Humming sound with white bars

M

mallu2478

I have a DigiFusion FRT100 Freeview box. I use the normal ariel and the reception in my area is, I should say, not strong. I am able to get most of the channels at least some of the time, but there seems to be a problem that has developed sometime ago.

Whichever channel I select there is a loud humming noise produced by the TV (not the Freeview box itself). I can see a grainy bar solowly moving up on screen. It looks like an electrical interference, but there are no electrical devices in the vicinity.

The bars are not very noticeable, but the sound is very annoying that we have stopped viewing the Freeview channels?

The normal 5 channels (BBC 1, BBC 2, ITV, Channel 4 & Five) come up in very good quality with absolutely no hum, when the cable is connected directly as well as when I connect it via the Freeview box (i.e. when I am not trying to watch the AV channel on TV corresponding to the Freeview).

Has anyone faced a similar problem or have a solution?

Any help is appreciated.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
It sounds like a power supply problem to me...the one supplied with your Digifusion...those are typical symptoms of poor smoothing...usually faulty electrolytic capacitors.

SamRadford

Novice Member
I agree with JayCee. An electrolytic capacitor is about to go fizz pop. If you take a look inside you might see one bulging. Here's a link to a photo: http://www.satcure.co.uk/images/electro3.jpg
Sometimes they bulge on top and sometimes they expand and force the rubber bung out underneath.

M

mallu2478

Thanks for the pointers Sam and JayCee. I have not opened the box before. Is it something I can rectify myself? The box is still under warranty so I might try to get it rectified by the manufacturer. Wondering if opening the equipment to confirm would void the warranty.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
mallu2478 said:
Thanks for the pointers Sam and JayCee. I have not opened the box before. Is it something I can rectify myself? The box is still under warranty so I might try to get it rectified by the manufacturer. Wondering if opening the equipment to confirm would void the warranty.
No, do not have a go yourself especially if it is still under warranty...the manufacturers service dept can probably tell if a box has been opened and it would void your warranty so don't take the chance.

SamRadford

Novice Member
Ah, you didn't say it was in warranty. I could have saved my time. Take it back with your invoice.