) did not change the location of the anomaly either.

I suppose I'll give it the old college try and open it up after it cools to just make sure it isn't a quick fix, but I suppose I'll be returning this.
Don't open it up just send it back as faulty.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom