Hunt for the Wilderpeople (2016)

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by SteveAWOL, May 3, 2016.

1. SteveAWOL

SteveAWOL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,840
    I really enjoyed What We Do In The Shadows, so hopefully this is as funny :laugh:

HUNT FOR THE WILDERPEOPLE - Official Trailer

[​IMG]

2. E-com

E-com

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +537
    This made the list!

3. Garioch

Garioch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +864
    Heads up - this is screening at the EIFF in June. Just nabbed some tickets. Cannot wait for this!

4. Garioch

Garioch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +864
    Hunt for the Wilderpeople is a prime example of deadpan NZ humour. If you've seen any of writer-director Taika Waititi's previous works, you will know what to expect. Set in the backdrop of the NZ outback, Wilderpeople follows a troubled youth (Julian Dennison) and his nature-wise foster uncle (Sam Neill) on the run from the law under bewildering circumstances. The pair must set aside their differences and learn to work together in order to evade the police and survive the wilderness.

Waititi is a master in comedic timing and has brought out the best from the two leads; Sam Neill especially delivers his most full-on role since Jurassic Park in my opinion. There is a furious mix of comedic situations, adventure, drama and a wealth of homages to similar movies but the soul of the film lies a charming relationship between a boy rejected by society and his foster uncle, who has rejected society.

Visually, Wilderpeople is a beautiful film to watch, utilising wide aerial photography of the lush NZ landscapes. The technical merits equally extend to the sound mix, where the surround effects were emphasised even during scenes with little activity. The film crew really did their utmost to transport the audience to the heart of the NZ outback. This has the potential to be a cracking blu-ray / UHD release.

Hunt for the Wilderpeople is doing the rounds just now at various film festivals so I am unsure of a theatrical release date. Keep an eye out however, as this may well be 2016's greatest comedy.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Sam Crow

Sam Crow
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,516
    fantastic film saw it today at cinema
    go see it :)

6. Drax1

Drax1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,609
  7. Rambo John J

Rambo John J
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,008
    I enjoyed this one. It's hilarious at times, very entertaining. I found when I wasn't chuckling or having a proper guffaw I was admiring the beauty of the landscape shots. Sam Neill really is good in this. He makes a particularly convincing grumpy old man

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  8. TheyCallMeTJ

TheyCallMeTJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,934
    I sadly missed this in the cinema but despite only 4 months released in our cinemas, its now on Netflix already...and its wonderful. Heartwarming and so damn funny.

Its almost a live action version of Pixar's Up.

I laughed out loud a few times even though this isnt that sort of comedy. Just the humour spikes so sharply at times I spurt my coffee as I am watching.

The kid is hilarious as a gangster wannabe and Sam Neil is as ever, the reliable rock solid presence he has always been. Only two actors whose presence I tend to feel utterly safe with, Sam Neil and Tom Hanks.

It is a bit silly and ridiculous in parts with hilariously stereotypical "outback" style characters but its part of the charm of the movie.

Its a great adventure film to boot and I love it so much.

I see this becoming a repeat viewing comfort film for me in future. I really regret missing this in the cinema.

8.5/10 for its relentless charm, humour, and adventure.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  9. barnaby jones

barnaby jones
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,672
    I thought I posted about this one back in the Autumn when I saw it, obviously not.... it's a tremendous little film. Funny and poignant. Well worth seeing.9/10

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List