Humming Sub

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by [email protected], Dec 20, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bossc@

[email protected]

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +273
    Hi All

I have a problem with my subwoofer that is humming. I have a Pioneer S-W80 sub that always emits a very noticeable hum when its powered on. Its new and I only set it up over the weekend. I have searched your forum over the last couple of days and have read up on earth loops and the correct connections and amp set up but the question I have is quite simple.

I have connected the sub via line input to a Marantz SR5200 receiver.

As soon as the sub is powered on it starts humming, its quite loud and is still noticeable over dialogue and music etc. I have checked the earths (sub earth connection on the plug is not connected) and the connection to the amp. After reading previous posts on this I have also ensured that the cabling for the input is not near the power lead for the sub. I have also repositioned the sub and used different cables.

I isolated the sub in a different room, not connected to anything but as soon as its powered it starts the hum. the level and volume controls on the sub do not make any difference to the volume or pitch of the hum itself. I'm starting to think that this is faulty as i do not have any other point of reference.

Is it normal for a powered sub to hum in this way. I suppose I expected some very low level noise but not something that is so distracting.

2. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The threads you read were in reference to REL subs, i think it is a faulty batch and down to REL to sort out, i have a REL and it don't hum.

Subs should not hum, well not enough to distract your viewing.
    I think you have covered everything in your checks and it is pointing to a faulty sub, take it back and while you are there have a listen to the one in the showroom and see if that one hums, if it doesn't try the replacement, if it does i would try a different make. Hope this helps.

3. bossc@

[email protected]

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +273
    Thanks very much bob - I think you've just confirmed what I really thought, its been a hair tearing couple of days trying to track down info and possible causes. :(

4. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine hummed when i first got it.

Some suggested it was an earthing problem. However, i realised that the humming changed when i moved the cable around. I bought a shielded cable and the humming stopped.

Check to see if interference is causing yours to hum.

5. bossc@

[email protected]

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +273
    Thanks all for the replies. I have so far tried moving the sub, exchanging the cables etc. But last night I also checked out all the other appliances conncted in the system and found:

TV - no earth connected (also not connected to aerial)
    NTL cable (has metal earth pin but still not convinced its actually connected)
    Amp - no earth connected
    DVD - no earth connected
    Subwoofer - no earth connected.

So my next question (probably a bit stupid) but does this mean that the earth connection will purely be via the co-ax input from the ntl box. If so is this sufficient? If not what would be the best way to ground this equipment.

Still convinced that the PSU in the sub is whats actually humming though - as I said before the intensity or volume of the hum does not alter when adjusting the level or volume of the sub or moving cables.

6. 209AZ

209AZ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Just come across your thread.

I too have just bought a Pioneer system with the S-W80S sub and suffer from the same problem.

Have you made any progress with sorting yours out ?

Thanks in advance.

BTW where did you buy it from ?

7. bossc@

[email protected]

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +273
    Hi 209

Looks like we're crossing threads here - I spotted yours on the DVDForums.

My sub was bought from HomeCinemaHeaven along with the S-V50 speaker pack (made a mistake there as I find them a bit tinny) Did you follow up the reply to your thread on DVDforums and post the query to Justin??:confused:

8. 209AZ

209AZ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi bossc,

Would you beleive it ,I bought mine from the same place.I have just looked at the thread and it seems that some makes of subs hum,others dont.There is a lot of talk about earths and cables but this sub hums even when it isn't connected to the amp.

To my mind,things that hum belong back in the valve era of radios and amps.

Did you get in touch with HomeCinema Heaven yet ?

I am going to ring them tommorow(Saturday).I still can't beleive that this is normal.

I have searched for similar comments about this sub and there does seem to be others with the same problem.

Bottom line is:-

I don't want a humming sub !

I'll keep you posted.

9. bossc@

[email protected]

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +273
    Alright 209

I too have had several goes at trying to sort this. I have mailed the sales guys at the site and they ahve said that they will uplift the sub when they reopen in January. If its a case of the sub is like that anyway then I think I'll be looking for a replacement - probably along with the other speakers. If its faulty then they will replace for me.

I have asked them to try another of the same in the shop several times to see what they say but have not had a response at all on that. Also they have informed me that it is normal for a sub to hum. Problem that we both have is that its a humming that is loud enough to detract from viewing. Again I'll see what happens.

Give us a reply to this after you've rung the shop and let me know what they said.

Cheers
    :)

10. 209AZ

209AZ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Rang today (Sat) and told them of my problem.I am going to take it back on Thursday next and try it in the shop and hopefully find one that dosn,t hum.

The guy in the shop said they had had a couple of faulty ones back,so heres hoping !

I will keep you informed of developments.

