Question Humidity sensor/hygrometer to insert in cavity wall?

airmark

We had a problem with a water leak inside a cavity wall that caused a lot of damage to the floors before we even detected it. We (think we) sorted it out, but in case it happens again I was thinking of having a humidity sensor inside the cavity (or more likely behind the plasterboard if it can still give good measures), so that I monitor the moisture levels and be alerted if they increase.
It would be nice to integrate with the Fibaro Home Center 2 that I already have. However this is not a requirement or priority, the important thing is to find something that works well.
Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated.

airmark

Even though I started looking at zwave sensors, I found more options of standalone products at much lower prices especially if I want more sensors (I would like 2 or 3 actually)
These stands out:
Anyone has any experience with humidity monitoring remotely?

Vusuki

I can't answer any of your questions but I'm hoping you might be able to provide an update on what you decided to do in the end. Thanks.

airmark

In the end I went for a low tech solution:
I chose those because the probe can stay hidden in the area to be monitored but screen including the battery that will need to be replaced at some point can be always accessible.

Vusuki

In the end I went for a low tech solution:
I chose those because the probe can stay hidden in the area to be monitored but screen including the battery that will need to be replaced at some point can be always accessible.
Thanks very much for your reply. Did you manage to insert the probe behind the plasterboard or just by the wall- and have you recorded any results/difference over the year? Is it particularly noticeable the difference of humidity levels between summer and winter? I'm assuming you're UK based like me but realise you might be elsewhere. If UK based- do you know what zone you're in for the wind driven rain?

Attachments

• rain map.gif
    rain map.gif
    41 KB · Views: 22

airmark

I'm in London, so looking at the map, it would be sheltered. The water leak wasn't direct result of rain hitting the wall from outside but rather rainwater entering from a gap at the edge of the roof next to an adjacent garage. I believe we fixed the leak cause and have been running a dehumidifier since to extract the excess water.
As the water was traveling down the wall cavity and was collecting under the floor, I put the probes under the floor close to the wall in question. I have been monitoring them almost every day and the humidity levels have a steady (albeit slow) downtrend, so I think we are in a good path. I will leave the probes in forever I think, as without them there's no way to have an early warning sign if another similar leak happens in the future (by the time damp starts showing on the walls, the floor is already saturated, and that's what I want to avoid).

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom