1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Humming/Hissing from HCS-5300D

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Chris Weaver, Dec 12, 2003.

1. Chris Weaver

Chris Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I've just bought a Paramount Pictures HCS 5300D receiver/decoder package but there is an annoying hum and slight hiss comming from all speakers including the sub. It doesn't make any difference what input source or volume I use. If theres no signal from my DVD or the volume is at 0 then there is no noise at all. But if the volume is set to 1 or more then the hum and hiss kicks in. It doesn't change with volume and is always the same, annoying in quiet parts of films.

Its still there if I disconnect all inputs and just listening to the test signal. Its very noticable at night because I set the volume low and the hum competes and can mask quiet sounds.

I guess I want to find out if anyone with this decoder has noticed the same, or if this can be expected by design to some extent since it is an entry level system.

Thanks for you help,
    Chris.

2. chrisgeary

chrisgeary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    sounds like you have a ground loop problem. do you have separate power amps? i had the same problem when i added power amps to my Denon 3803. To solve it I had to wire up a 13A plus with just a connection to earth, and then connect that to the phono grounding point on the 3803. Completely eliminated the hum.

3. Chris Weaver

Chris Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't have any other equipment, the hum is there even if the only thing plugged in is the 5300 with nothing connected to it other than the speakers. If I start the test signal the hum starts as well when I set the volume above 0.

To me this doesn't sound like any ground loop problem and seems to be internal to the unit. Thats why I want to try and determine if its a fault or just by design or if I'm being too critical.

4. chrisgeary

chrisgeary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    sounds like a return to dealer issue to me. most any hifi system should be silent apart from a very small amount of hiss - and you will need your ears pressed up against the tweeter to hear it.