Hundreds of dead pixels on LG B8

geowars2

Hi.
My 65" LG B8 OLED has hundreds of dead (or stuck?) pixels around the top and corners.

I'm not overly worried as I sit far enough away for this not to be noticeable. It's noticeable on yellow, purple and blue colours. It actually runs the whole way along the top and bottom of the screen but there are no stuk pixels anywhere in the centre of the display.

But should I care? Or will this get worse?

There is one other oddity with this TV and it's that white doesn't look uniform on the left hand side of the TV - it looks like a different shade than the right ride. It's been like this as long as I remember though and it seemed like it would be a bit nit-picky to complain about it.

The TV is around 2-3 years old but it does have the 6 year Richersound warranty so if things did get worse with the stuck pixels it may be an option to utilise the warranty!
The picture is generally still fantastic.

Attachments

• 20211202_220449.jpg
    20211202_220449.jpg
    510.8 KB · Views: 442
  • 20211202_220459.jpg
    20211202_220459.jpg
    515.9 KB · Views: 435
Last edited:

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
That would drive me nuts. Get it looked at whilst it's under warranty, but I'd manage with it until the New Year, if you can, because everything will grind to a halt at the year end.

I reckon that it will get worse.

geowars2

That would drive me nuts. Get it looked at whilst it's under warranty, but I'd manage with it until the New Year, if you can, because everything will grind to a halt at the year end.

I reckon that it will get worse.
Thanks for your thoughts!

I think I agree that it makes sense to get it checked, in case it does get worse. It was a ~£1500 purchase after all.

I'll get on to them soon via their online repair form or will give them a ring.

Sidenote: I actually recently bought a 48" C1 to use as a monitor and it would drive me nut if my C1 was like this as I obviously sit much closer! Luckily it's not.

Update: customer service is closed so I sent an email. Will see how it goes now!

Last edited:

fluxedman

With that many dead pixels that has to be a panel swap out, takes the guys 30 minutes to do but don't know if RS send guys down or collect it. And yes it usually gets worse.

I actually think its better to just book it asap, there could be a waiting list running to jan/feb even, so if you wait it only gets longer.

geowars2

I got an email reply that the service department are going to contact me on Monday so I'll pursue getting the repair if I can.

Thanks for the advice!

NatTheGooner

Hi.
My 65" LG B8 OLED has hundreds of dead (or stuck?) pixels around the top and corners.

I'm not overly worried as I sit far enough away for this not to be noticeable. It's noticeable on yellow, purple and blue colours. It actually runs the whole way along the top and bottom of the screen but there are no stuk pixels anywhere in the centre of the display.

There is one other oddity with this TV and it's that white doesn't look uniform on the left hand side of the TV - it looks like a different shade than the right ride. It's been like this as long as I remember though and it seemed like it would be a bit nit-picky to complain about it.

The TV is around 2-3 years old but it does have the 6 year Richersound warranty so if things did get worse with the stuck pixels it may be an option to utilise the warranty!
I had this earlier this year on my B8, not quite as bad as yours. Richer Sounds got the screen replaced for me and it’s perfect again. I sent photos to the repair company in Bristol and they approved it for replacement, so I took the TV into them and waited a couple of hours and took it home again as good as new.
If you say you can bring it to them they will be delighted and you’ll get it done sooner.

geowars2

I had this earlier this year on my B8, not quite as bad as yours. Richer Sounds got the screen replaced for me and it’s perfect again. I sent photos to the repair company in Bristol and they approved it for replacement, so I took the TV into them and waited a couple of hours and took it home again as good as new.
If you say you can bring it to them they will be delighted and you’ll get it done sooner.
Interesting, thanks!

Not sure how I feel about trying to load the TV into my Ford Fiesta though lol. Also no idea if there's a repair company located near me. So will see what they say when they reach out to me!

NatTheGooner

Interesting, thanks!

Not sure how I feel about trying to load the TV into my Ford Fiesta though lol. Also no idea if there's a repair company located near me. So will see what they say when they reach out to me!
I got mine in a 207 with some blankets (55”)

Exx on

Novice Member
Hi.

I literally have the EXACT same issue on my LG B8 65’ purchased in Jan 2019.

Again from Richer Sounds so covered by their 6 year warranty (thankfully!).

I have 100’s of dead pixels along the left hand side of the screen as well as the top and bottom corners. I’m pretty sure the entire bottom row of pixels on the panel is also fully dead apart from a few.

I also have an orange tinge across the entire left quarter/third of of the screen which is very noticeable when watching green/yellow/orange content.

As you say, the dead pixels aren’t noticeable when viewing from a normal distance away however the colour shift on the panel definitely is.

I’m currently in the process of returning the TV for repair/replacement. However was thinking surely it can’t be cost effective to source and replace the entire OLED panel from 2019 vs replacing the TV with a current day equivalent?

If I were you I’d send it in for repair under warranty as it will most likely get worse over time. I can’t really say how long I’ve have the dead pixels however the colour issues have been there for at least 12months so I assume the pixels must have started at around the same time.

Images attached for reference.

I’ll keep you posted on how ny repair/replacement goes!

Attachments

• 3531D679-F248-469C-971D-3105D2045808.jpeg
    3531D679-F248-469C-971D-3105D2045808.jpeg
    556.7 KB · Views: 345
  • 2E89B851-5D6E-4B33-94F0-F7070CB61B9D.jpeg
    2E89B851-5D6E-4B33-94F0-F7070CB61B9D.jpeg
    505.4 KB · Views: 290
  • E89068D8-CB4D-46D7-AB81-EC500FDA76F4.jpeg
    E89068D8-CB4D-46D7-AB81-EC500FDA76F4.jpeg
    575.1 KB · Views: 280

geowars2

I literally have the EXACT same issue on my LG B8 65’ purchased in Jan 2019.

Again from Richer Sounds so covered by their 6 year warranty (thankfully!).

I have 100’s of dead pixels along the left hand side of the screen as well as the top and bottom corners. I’m pretty sure the entire bottom row of pixels on the panel is also fully dead apart from a few.

I also have an orange tinge across the entire left quarter/third of of the screen which is very noticeable when watching green/yellow/orange content.

As you say, the dead pixels aren’t noticeable when viewing from a normal distance away however the colour shift on the panel definitely is.

I’m currently in the process of returning the TV for repair/replacement. However was thinking surely it can’t be cost effective to source and replace the entire OLED panel from 2019 vs replacing the TV with a current day equivalent?

If I were you I’d send it in for repair under warranty as it will most likely get worse over time. I can’t really say how long I’ve have the dead pixels however the colour issues have been there for at least 12months so I assume the pixels must have started at around the same time.

Images attached for reference.

I’ll keep you posted on how ny repair/replacement goes!
Thanks for posting, that indeed looks identical.

I'm also getting a tinge or different shades on the left side of mine.

The latest on my repair is that Richersounds reached out via email to let me know that the replacement part has been ordered and that the repair company will be in touch shortly

I'm guessing the replacement part is a panel as it didn't mention what the part was.

One thing I'll be a little anxious of is some posts I've seen recently of replacement panels being dimmer or worse looking.
And I do wonder if they do any form of calibration with the replacement panels?

Either way, I'll see how it goes and keep you updated. I have to say I'm impressed with Richersounds so far. All of this has been sorted over email and I haven't even had to speak to a real human yet which suits me well 😃

I'll try and post a picture soon of the colour shifts I have too.

Exx on

Novice Member
Currently in the same position as yourself.

Waiting for spares (also assume OLED panel) to arrive with repair company. All been organised via Richer Sounds website which is great.

I’m happy with it having the panel replaced, as you say it’s a great TV so hoping it fixes the issue. The nice thing about the 6yr warranty is that if it happens again in a year or two we’ll still be covered - at which point I would probably push for a model replacement!

The colour tinge is an odd one to me, because the pixels are all individually lit, I don’t see why/how the left quarter of my panel can be discoloured across only that side of the panels individual pixels - I’d have thought that would be down to the glass/front/adhesive of the screen rather than the individual pixels themselves.

Either way once the panel is replaced I’ll be doing some colour bar checks across the spectrum whilst the repair person is here just to make sure it’s not still there.

I’ll also try grab a few images of the discolouration I’m talking of.

Glad we’re both getting somewhere though and props to RS for sorting!

geowars2

This is a shot which tries to show the colour shift on the left hand side. I notice it a lot on white but it didn't photograph clearly.
It's the dying pixels I'm worried about but posting this anyway
20211213_091305~2.jpg

geowars2

Just updating. I had the repair company call around today and the repair person replaced the panel. It was an impressively quick process - Basically he removes the back, disconnects cables and removes boards, unwraps new panel, connect up the boards and cables, and turns the TV back on. It takes two to move the panels, and there's only one repair person, so I helped him to bring the panel in and lift the old one etc.

One minor difference is that the back of the TV is now a silver/grey colour instead of black. That's ok with me.

I haven't had any close inspection yet, except in noticing that the dead pixels are all gone.

I'm very impressed with Richersounds here. Customer service is excellent, and the turnaround time here was pretty quick. Assuming all is well with the panel, I'll definitely be popping a positive review for Richersounds on Trustpilot, it's rare to have good customer service these days.

Last edited:

marcorv99

Novice Member
Same EXACT issue here. On my screen, 55B8, only on the bottom-left corner, mostly on the bottom than the left side. So strange, same corner in all cases.
Sadly I have no warranty :~(

Exx on

Novice Member
That’s great news!

The back of my B8 is actually already silver/grey aluminium which I think is normal.

Good to hear it’s a reasonably easy process.

I’ve tried to grab an image of my panels orange tinge which is easier said then done as you say!

Attachments

• F4042D56-4E8B-4E5E-933B-F3E770A5155A.jpeg
    F4042D56-4E8B-4E5E-933B-F3E770A5155A.jpeg
    69.9 KB · Views: 237
  • D6986C55-0BE5-4DCB-8070-ACFE332852AC.jpeg
    D6986C55-0BE5-4DCB-8070-ACFE332852AC.jpeg
    57.1 KB · Views: 326
Last edited:

marcorv99

Novice Member
Hi.

did you update before this issue?

snadge

ive just noticed on my LG B8 55" dead pixels in both the top left and bottom left -these appeared after I ran the pixel refresher for the first time manually. luckily for me its not many and cant be noticed unless you right up the screen or looking for them,

unlucky for me its not insured so could well be on its way out as its had heavy movie usage and is 3 years old. don't last very long OLEDs so it appears as LG have invented a new tech for new OLEDs to make them last longer as well as brighter

fluxedman

ive just noticed on my LG B8 55" dead pixels in both the top left and bottom left -these appeared after I ran the pixel refresher for the first time manually. luckily for me its not many and cant be noticed unless you right up the screen or looking for them,

unlucky for me its not insured so could well be on its way out as its had heavy movie usage and is 3 years old. don't last very long OLEDs so it appears as LG have invented a new tech for new OLEDs to make them last longer as well as brighter

You don't have 5 year warranty on the TV? Always still worth contacting the retailer or LG to see if they can assist with the repair, multiple dead pixels and warranty usually gets a new panel .

You also have LGs OLED panel swap service usually £200, LG maybe able to offer it as long as its not a curved tv and they still stock it so its always worth a shot.

snadge

no I got on sale with 2 yr warranty with argos (expired) but £200 isnt bad if it gets all over, thanks for the advice, I'm just very lucky they are where they are and willing to pay £200 for it to be put right if it gets everywhere

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom