Humiliated or what?

la gran siete

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently join a gym nad though I'd make swimming part of my regular actvities so I jumped into the pool and started doing a bit of breastroke if only because I can at least keep a straight line.Now I knew the younger guys would streak past me which was fair enough then I saw few gals do the same which I readily accepted given their youth and obvious fitness.What I couldnt fathom , though, is why an old gal in her fifties who must have been all of 16 stones would do the same . She merrily swam past me and then waved on her return :confused: I frantically tried to increase my stroke rate but to no avail, she had the beating of me.
Me thinks I have some way to go :rolleyes:

Old people can swim forever!

shahedz said:
god that made me laugh out loud, well at least you have a target to beat! best of luck !

Yeah my mate thought if funny too :( He wont drop it :( In fact we are going to New York together on Friday and I can well see him blathering on about to all and sundry :(

Dont try and compete against women like this, many are nearly full time athletes. On a postive note your progress should be much higher than the others who have either youth or fitness on their side.

Londondecca said:
Dont try and compete against women like this, many are nearly full time athletes. On a postive note your progress should be much higher than the others who have either youth or fitness on their side.

its Ok I'm not really worried about it .I'l just carry on in my own sweet way. I just thought it amusing afterwards .Ones got to laugh at oneself/situations sometimes

If you see her on the cross-trainer..... go do something else :D

:D :rotfl: :) :thumbsup:

God if only I'll stay young forever

No worries mate, it's all scientific -

Women have a higher percentage of body fat so they float better then men. And (struggling to find some PC words, and giving up) fat women have an even higher percentage of body fat, so float even better.

So if you can float better you can swim faster ... QED :lesson:

happens to me all the time old people just swim like whales and dont stop I just do some bombs in the deep end :D

yep, me too, hey man, i used to swim with one of those tube type floats and im 21! bah, who cares what people think. this was about 3 weeks ago, now i can calmly swim without a float doing the breast stroke for about 50m, but not fast.

Peridot said:
So if you can float better you can swim faster ... QED :lesson:

Is that why all Olympic swimmers are 20 stoners ? :rotfl:

If you want to swim faster gran siete, swim in her wake behind her you'll keep up then. (you may not have a pleasant view though :eek: ).

Fat floats easier than muscle and fat is a great source of energy. Combine the two and you have a human power boat. :D

Keep up the fitness training mate you will get there in the end. :smashin:

If you want to swin faster ..... learn the technique ......
Take some lessons in developing the correct stroke - swimming fast is all about keeping as streamlined as possible whilst delivering the most power for least effort and drag.
( even a quick lesson so at least you will have an idea what you need to be doing ... so you can practice it on your own later )

Fat people have stronger legs!

Maybe there was a cream cake on the side of the swimmig pool. A bit like the 'carrot and donkey'.

:D

phillfyspoon said:
happens to me all the time old people just swim like whales and dont stop I just do some bombs in the deep end :D
That's why I hate public pools, people should get out and use the toilets instead of using the deep end. :rotfl:

la gran siete said:
Yeah my mate thought if funny too :( He wont drop it :( In fact we are going to New York together on Friday and I can well see him blathering on about to all and sundry :(

Have a nice time in New York with your 'mate' :)

Anyway, some people can just swim naturally. You can see them almost glide through the pool with minimal effort whilst the rest of us struggle to keep up.

I can't even swim, so don't worry about it...

Not worried really but I jusdyt thought to myself that whilst its ok for a yopung nubile lithe thing to glide past me the sight of a Mrs Blobby wih a grey wig on doing the same and then having the cheek to wave at me on her return leg and me flapping and floundering in desperation :confused: Oh well it can only get better. At least I can now do 25 lengths in half an hour.

Have a nice time in New York with your 'mate'

thanks for that, I'll do me best. Plan to visit a few Irish bars there :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom