Hunter Killer 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Watched it myself over the weekend, like most who have commented it's mindless popcorn fun, like some the films that have been mentioned.
Audio wise it was excellent...even better with a BEQ file just took it to another level..!

Making Movies Sound Better With Bass EQ

Saw this at the cinema as a fan of submarine movies, got to be the worst I'd seen in a long time. A messy hodge-podge of Crimson Tide, Red October and Das Boot (the original) - except it was dull. Don't always agree with Dr (or is it Prof now?) Kermode but he was spot-on with this one.

Personally I thought it was enjoyable. I didn't see it at the cinema, so have only the UHD to comment on. Great picture and superb sound quality. Predictable? Yes, absolutely. But so is most of the output from recent years. A definite re-watch for me. :thumbsup:

enjoyed this,by the numbers but a easy watch and as cas says great picture and sound.

Watched this film this morning, all i can say is that i thoroughly enjoyed it. :smashin:

One question though, "Birmingham" was mentioned at the beginning of of the film and i couldn't work out whether it was Birmingham England or Birmingham USA ?

I still don't have a 4K TV, can anyone confirm the UK disc has Dolby Vision (the box does not mention it)?

You realise it’s in the review right?

I did read your review, but I couldn't be 100% sure Liongates hadn't given you the US disc as your review was 10 days before it was released on 4K in the UK.

No, PR companies get the discs early and, occasionally, even give them to us early.

I wouldn't worry about the differences either, I can't think of a single 4K disc which has been released by the same production studio on both sides of the pond, that turns out to be anything less than an exact port. It only gets tricky when they come from different Studios (i.e. Sony's vs. StudioCanal's Cliffhanger).

I can think of plenty that haven't had DV written on the back though and still include Dolby Vision. Sometimes I think they don't want to promote it, they want it to be a nice surprise, lol.

No, PR companies get the discs early and, occasionally, even give them to us early.

I wouldn't worry about the differences either, I can't think of a single 4K disc which has been released by the same production studio on both sides of the pond, that turns out to be anything less than an exact port. It only gets tricky when they come from different Studios (i.e. Sony's vs. StudioCanal's Cliffhanger).

I can think of plenty that haven't had DV written on the back though and still include Dolby Vision. Sometimes I think they don't want to promote it, they want it to be a nice surprise, lol.
Having the same disc both sides of the pond makes a lot of sense. It even means sometimes we get an uncut version like John Wick 2 where the standard bd is cut. But not always, Red Sparrow 4K is cut in the UK but not in the USA which is why I still feel the need to double check sometimes.

Having the same disc both sides of the pond makes a lot of sense. It even means sometimes we get an uncut version like John Wick 2 where the standard bd is cut. But not always, Red Sparrow 4K is cut in the UK but not in the USA which is why I still feel the need to double check sometimes.

You're right, Red Sparrow was a head-scratching exception to the rule. Lucky Wick (and Equalizer 1&2) didn't go the same way.

After growing up watching "Voyage to the bottom of the sea"and fed on a diet of Stallone,Willis and Segal,I tend to take these action type movies with a pinch of salt.From that point of view,I quite liked this one.Predictable?yes.A bit cheesy?yes.None the less,plenty of action, looks fantastic on an oled and atmos effects spot on.All helped to paper over any cracks!Thumbs up from me.

Last edited:
Tesco's are so annoying. This is part of their 2 for £30 offer, and yet they again I walk away empty handed because they can't remove the red security tag from the box!!

What with 3 of my local HMVs closing down in the last month and Tesco's incompetence, I'll have to go to Amazon Grrr...

I bought this last night and I was impressed by the atmos soundtrack.

It is by far the best atmos film I have experienced so far.
It puts other big titles to shame in the atmos department.
It makes thorough use of the atmos speakers throughout the whole film.

I’ve just watched this film and thought the The English Dolby Atmos sounds really compressed but when I change it to the Spanish Dolby Atmos it sounds excellent. This happens on both 4K and 1080p disc’s Has anyone got this problem with there disc?

Just got to see it as a 99c Movie of the Week on iTunes, so in Dolby Vision & Atmos (Yes, I know streamed is not as good as a Disk, but still helps a lot!)
Really enjoyed it, great to see Toby Stephens in a Blockbuster (Really liked him since "Black Sails")
Though some great gaffes in the Movie
-The Crawl up the Concrete Spillway (Also used at the end escape), to get to Sea Level
-Glass being greeted by his XO with 'how was your trip in from Portsmouth?' when he was picked up up by Helicopter IN Scotland already
-The Two fleets sailing in anything but Combat mode as they approach each other - submarines on the surface in Line Ahead, for instance, AND all the US Sailors in Dress Uniform paraded along the ship railings :)

Definitely NOT Hunt for Red October - and, boy, did they steal some "moves" from that Movie! - but I will be buying a 4K Copy! :thumbsup:

A bit of cheesy fun. Some plot holes big enough to pilot a nuclear sub through but a pleasant enough watch.

I’ve just watched this film and thought the The English Dolby Atmos sounds really compressed but when I change it to the Spanish Dolby Atmos it sounds excellent. This happens on both 4K and 1080p disc’s Has anyone got this problem with there disc?
I take it nobody has had this issue?

Watched this with the missus last night and although I had the subwoofer switched off (not allowed after 8pm), it's one of the best sounding soundtracks I've heard. Very impressive!

Really enjoyed the film too.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom