1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hush boxes?????

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Gee, Jul 6, 2001.

1. Gee

Gee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I've got a Seleco SLC600 LCD projector and the cooling fan is quite noisy so I was thinking of constructing a hush box for it. Does anyone know the best way to build one? Any hints and tips would be gratefully received! :D

Cheers,

Gee.

2. Gary Palmer

Gary Palmer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Gee

Just be VERY VERY careful.

I once fried a DLP projector by trying to dull the fan sound....... it still worked but the casing actually melted..when it shutdown the lights all went out and I needed a quick underpants change.
    :eek:

Then when I switched it back on after 30 minutes of praying and cooling off I needed to change underpants again when it still worked.

The fans are there for a reason. If you have a hush box you'll need to extract the hot air and let cool air in. Not easy to do.

The best solutions I've seen involve mounting the projector in an adjacent room firing through the wall.....

I compromised by putting an MDF baffle around the projector which does not close the projector off but does deaden the sound quite a bit. Makes a useful G+T table as well (projector on floor)

Cheers
    Gary

3. leon

leon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    not sure if its any use but i made on up for my sony vpl . i made it out of mdf 18mm thick which is covered with speaker cloth and the corners all come from maplin electronics ,just make sure cold air can get in and hot out ,, mine takes cold air in from the cavity in the outer wall and pushes hot air to the room above where it come out of a vent in the floor take a look at my site an you can see it ,,hope this helps.may take time to load on a modem :(
    http://www.ronin100.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ex.swf
    http://www.ronin100.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk///

[ 06-07-2001: Message edited by: leon ]

4. Gee

Gee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Leon,

Looks exactly what I'm after. What is the front window made from and what fans are you using?

Cheers,

Gee
    :cool:

5. Cliff

Cliff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855
    I also built a hushbox for my VLP400 - which is a noisy machine. I purchase a CD/record cabinet from Index which was about the right dimensions. I rebuilt the cabinet securing a middle shelf for the projector. This did not fully extent to the back of the cabinet so that the hot air could go down to the lower part under the shelf. I cut a hole in the bottom for hot air to exhaust and put a baffle at the front between the shelf and the bottom of the cabinet so all the hot air goes down out through the hole in the bottom. The bottom cavity was carpeted for sound deadening and I bought four legs about 8inches high to support the box. The projector just slides in from the front. Works well as there is little air resistance and cold air can be sucked in from the front- hot air goes down towards the floor. The top of the cabinet can be used to support beer glasses.

6. leon

leon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    hiya
    i used a 1 inch thick piece of foam cut through the middle so i can get to it incase of any problems..i used a fan "bit like the ones you get for taking hot air out of the bathrooms ,""wicks store i think""very small and had a flexy tube on it .(4" in size) . it takes the cold air from the cavity in the walls and pushes it into the box and the projector does the rest ,it come out of the back of the sony and into the floor upstairs ..
    ohh one more thing i sprayed the foam black :)could not find a black piece anywhere ,,i got it from a local market :0 hope this help http://www.ronin100.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk///