1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hush Mini-Itx PC

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by cwinson, Mar 13, 2003.

1. cwinson

cwinson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone seen the new Hush Mini-Itx PC (http://www.hushtechnologies.net/) which is coming soon to http://www.mini-itx.com

It looks v. cool, and would be a great building block for a silent HTPC that fits neatly into a hi-fi rack.

I guess my initial reservations would be :

1) How big a CPU can it take - indications are a 1GHz
    2) How many PCI cards can it take - some confusing info here, seems to suggest 1, maybe 2 with a riser card (whatever that is)

I would ideally like to build an HTPC for the following purposes :

1) Scaler for Sky+/XBox - Component/SDI in, DVI out
    2) MP3 jukbox
    3) DVD playback - if better than my DV27 into TW100
    4) Playing movie trailers
    5) PC Games - (maybe) ?
    6) Web browsing / E-mail (maybe)

Anyone got any thoughts on the box, and it's suitability for the above requirements...

Chris

2. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    It looks quite a nice case doesn't it. I'm certainly interested, I'm down on the email list for more info.

1) CPU - If the same as other EPIA based boards it will be a fixed chip at 1Ghz, but ti should be overclockable to 1.1Ghz with no extra cooling etc needed.

2) PCI - It can take 2 PCI cards in that case.

It should be able to do all the items on your list. It will probably not be too hot with games though.

Personnally for my next HCPC/PC I will using an Nvidia N'Force based board, probably version 3 by the time I'm looking, in a decent LMP or similar case. This will probably be more suited to what you are looking at also.

The mini-ITX based PC's are great for living room useage and web-surfing, and very good value for money in what they do. But they are not suitabel I wouldn't think for top notch HCPC useage.

3. cskates

cskates
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    From the rear picture of the case (http://www.hushtechnologies.net/about2.htm) there's only one PCI slot. The slot looks to be quite restricted by the HD and USB ports so the card would need to be quite short in length, and the restricted airflow would mean that a high powered graphics card is probably a non-starter. On the plus side, it's a nice looking case, silent, S-Video and SP/DIF outputs etc plenty of processing power for audio and DVD playback, older games more than enough for applications.

4. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    There was something similar tested in the PC Pro mag a few months ago. Not sure if it is the same case.

Shame if t only takes one PCI card.

I would need two, one for graphics and the other for the sound as i assume the onboard will not ba as good as m_adio Revolution 7.1?

5. cwinson

cwinson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    petrolhead,

Can you pls explain what you gain from a separate sound card :blush:. The motherbord has SPDIF (digital coax I believe) output so I was thinking of just sending digital to my processor.

Also, there is still some confusion about the number of PCI slots on this box - I guess we'll find out more as time goes on.

Assuming there may be only one slot, does anyone know if there are joint video capture / graphics cards available which will still allow for scaling capabilities ?

Chris

6. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    I'm currently using a Dell and the on-board sound had not S/PDIF out and was vary basic so needed a card.

I am concerned about the quality of the S/PDIF on the on-board sound compared to the M-Audio