1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Huntley Scalded in Prison Attack" (BBC news) - Good Thing/Bad Thing?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by mh123, Sep 15, 2005.

?

Huntley scalding attack - Your Opinion?

Poll closed Sep 22, 2005.
  1. He Deserves It!!

35 vote(s)
    57.4%
  2. Nobody Deserves That...

9 vote(s)
    14.8%
  3. Indifferent

17 vote(s)
    27.9%
  1. mh123

mh123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
  2. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    While I believe that violence isn't the right way to do things I don't particularly have a reaction that says he didn't deserve it.

3. krish

krish
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,665
    Agree; can't stand the lynch mob mentality but indifferent to news like this
    - part and parcel of prison-life for a child killer/"nonce".

Don't really see the need for it to be reported
    - the tabloids will of course use it to increase circulation, reprinting the details of the evil Soham events in the usual sensationalist fashion, whilst coating it in some sort of child-protection editorial about the need for a public list of all registered sex-offenders living in our neigborhoods.

4. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,355
    As they say hanging is too good for them, but I do not agree with this sort of thing I always remember Stephen Cisco although in this case I think without doubt the got the right man.

5. krish

krish
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,665
    Yes, he was 100% responsible for their deaths - that was admitted in trial and he was prepared to accept a guilty of manslaughter verdict due to his ridiculous story that one of them hit her head in the bathroom, and the other suffocated when he put his hand over her mouth. Then after the jury saw through his lies and convicted him, his history of cautions etc regarding sex with minors and accusations of rape became public knowledge (he also changed his name when moving to a different area).

6. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +472
    i'd like to see this happening to him on a regular basis

7. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,404
    I'm just a bit disappointed it was only boiling water and not bitumen.
    Facial branding should be part of his sentence anyway..

8. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    As a matter of interest I wonder what the vigilante that scalded him was in prison for

9. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,404
    I think it might be a guy in there he's made friends with, a fairly nasty bloke himself.

From what I hear from a mate Huntley has watched too much Cell Block H and has the unfortunate habit of bragging about what he did.
    fancies himself as the new 'Charles Bronson' apparently...

10. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    EXcatly Ian. When one of these sickos gets attacked the press hold up his attacker up as some sort of 'hero'. Forgetting of course that an attacker in the same prison section with Huntley is hardly likely to be the sort of guy you'd want to be in a dark alley with either........... :rolleyes:

11. NWhiteley

NWhiteley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    its ok saying he deserves it, but he will now get a huge compensation pay out.... there really is no justice in this country any more

12. martwho

martwho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    there is something wrong with this country - since when is it justice to give someone who messes with kids a warm room , tv , three meals and a gym e.t.c .
    He deserves everything he gets - if i run the country he would be marched into a field and shot and not quickly i'd want him to suffer !

13. danny daniell

danny daniell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Unfortunately thats a large part of the essence of what this government stands for :mad: & Lib Dems are even worse!

14. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +472
    I don't see him being held up as a hero.....nobody is celebrating the guy who did it....just the fact that huntley got some pain of his own.

15. krish

krish
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,665
    really....?
    I thought New Labour were just New Tories, trying to beat them at their own game on law and order. Prison conditions would have been no different whatever the government
    - unless you're suggesting that pre-May'97 we had hard labour, cold damp rat-infested cells, 1 cold meal, or no TV for our prisoners?.

16. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,404
    whooaaa there...How on earth did party politics creep into an Ian Huntley thread? :confused:

17. krish

krish
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,665
    Agree its not a party political thread - I just had to (as neither a Tory or blairite) balance out that old Daily Mail chestnut of luxury prison conditions being what this govt stands for :D

18. smelly

smelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Agree with the majority on this one - don't condone the vigilante approach but expect this sort of thing to happen in the environment he's in. There is absolutely no way that he should get any form of compensation though!!!! But no doubt he will :rolleyes:

19. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,231
    i agree with smelly entirely, i couldnt say anything more

20. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,521
    I hope it boiled his eyeballs, peeled all of his skin off...oh and gave him the Pox! So there!

21. SamirP

SamirP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I hope that the other inmate put loads of sugar in the boiling water so it stuck to Huntleys face.

What goes around comes around. :devil:

22. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    Here, dude old son:-
    :rolleyes:

Exactly. I'd love to send the Mails staff to prison (period!) for a week to see how they 'enjoy it'. Somehow I think the myths they peddle will soon come crashing after a week in the scrubs..........

If I didn't believe in complete freedom of the press, that papers lies would be banned forthwith. I was reading (over somesones shoulder :D ) A load of absolute, agenda driven, lies it was spouting about oil reserves today. No wonder our press is derided worldwide............... :rolleyes:

And back on the papers,
    no, the papers are only too willing to hold up those who attack 'famous' killers as 'heros'. I notice the attacks carried out everyday on other foul members of our society enjoying 'her Majesties pleasure' aren't deemed covered. Not sensational enough to be newsworthy.

I have zero sympathy for Huntley, but equally I have zero sympathy for his inmates either. I remember only to well the guy who attacked Sutcliffe being held up by the Sun with headlines like "nice one mate".

23. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +472
    well clearly if the papers / comics do this it's wrong but hardly surprising of the moronic tabloids we have here I suppose (I don't read them), but I didn't see anybody in this thread doing so.

24. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Deep in the bowels of sussex where the angloargies
    Ratings:
    +1,766
    For me punishment comes in ther form of deprivation of liberty ; in Hutnleys case for the remainder of his life.Having said that the condition within our prisons should be humane as found in scandinavian countries.Prisoners of his ilk should be housed together to prevent physical abuse.The state must always be above the common criminal ie it must never stoop to exact the kind of vicious retribution advocated by some. Punishemnt should be measured and reasonable. Huntley and his kind , in fact all prisoners, should be encouraged to reflect on their crimes and, during their incarceratioin, should be involved in positive activities like work. They should also be granted leisure pursuits if they behave themselves. On no,account should they be dehumanised as, for eg, Sheriff Arpaio would do.

25. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,766
    Life in the Nordic nick
    Finnish prisons most lenient in Europe

If you have to be a prisoner, better to be one in Finland. The Nordic country began a prison reform 20 years ago and now jails fewer of its citizens than any other country in the European Union. Fifty-two per 100,000 inhabitants. And the prison system is remarkably lenient. Finns have instituted a system referred to as open prisons, thanks to academic studies that provoked a thorough-going rethink of penal policy with the argument that it ought to reflect the region's liberal theories of social organization (Finland is well-known for its liberal welfare state).

According to this system, hard time, because of its restrictions on freedom, is punishment enough so prisons are made as comfortable as possible. More importantly the emphasis of punishment is to shape values and reinsert inmates back into society rather than vindicate the crime committed.Prisons in Finland do not have walls or fences but camera surveillance and electronic alert networks. No iron gates, metal passageways or grim cells; living spaces for inmates resemble dormitory rooms more than lockups in a slammer. Guards are unarmed and wear either civilian clothes or uniforms free of emblems like chevrons and epaulettes. Guns are only used to transfer prisoners. Inmates and guards address each other by first name. Prison superintendents go by non-military titles like manager or governor, and prisoners are sometimes referred to as "clients" or, if they are youths, "pupils."

Generous home leaves are available, particularly as the end of a sentence nears, and for midterm inmates, there are houses on the grounds, with privacy assured, where they can spend up to four days at a time with visiting spouses and children.Since the time of instituting this unique system, Finnish crime rates have gone down to average Scandinavian levels, the lowest in Europe, and the state has saved almost ¬ 20 million worth of expense keeping up prisons.Portugal, with 131 prisoners per 100,000 people, has the highest percentage of prisoners per capita in the EU.

The small country on the Atlantic is followed by Britain with 126, Spain with 116, Germany with 97, Italy with 93, Luxembourg with 90, the Netherlands with 87, Austria and Belgium with 85, Ireland with 78, Greece with 76, France with 75, Sweden with 64, and Denmark with 62. Even so, the EU, seen globally, is relatively lenient compared to the United States with 702 prisoners per 100,000 inhabitants, and Russia with 664.Considering statistics that imply that harsh punishment does nothing to reduce the crime rate (indeed it seems that it tends to lead to increased crime), and considering the Finnish example of low crime and low national expenditure on penal services, it is a small wonder that other countries have not adopted something similar.

Link

International centre for prison studies;

26. martwho

martwho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Oh my God do you not have children ! I do and i cannot imagine the feelings i would have if anyone like that monster Huntley did anything to them!
    It may sound morronic or barbarric but who cares about the treatment of prisoners in any other country - fair enough if someone commits a crime like burglary , arson , car jacking etc then maybe there is a chance with fair treatment , re-education and counselling they could be reintegrated into society and go on to live a crime free life - But in my opinion and i'm sure im not the only person who thinks this anyone who murders someone cold bloodedly , or rapes someone or messes withe children in any way shape or form deserves to BURN IN HELL!

27. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +472
    quite agree with you martwho...must be a real pain to have to hold opinions that you feel you should.....surely most people if they are truly honest with themselves will not be saddened by this???
    Incidentally, if I were a crim in Finland I wouldn't be too bothered about being caught!!

28. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,766
    any one who was a victim of crime would have that burining desire for retribution( I would most certainly) -, its natural . Question is it right to inflict gr8 suffering on others whatever their crimes?Does it do any good?The experiences in Finland in contrast to the USA show that extreme retribution simply dont work- ie more crime more severe punishment> wee need to loook at things differently IMO.I view Huntley much the sama as everyone else , ditto rapists, murderers anthoe who attack the elderly but I simply ask is it a sign of a civilised society to exact extreme revenge and does it do any good ?I think not!

29. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +472
    yes it's right, the softer you get the less these people fear the punishment and the more likely they are to commit the crime. Lets not get too hung up about how civilized it is to exact vengeance on scum.

30. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    Conviction and punishment do not deter criminals. Harsh prison regimes do not deter criminals. The death penalty does not deter murder. Why? Because as a Chief Constable famously said many years ago, criminals NEVER think (ever) they will get caught.

Being 'soft' on crime is not an option I agree, but since when has society ever really been 'soft' on crime? We hear all about the 'ones that get away' but the media (from whom the majority gain their info) seem disinterested in the fact that:-

A) Our prison population is enormous and getting bigger. A bit strange for a country where the impression is that criminals 'all' get let off due to their 'bad childhood'.

B) the most successful prison regimes were the rehab units the last govt shut down in the 80's.

C) the use of, one off, 'severe' prison regimes was tried, and failed (dismally) in the 80's.

We need to be working on long term solutions (in particular with parents of kids already on their way out of the system by 12-14) rather than comforting knee jerks.