1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

humming noise from one channel

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by la gran siete, Jun 28, 2005.

1. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Deep in the bowels of sussex where the angloargies
    Ratings:
    +1,766
    It would appear to be the reciever(HK 5500) . Cd replay is fine, dvd replay is also fine but sky+box hums but not on all sound formats ie it hums when in stereo ,Dolby prologic , logic7 but not on the Neodts( analogue) or dsp ie Theater and Hall . Anyone any ideas?dvd is a panny recorder.

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Hi...may not be the receiver,if it's fine on all other inputs,and only giving problems with the Sky+ box when in certain modes.

Firstly....how is the Sky+ box connected(if you're using the optical connection then it does bring the receiver back in as the culprit of course).
    If you're using analogue interconnects,and using the receiver to produce DPL/Logic7 etc,then it may be a problem with the Sky+.

Again,if using analogue interconnects,have you tried using a different input,i.e.one that you know works with other sources(and that may also be worth trying in the case of an optical input,to try and reduce the number of possible candidates).

Tying down the source of a hum related problem is one of the most difficult things to do,especially when there are multiple inputs to a system.
    One method to try is to disconnect all of the other sources,to eliminate a hum loop originating there,before moving on to other areas.
    Ensure the receiver's mains earth is intact(if fitted),and it may also be worth earthing the Sky+ box via the receiver(although this should be earthed via the ground side of an analogue connection if you're using one there).

Good luck!

3. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,766
    Thanks for the reply Alexs. Both my DVD and sky box are connected with optical leads so I checked that hteyn were well connected and hten noticed that I had left an analogue lead connected at the amp end which I use to use for the Sky box. I have removed these and the humming seems to have stopped( at the moment anyway) Odd cause it was never there before? Cheers anyway! :thumbsup:

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Hi....glad it's gone....obviously a bit of hum being picked up via the stray lead,which if unconnected,can quite often act as an aerial,and would seem to be the case here.

5. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,766
    many thanks Alkexs, appreciate your advice :thumbsup: