Humax twin - tuner 1 dead!

daniel f

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have a HUMAX FOXSAT-HDR. Tuner 1 is dead and I need to find a way to force it to use tuner 2 for freesat so I can use the EPG-

The history:

1. Had the dish, single lnb and cable set up nicely for 3 or so years, looping tuner1's output into tuner 2. Then suddenly "no signal". Nothing.

2. As it coincided with some bad weather (wet and windy) I got up on the roof and had a fiddle with the aligment. To no avail.

3. Bought myself a cheap (6 Pound) satellite finder which is powered by the recorder and helps align the dish. Discovered that tuner1 provides no output (didnt power the reader) but tuner 2 did.

4. Aligned satellite and got 80/80 power/quality on tuner 2 but couldnt autotune. Tuner 1 has 0/0.

5. used the secret menu to tell it there were 2 different cables and then to set tuner 2 to 28.2 freesat. (There seems no way to remove this freesat satelite from tuner 1, although you can add more).

6. return to autotune. Now it shows the 80/80 at the bottom and accepts the postcode. However cannot find the channels. - it seems to revert automatically to tuner 1 and the bars go to 0/0.

7 Go to manual tune and can tune in 304+ channels - including the freesat ones at the specific transponder. However these show the 80/80 bars and yet only show a blcak screen.

8. Use the menu to go back to freesat mode --> and promptly lose all my channels, and still cant autotune.

9. Tried fiddling about with the settings and teh factory reset but so far no luck.

My conclusion from the above is that: 1. tuner 1 is dead. 2. The humax by default uses tuner 1 for autotune.

I need to do one of the following:

A: make the software user tuner 2 to autotune freesat
B: manually open up the appliance and change the tuners around
C: somehow manually tune in the channels and set up the EPG if it is possible

Any help / advice greatly appreciated.

Have you tried turning off the mains for 30 min or so ?

A reset to factory defaults ?

Welcome to AVF.
Any help / advice greatly appreciated.
Mine is to get the supplier or the manufacturer to fix the faulty machine.

Hi.
Are the sat cables using a solid foam dielectric, or the cheaper air-spaced type? Just OP mentioned "wet" weather, and old compromised cable + rain can dump water into the tuner can.
First step would be to check for signs of water ingress and if so, replace the cable. The entire run, with decent cable with foam dielectric. Else it'll just happen again.
If your cable is letting water in, connecting it to tuner2 will simply drown that one too.
This may be an opportunity to upgrade to a quad LNB and run a second cable to enable twin-tuner mode.
Then, I seem to recall reading on here that Humax spares sell replacement tuner modules for around £50; cheaper than a new machine, and you keep recordings etc. I gather no soldering required; the twin tuner module just plugs into the mainboard.
http://www.avforums.com/forums/free...er-fault-where-can-i-buy-replacement-pcb.html
--
Regards, Iain.

Agree with iaint - mythe first thing I would check is both ends of cable 1 to verify well earthed. Also did you try swapping cable 1 and 2 on the Foxsat?

Thanks very much for your answers.

Currently the cable is running just into tuner 2. tuner 1 is empty.

The cables are solid foam dielectric. I would have thought it was difficult if not impossible for moisture to travel such a distance. What would the signs of water ingress be? would it be damp? I havn't noticed any damp or moisture around either cable end.

I'm assuming the moisture would have to get right down and into the box, right? Given that tuner 2 shows good strength and channels means that the cable is at least OK now - and recall that the satellite finder draws no power from tuner 1, (using a fresh bit of cable direct to it) - which means that it is not functioning.

In any case, when I installed it I did put in a second cable so that I would have the possibility of putting in a second LNB in the future. On Friday I will get a chance to try shifting to that and let you know.

Will try powering off for 30+ minutes today and report back.

I've tried factory reset a few times.

The machine is out of warranty so I can't get them to replace it.

I'll look into buying the new tuner card - at 50 pounds its reasonable.

Thanks again.

How old is the HDR? Is it still under warranty? (According to EU rules, this should be 2 years from new.)

I'll look into buying the new tuner card - at 50 pounds its reasonable.
If you are interested in a second hand one - I have a bricked HDR (Loader overwrittem) p.m. me if you are interested You can have the tuner card for £30. Anyone want a power suppy?

How old is the HDR? Is it still under warranty? (According to EU rules, this should be 2 years from new.)

Those EU rules do NOT apply in this country - we have the superior Sale of Goods Act (SOGA) which provides up to 6 years protection but like the EU regulations puts the onus on the customer to provide proof the item was inherently faulty at time of purchase (usually by report from independent engineer if retailer/manufacturer disputes claim). So don't waste peoples time quoting EU regulations that do NOT apply in the UK.

The machine is out of warranty so I can't get them to replace it.
UK customer protection legislation - whether or not that is related to the EU and its regulations;) - is more important than warranties, imho.

So don't waste peoples time quoting EU regulations that do NOT apply in the UK.
Actually, they do. Our parliament is obliged to enact such directives if we have not got equivalent legislation already, and the provisions of the directive were incorporated into UK law already. (PS. It's 5 years in Scotland.)

http://www.oft.gov.uk/business-advice/treating-customers-fairly/sogahome/sogaexplained/

One thing to note is that your beef is always with the retailer, not the manufacturer. The retailer cannot fob you off by asking you to contact the manufacturer, even when the warranty has expired.

and recall that the satellite finder draws no power from tuner 1, (using a fresh bit of cable direct to it) - which means that it is not functioning.

The first thing I'd do is trace the LNB voltage feed from the PSU to the tuner, using a multimeter. Chances are it's not reaching the tuner because:
1. a fusible protection resistor has blown.
2. a regulator or switching transistor has blown
3. there's an open-circuit somewhere

It's unlikely to be anything more complicated, otherwise it would be stuck on either 13 volts or 18 volts.

If the voltage IS reaching the tuner, then there's an open-circuit inside the tuner. This fault is so rare that I've seen it only ONCE in my entire career (during which I repaired in excess of 25,000 receivers). It had been caused by a short-circuit in the 'F' plug.

If the fault was caused by water, it would be fairly obvious. In fact there's a photo on my web site.
corroded_socket2.jpg

Those EU rules do NOT apply in this country - we have the superior Sale of Goods Act (SOGA) which provides up to 6 years protection but like the EU regulations puts the onus on the customer to provide proof the item was inherently faulty at time of purchase (usually by report from independent engineer if retailer/manufacturer disputes claim). So don't waste peoples time quoting EU regulations that do NOT apply in the UK.

Here we go again. The UK cannot opt out of EU rules. Anyway if SOGA is superior the two year guarantee must apply with SOGA taking over for the subsequent four years.

Here we go again. The UK cannot opt out of EU rules. Anyway if SOGA is superior the two year guarantee must apply with SOGA taking over for the subsequent four years.

I wish you would actually read the SOGA regulations instead of constantly posting this chestnut. You get up to 5 yrs in Engand, but after a period the onus is on the complainant to prove the goods were unfit for purpose (6 months). Clearly this varies with the product, how far would you get complaining the pound of tomatoes you bought must have been unfit for purpose when you bought them 6 months ago :D

Telling posters they have an automatic right to redress after a couple of years is :

Entirely incorrect

Massively misleading :eek:

Additionally your rights are against the retailer, you have zero claim on the manufacturer. In this case unless you have a written guarantee from the maker and read the fine print the retailer is your only source of legal recompense. (the maker has no obligation to provide a warranty at all)

Read and learn something

Sale of Goods Act - Which? Consumer Rights

The UK cannot opt out of EU rules
There's a different way of looking at that.
If the EU has a rule that's already covered by UK law we do nothing; if it isn't we make UK law to cover it.

I wish you would actually read the SOGA regulations instead of constantly posting this chestnut. You get up to 5 yrs in England.[. /url]

6 years actually.

I have read SOGA. I simply said the UK cannot opt out of EU rules. Up to 2 years it would appear the EU guarantee is better, between years 2 to 6 SOGA is better so takes over.

6 years actually.

I have read SOGA. I simply said the UK cannot opt out of EU rules. Up to 2 years it would appear the EU guarantee is better, between years 2 to 6 SOGA is better so takes over.

The EU regulations are a set of regulations for countries where there is no superior legislation in place. It has been deemed that SOGA is superior so the EU regulations do NOT apply in the UK.

In what way do you consider the EU regulations superior?

SOGA gives you diminishing returns. So say at just under 2 years your product would be deemed to be 1/3 used so any compensation is based on 2/3s original cost. The EU legislation is a 2 year guarantee and is valid throughout the EU, rather than just the UK.

But it's valid in the UK only because it has been incorporated into UK law.

I think that this thread has wandered slightly off topic. I expect a moderator will be along in a bit to put everyone back on the straight and narrow:laugh::devil:

I'll see if I can find one and send him, or her, in.

Well, following my on-topic post #12, I reckon everyone is simply twiddling thumbs, waiting for the OP to report back his findings.

nowster said:
The product warranty that is supplied with goods is an entirely separate and unrelated thing to the EU 'warranty'. There is actually no entitlement to any manufacturers warranty. The EU 'warranty' only provides you with a minimum limitation period for the use of certain statutory rights, that's your 'guarantee'.

If the manufacturers warranty says a year, that's what it is. You can still use your statutory rights (SOGA) after the warranty expires though.
Up to 2 years it would appear the EU guarantee is better, between years 2 to 6 SOGA is better so takes over.

SOGA gives you diminishing returns. So say at just under 2 years your product would be deemed to be 1/3 used so any compensation is based on 2/3s original cost. The EU legislation is a 2 year guarantee and is valid throughout the EU, rather than just the UK.
You're misunderstanding this, I'm afraid. Everything we're entitled to is in SOGA, including the relevant conditions from the EU regs. Neither is better, they're one and the same for our purposes. All the EU entitlements have been part of SOGA for a decade. As such, there is no point in referring to anything other than SOGA.

Statutory rights are not the same as a typical product warranty. As has been mentioned in this thread, after 6 months it's up to the consumer to demonstrate non-conformity with the regs. It's not a case of "I have a faulty product, you're obligated to fix it", more "I have a product which is defective in such a way that it means the conditions in the contract of sale have been breached and here's why that is the case...".

I mean, think about it, 2 year warranties on bananas, pens, tyres, socks, etc? Not logical, is it? :)

You didn't take the hint from these:
I think that this thread has wandered slightly off topic. I expect a moderator will be along in a bit to put everyone back on the straight and narrow:laugh::devil:
I'll see if I can find one and send him, or her, in.
I found one, he's here, and he says: No more OT posts!

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom