1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Humax vs Pace Twin - subjective opinions sought!

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by dt_matthews, May 26, 2004.

Tags:
  1. dt_matthews

dt_matthews
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok, sorry if this is a much discussed topic around various threads but i was hoping to crystallise thoughts on the topic in a single thread...

Basically, what would/did you buy from these two given the Humax is around 140 and the Pace 175 ??????

Points of specific importance/interest to me are:
    # ability to record to a Panasonic DMR-E55 from the PVR
    # record radio (have Humax enabled that yet via a patch)
    # which unit copes best in a poor reception scenario

:suicide:

2. kdp99

kdp99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I've got both boxes. I live in a good reception area, but here are my thoughts.

1) Picture quality, I watch both at S-VHS, nothing to chose

2) Disc space, Humax wins, 40 GB, not 20GB, Humax cheaper to upgrade as it has 3.5 drive.

3) Usability, I think the pace is nicer, but that may be beacuse I got it first !

4) Tuners pace has 2 which is a clear winner, watch I programe via TV scart while record another.

5) Connectivity, pace has a sperate SVHS output, but you cannot set the TV scart to SVHS, which you can on the Humax. Both have digital audio out.

6) Bugs, some people have had failed recordings on the Pace, but since the update last year I have not. Humax sometimes 'forgets' it has a hard drive, powering off at the mains fixes this but loses the recording reservations, but not exisitng recordings. Humax cannot record radio. When chasing play on the Humax when the recording part ends, it jumps out of the playback part, and you have to hunt for where you were.

Humax had a bug that triggered copy protection on DVD recorders, the patch fixes it but you will need to do a PC update, and a lead that Humax send out.

7) Updates, both calim to have a June Over the air update.

Keith

3. dt_matthews

dt_matthews
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Keith, very interesting

4. booth1976

booth1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I've got the Pace Twin, and slight niggles aside it's been good. There's been the odd occasion where I've recorded something and playback hasn't been smooth, especially before the update, but it's few and far between and still watchable.

Nice picture too! If there's a programme on at the same time every week/month/day you can set it to start recording at the same time weekly, daily, monthly etc.

I like it a lot, it records programmes for me all the time and it's always nice to find a programme that I'd forgot about recorded.

Only thing missing is the weekly programme guide. We need this, it would be fantastic only for this one thing.

Recording out to my DVD recorder is quick and easy to set-up.

Menus are nice and intuitive. :smashin:

5. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    The Pace Twin is superb, it can record radio and you can watch any recording while it is recording - great for moving programmes along by 1/2 an hour

6. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    I have the Humax and I think its a great piece of kit, with good customer support.
    Even my Mrs loves it and she uses it every day :thumbsup:

7. SNICK

SNICK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Don't let the smaller HD of the pace (20GB) put you off. It's dead easy to fit a bigger one (I've got 60GB - 34 hrs :) ).
    Only minus on this is you'll void your warranty. :blush:

8. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    I went for the Humax partly because I had read about numerous problems afflicting the Pace, partly because the Humax had good reviews. The fact that the Humax has only a single tuner didn't bother me as I have another Freeview STB (Ironically an old OnDigital Pace 730).

Suffice to say that the Humax is one of the best bits of kit that I have bought in recent years, it is now upgraded to 120GB - min 60 hours recording and if anything seems to be more stable than before the upgrade.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

N.B. There is an OTA firmware upgrade due soon and features such as recording radio (doesn't interest me) are supposed to be addressed at some time.