1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Humming noise" from KD32DX200

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Judderman, Sep 27, 2004.

1. Judderman

Judderman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Upgraded from KV32FQ86 to DX200 after insurance claim.
    After the set has been on for an hour or two I have noticed that there is a "humming noise" coming from the back of the set which gets louder the longer it has been on.

Been informed by the website repairer (Sony authorised!!!!!!!!!!!!) from where I purchased it, that this happens on all widescreen tv's. Funny that it did not happen to my last Sony TV, my mates Sony TV, all Comets widescreen TV's (went round listening to all the TV's in the shop).

Currently in discussion!!!!!!!!!! with the repairer about what noise level is acceptable from a £1000 TV.

Anybody have any comments, as I would be interested to hear other peoples experiences.

2. Grif

Grif

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Judderman

I can hear it now ".....yeah they all do that sir, nothing to worry about!"
    What a load'a cobblers....mine does'nt do it. If I get my ear about a foot from the back of the TV I can hear a very light electrical buz....but I can sit in the room with the TV on but muted (as I am right now) and everything else quiet and not notice it....my fridge and this old Mac I'm using are noisier.

3. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with Grif - thats a load of arse. No widescreen I've ever owned has done that, and I've had about 5! The only noises I have heard are the faint, high pitched whistle of the switched mode power supply, which is very faint and you have to get your ear next to the tv to hear it, the CRT makes a bit of noise but again it's very faint and your ear has to be very near or next to the tv, and the degaussing coil firing at first switch on, which lasts about a second.

That sounds like a power supply problem and it will not get any better. They need to sort it. I wouldn't accept that from any TV, let alone a £1,000 one.

4. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Is the noise objectionable ? If it is and it is more or less brand new then ask for it to be changed. regards, yt.

5. Ozzy

Ozzy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The one I had also buzzed. On standby it was fine, and only appear when switched on. Was that loud on mine and you couldn't hear it with the sound turned up.

My folks 28" 100Hz Panny widescreen doesn't do it, so it's not an inherent problem with all widescreens or all 100Hz ones that Sony would claim.

Stefan

6. Zaichik

Zaichik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +278
    What should this actually sound like? I've had my Panny TV replaced twice for various faults, but the noise each of the 3 sets made when they were switched on varied:

The first was a loud high pitched buzz, the second had a much deeper buzz which vibrated through the case and stand, and the one I have now sounds like a giant rubber band being twanged next to a microphone on full volume. Again, it vibrates through the case of the TV. Is this normal?

7. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The degaussing pulse lasts for about 5 seconds. It is very strong at first and can rattle the set when it initially pulses, this is the sound you will hear and it lasts about a second or so. This is perfectly normal, expecially on large screen CRT's which require a pretty strong degaussing pulse. After that initial burst it then decays away until it is switched off. After 5 seconds you should hear nothing from this component, and even if it was running it can't be heard because the thermistor that controls it gets hot and stops the degaussing circuit from working. While the thermistor remains hot the degaussing coil is rendered inoperable. For example go and degauss your CRT monitor (if you have one). Most can be done from the monitor menu system. What it is doing is demagnetising the shadow mask or aperture grille, depending on CRT type. Once it has finished do it again - you will see it is much weaker. This would be the same as repeatedly turning on and off your TV set. Give it about 5 minutes and the degaussing pulse will be at maximum strength again.

Hope this is useful

8. Zaichik

Zaichik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +278
    Very helpful and reassuring - thanks.

I kinda wish I'd kept the first set now - at least it didn't sound like a big fart when it was switched on! :laugh:

9. Judderman

Judderman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for replying, I just wanted to hear from other people before I really get into a big argument with the company. They have taken the set away to soak test it (taken a load of pictures just incase it comes back scratched!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
    It sounds like an electrical/transformer hum to me.

10. matt512

matt512

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Sony KD32DX200 did this too! It was very noisey and you could change the pitch of the hum by switching from 50Hz to 100Hz mode!

It went to an authorised repair place who re-sealed the scan coils but that didnt change anything, if anything it made it more noisey!

So in the end the TV went back and I had a refund. Since then I've been using a 14" portable, it may not be brilliant but it doesnt hum:) Happens on a lot of TV's ive looked at but the volume of the hum changes!

Good luck hope u get it sorted...

m

11. Grif

Grif

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Lummy...hope mine does'nt start doing it :rolleyes: read about alot of people having power supply probs with the FQ80 & 86 but not this one.

So much for quality control :thumbsdow

Best of luck with it anyway.