BTW,I sent an email to Pioneer UK to query this problem.

11. bossc@

[email protected]

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +273
    Cheers 209 for letting me know

I know a few people with pioneer all in one systems - all with powered subs that do not hum at all.

If its faulty then fair enough if not I think I'll ask about a replacement also.

Cheers for letting me know that outcome - if you get a mail back from Pioneer then I'll be interested in the outcome.
    :)

12. Monkfish

Monkfish
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I don’t know if this is related, but I've just discovered a buzzing noise on some powered rear speakers attached to my PC sound card (but not on my different set of front speakers). I have just traced this to my NTL cable screen (ground), which connects directly through the cable modem to the ground on the USB output to my PC. This seems to pull the ground (metal case) of my entire PC system up and down with it. However, most attached equipment shares this ground, and therefore most signals fail to ‘see’ this fluctuation. However, equipment that does not share a common ground does experience this fluctuation (like my rear amp which therefore produces a buzzing noise). Remove my NTL cable and the buzzing stops. I think it’s pretty poor of the NTL modem to not totally opto-isolate the incoming cable from the attached PC system.

13. bossc@

[email protected]

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +273
    Bloody hell...blast from the past. How long you been trawling through old threads to dig this one out?

14. KrazyKev

KrazyKev

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too have a problem with a humming sub, mine only started when I changed from sky to NTL, I traced the problem to the coax for my set top box, If I unplug the coax from the set top box then everything is perfect.
    If I earth the sub throught it's mains pin the problem is 10 times worse ! by removing the mains earth at the plug it is reduced.
    In my opion the problem is with NTL's cabling.
    I had an engineer out to look at the problem and just kinda shook his head and didn't know.
    Can anyone else verify this problem or resolve it ?
    :lease:

15. JBL 4645

JBL 4645
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a humming sound on my Eltax a 12-R which for a while didn’t bother me unless; when the sound level drops? By that I mean the outside noise level and the room becomes quite, the low level 50Hz humming, :confused: so I opened up the sub looked around and noticed :eek: the wiring going from the amplifier to the crossover control circuitry was hanging down too near to the mains transformer; so I placed it higher up away from the mains transformer.

Bingo no more loud humming sound. :thumbsup:

I am a former cinema projectionist :thumbsup:

Ashley…

16. KrazyKev

KrazyKev

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    WOW ! mine is an eltax to ! had to take the sub apart a while ago, because one of the kids put my car keys inside ! :mad: will open it up and have a look ! will let you know how i get on :clap:

17. JBL 4645

JBL 4645
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bugger me put the keys inside the sub? :oops:

That’s if the keys haven’t stuck to the magnet…

Hope there’s no damage to the Eltax, my other sub bass is the JBL 4645 professional cinema 18in 600 nuclear watts? :thumbsup:

Just rented Starkey & Hutch the movie on DVD and the ford Torino taking the high jump and the dynamics building up to 112dbc with rumble and pressure pressing on me showed the that two subs are better than one, the JBL 4645 is placed on it’s side due the size standing at 3ft 6in height 2ft 2in width 1ft 6in depth, and with the small Eltax A 12-R 1ft 3in height 1ft 3in width 1ft 3in depth this placed on top of the JBL and both sub are EQ ed and with pre-outputs from the Kenwood KRF-X9050D THX select going though to other Dolby processors and with low pass outputs five in all going to a 6channel audio mixer where I have total control over the sub bass from the main sub bass from the centre sub bass from the split-surrounds and the LFE.

All channels are mixed or balanced and with one master fader to cut the level or boost it, if I’m so inclined to do so. :thumbsup:

You’re probably saying to your self what did I just say? :lease:

Any way gets those keys out… :clap:

I am a former cinema projectionist. :)

Cheers. [​IMG]

Ashley… :)

18. glennie77

glennie77
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI there ive got a LG surround sound receiver and a virgin box ,ive set it up so i get surround sound by pressing the tv ,video button ,I also have a xbox with hd cable ,to hear the xbox in surround sound i have to have the surround sound set to AV, when i do this i get a humming from the sub. Also i get a constant kind of interference, like waves on the screen. Please HELP

19. NicceAV

NicceAV
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SOLUTION:
    I have a Pioneer S-W80S with a humming noize. What I did to resolve this humming is that I removed the transformer from the inside and put it on the outside. This got rid of the humming noise and now it's completely silent. The humming noise come from the closeness of the speaker and the transformer.
    Only do this if your familiar with connecting high voltage, and don't forget to seal up all the holes that will be from the screws, else it will sound very funny.

20. KUBBY

KUBBY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +664
    Please use the current Sub Hum thread HERE

K.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.