1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hunting 4 new amp.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by iaria, Dec 13, 2003.

1. iaria

iaria
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there
    I am hunting for a new amp. I have come down to some choices which I find difficult
    Pioneer VSX D812, Marantz SR5400, Also Denon 1804 and yamaha 640

price wise are about the same, I was told yamaha is not as refined as say pioneer, and also Denon doesnt have DTS 96/24 processing
    so that leaves the Pioneer and the marantz, if anyone knows anything about this 4 amps it would be appreciated
    Thank you in advance
    Gerry

2. balders

balders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    The Denon has "96kHz/24 Bit DAC" - how's this related to DTS 96/24? (excuse my ignorance!)

Balders.

3. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    As far as I'm aware, using 96/24 DACs to decode all the digital information will result in a smother more detailed sound. This is not because the signals are being upsampled, but because the DACS are designed to deal with much higher bandwidth signals then those that will be presented to them in the Denon 1804. Because the DACS are working with a signal much less complex then they are designed to deal with they can perform the digital to analogue conversion with ease without ever nearing their processing limits, and as such this results in a smother and more deatiled sound.

An AV amp that is labeled as DTS 96/24 is physically capable of decoding the DTS 96/24 signal present on many DVD-Audio discs and all the other internal circuitry and audio processing chips are designed to deal with the much higher bandwidth signals on DVD-Audio discs.

I hope the explanation above is of some help to you, although it may not be entirely technically correct. I suspect some Uber-AV-Brain will pop up any minute now to correct everything I've said.

4. balders

balders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I just took a look in a Yamaha info booklet, and in the specs table at the back of it, it states that the AX/RX640 doesn't support DTS 96/24.

... so now I'm confused ... The 640 specs state that it uses a 96-kHz/24-bit DAC, as does the Denon 1804.

So I guess this is different to supporting DTS 96/24, and neither the Yam 640 or Denon 1804 support DTS 96/24.

Correct?

:confused:

Balders.

5. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DTS 96/24 is a Format of audio compression, in much the same way as Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1.

DTS 96/24 is relatively new, and is hardly ever used, so not a lot of receivers account for it. But note that doing so isn't down to the DACs used, it's whether or not the surround sound processor used supports it.

Iaria - I have the Denon 1803 (essentially the same receiver as the 1804) and am extremely happy with it and - in all my years in Home Cinema - I'm yet to own a DTS 96/24 disc, so wouldn't worry too much about supporting it.

Dimmy

6. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    When I went for a demo of the RXV1400, which supports the 96/24 format, the store had a DTS demo disc with an orchestral / new agey type song on it - to say I was underwhelmed would be an understatement. It's just another badge as far as I'm concerned - nice to have but certainly didn't influence my choice

7. iaria

iaria
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I want to thank you all for your answers, I am now clear about
    DTS 96/24 so now I know I don't have to worry about, but still that doesn't tell me wether the Pioneer is better than the Denon ect.ect

Gerry

8. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    Bear in mind that you have to have source material that is encoded in DTS 96/24 format, which are predominantly DVD-Audio discs, not just any DTS disc.