Hummm I've got a problem

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Oblomov, May 3, 2005.

1. Oblomov

Oblomov

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I've just moved into a Barratt built flat (no commiserations please, it's only temporary) with a single Sky connection. There are two socket blocks on the wall, one is a single RF terrestrial connection, the other has sockets marked TV, SAT, and FM.

I am not a Sky subscribers and am only interested in the terrestrial TV connection. If I connect the TV to the single RF socket there is little or no signal at all. If I connect to the TV socket on the three socket block there is a reasonable signal (some ghosting on the picture but otherwise okay.)

The problem comes when I switch on my Audiolab amplifier which has inputs from both the TV has and the Panasonic digibox. There is a loud hum from the speakers. I had exactly the same set-up in my previous home with no problem. After much investigation I have discovered that the hum disappears once the aerial lead is disconnected from the socket.

Paperwork in the flat recommended connecting the RF lead to the TV socket via a y-splitter, with a fly-lead from the socket on the single block to the other side of the splitter. This made no difference to either the hum or the picture.

The TV alone does not have a hum at all. It is the higher sensitivity of the Audiolab that picks it up.

My assumption is that the problem is caused by an aerial signal amplifier of some sort which must surely be necessary in a sizeable block of flats. Even if I am correct, however, I have no idea how to overcome the problem and eliminate the hum.

Please can someone help an ignoramus.

2. sy278

sy278

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    An inline signal attenuator from maplins may help.

3. Oblomov

Oblomov

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    sy278

Thanks for that, I will get one and give it a try.