Hustlers Review & Comments

OK Kumari, you've just convinced me to watch a J-Lo film.

Must admit her previous forays into cinema have been less than convincing, (in fact her acting has been so wooden you'd think she'd been sponsored by the Forestry Commission) - anyone remember The Back-up Plan?
No - me neither.
And after ten minutes of Enough I'd had, erm, enough.
But I'm all for rehabilitation and second chances so I'll give it a try - possibly more in hope than expectation.

Seeing this next week, got three movies on the list then......Ad Astra, Rambo : Last Blood and Hustlers will make for a nice day of cinema :)

Before she became “J-Lo” the product, Lopez more than held her own against Clooney in Out of Sight. As already mentioned, she was definitely an actress of great potential in the late 90s but then her film career seemingly took a backseat when she became a pop star known for having a big bum.

Because of George Clooney, Sean Penn and Nick Nolte (not to mention directors Steven Soderburgh and Oliver Stone)

I'm sure that the directors brought out the best of her, but you could say the same about the male actors, and you can't say that Lopez didn't more than hold her own in Out of Sight. The scene where the thug tries to assault her in his house is superb, ratcheting up the tension and then having her bring down the hammer. And her chemistry with Clooney was sublime.

She's done quite well for a musician turned actress, better than pretty much anybody else, surely?

Aside from the ones above - Out of Sight, U-Turn and The Cell - I thought she was great opposite Redford in An Unfinished Life, and had some nice early turns in the likes of Money Train (Snipes and Harrelson), Blood & Wine (Caine and Nicholson) and even the first trashy Anaconda (although Voight's hamtastic villain stole that show).

As noted, I think she had to balance her pop life / american idol gig etc. with her film 'career' where nobody really took her very seriously partly because she was a huge sex symbol, and I also think the Affleck years didn't help (Gigli), nor multiple very public marriages / woes.

I'm sure that the directors brought out the best of her, but you could say the same about the male actors, and you can't say that Lopez didn't more than hold her own in Out of Sight. The scene where the thug tries to assault her in his house is superb, ratcheting up the tension and then having her bring down the hammer. And her chemistry with Clooney was sublime.

She's done quite well for a musician turned actress, better than pretty much anybody else, surely?

Aside from the ones above - Out of Sight, U-Turn and The Cell - I thought she was great opposite Redford in An Unfinished Life, and had some nice early turns in the likes of Money Train (Snipes and Harrelson), Blood & Wine (Caine and Nicholson) and even the first trashy Anaconda (although Voight's hamtastic villain stole that show).

As noted, I think she had to balance her pop life / american idol gig etc. with her film 'career' where nobody really took her very seriously partly because she was a huge sex symbol, and I also think the Affleck years didn't help (Gigli), nor multiple very public marriages / woes.
Therein lies the danger, public 'knowing' her overtaking near anything she does.
If I hadn't seen U Turn or Out of Sight, I may well have just raised that knowing eyebrow and said, Pass. But(t), I will give this a go and trust the strip scenes won't turn this into a struggle of tasteful arm gazing, well placed champagne bottles and spoil things from the raw nature of exploitation that it proposes to exchange from the women to the men.
The cover picture for the review made me laugh, as I don't think mate would be staring at J-Lo's hairdo!

Watched this today, really enjoyed it it has been on my radar since I saw the trailer.

After listening to last week's podcast I was hoping Steve Withers would be doing the review for this one.

Barbra Streisand?
An Oscar, an Emmy, a Tony, a Grammy and a Golden Globe may just give her the edge over lard arse ;)
Cher was half decent in Witches of Eastwick.
And Bjork was good in some Lars von Trier film who's name I've forgotten.
But you're right - the Female Singers Who Thought They Could Act field is somewhat limited, when the only other ones i could think of are Rihanna, Mariah Carey and Janet Jackson.
Although you could argue Carey's acting is no worse than her singing.

Last edited:
^ According to her wiki, you're right. Dancer turned actress then singer. Skimmed through it though so not sure if I've missed anything.

This has taken me by surprise for sure. Most likely a lot of people in fact. And I never thought I'd see Lopez being talked about for an Oscar either!

It also has julia stiles in it, really like her, iwas hoping it was prime/netflix fodder though. i'm not going to the cinema to see this.

This has taken me by surprise for sure. Most likely a lot of people in fact. And I never thought I'd see Lopez being talked about for an Oscar either!

Same here. I never took her for a good actress -- not that I'm a good judge. But I do remember her being panned for her performance in a romantic movie she was in, and in my mind, that critique stuck.

As of today, it's now on Amazon Prime for all those interested -

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
No 4K option though. That I can see.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom