1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hummmming AVR........?

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by deaf cat, Sep 2, 2005.

1. deaf cat

deaf cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Hi

I have had a AVR200 now for about 18 months or so and it has always given out a very slight hiss/hum when nothing is playing and is only audible when ear next to speaker, which I guessed is normal from reading various posts.

I always leave it on and turned down to below 10 when not in use. A couple of nights ago I turned it down to zero and left it all night, boy! the hum in the morning was quight worrying to say the least :eek: Switched it all off, and...... on again, still hum hum hum, untill music played and the loud hum stopped, stop the music and the hum has gone, change to another input and the hum starts once again?

Any ideas ????
    Please

Oh! I had the switch to 'ground lift' to start with now it is on 'ground' and it does not seem to make a blind bit of difference.... :lease:

2. roffe

roffe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This seems strange to me. One of my main reasons for coosing Arcam is the low inherent noise level. I don't know about the AVR200, but my AVR300 have a switch on the back for separating signal ground and chassis (mains) ground. If the AVR200 have such a switch, trying it may be a good idea.

This is what the manual says:
    GROUND LIFT switch. In complex set-ups that include satellite inputs or radio antennas, grounding the unit may increase the level of background hum or buzz in the loudspeakers. If this occurs, set the GROUND LIFT switch to lift the signal ground from the chassis ground.

Edit: OK, just saw that you already tried this. Must be something else, then. :oops:

It may be a problem with non-terminated inputs. An input receiving no signal may be disconnected by internal relays in the source, and the signal wire may then function as an antenna for electromagnetic noise.

3. tvh3ad

tvh3ad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    My AVR300 is quite sensitive to noise generated by source components.

To troubleshoot, disconnect EVERYTHING (including the subwoofer if you have one) except the speakers the Arcam is driving and switch the source to DVD-A (multichannel).

At this point, if you still have the hum then there's either a problem with your unit or a problem with your line power supply: take the unit to your dealer and hook it up there to see if the hum is still present.

If on the other hand the hum went away with everything disconnected, start connecting components one by one until the noise returns. (In my case, I was getting significant noise over a coax digital input from a Sony DVD recorder; switching to toslink completely eliminated the problem.)

Hope this helps.

4. deaf cat

deaf cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Cheers for the help, I will try the unpluging everything, and I guess the DVD-A is the same as the 5.1 input.

5. deaf cat

deaf cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Testing now done:

OK Everything unpluged, everso such a slight hum on all input selectors, except 5.1 input. Each component pluged in adds to the volume of the hum, no matter what order, dvd seems to add the most. If volume is set to zero the hum is very loud. Tried with Ground and Lift Ground - switching does not seem to make any difference at all. However after the music has been playing for a number of seconds (all channels except radio) the hum dissapears......?

I guess the thing needs a tinker inside by the Arcam guys..?