• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Humax Screen resolution.

kwallace

Standard Member
Hello all. I have just bought a Humax Fox T2 Feeview HD Pvr. After downloading a new software upgrade it seems to be working fine. One thing I'm not sure about is what resolution to leave it on. I watch HD channels as well as SD . Should I leave it on 572 or 1080i. Someone mentioned leaving it on "original" setting but when I scroll through the "V Format" button it goes from 572 to 720 to 1080i then 1080p. There is no mention of "original". My tv is a Sony 37W5500. Am I being daft?

help
cheers
Kev

brookheather

Distinguished Member
I have a 1080p Plasma TV and mostly watch the HD channels so I have mine set to 1080i which is the original format. If you are watching SD channels and have a 720p TV then you may find one of the other settings gives a better picture. I would leave it on 1080i.

- Simon.

ejstubbs

Someone mentioned leaving it on "original" setting but when I scroll through the "V Format" button it goes from 572 to 720 to 1080i then 1080p. There is no mention of "original". My tv is a Sony 37W5500. Am I being daft?

You are not being daft, there is no "original" setting.

Some people perceive the picture quality on SD channels upscaled in the Humax to be softer than if the upscaling is left to the TV. To achieve that when going from an HD channel to an SD channel you have to switch the output resolution of the box to 576i using the v-format button on the remote (remembering to set it back to 1080i when going back to an HD channel, of course). An "original" setting would tell the box to output at the resolution of the broadcast stream, but unfortunately such a setting doesn't exist.

kwallace

Standard Member
I have to say , it's a bit of a palaver having to double click through all the options to change to the correct resolution when you watch std then Hi Def channels. I'm surprised the Humax doesn't do it automatically.

kev

PhilipL

Hi

You are not being daft, there is no "original" setting.

Some people perceive the picture quality on SD channels upscaled in the Humax to be softer than if the upscaling is left to the TV. To achieve that when going from an HD channel to an SD channel you have to switch the output resolution of the box to 576i using the v-format button on the remote (remembering to set it back to 1080i when going back to an HD channel, of course). An "original" setting would tell the box to output at the resolution of the broadcast stream, but unfortunately such a setting doesn't exist.

The better option that might work for you is to leave it on 1080i, this will allow your TV to de-interlace where it will likely do a better job, and allowing the TV to de-interlace helps the "motion flow" processing in the TV to do a better job. To avoid double scaling on SD, this is where the source upscales SD to 1080, then the TV scaler upscales it a bit more to make the image bigger for overscan, set the screen setting called "Display Area" to Full Pixel, this essentially disables the inbuilt upscaler of the TV. It is the second double scaling that can add some softness to the already soft SD Freeview pictures that the TV companies think look good, as each scaling process is lossy.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Phil

kwallace

Standard Member
Hi Phil,
thanks for the tip. Cant seem to find "full pixel" setting on my Sony though. When I go on to "display area" the only options I have are ...Normal. -1 and -2. I'm sure I can remember seeing full pixel setting before, but damned if I can find it now.
Any ideas?

Cheers
kev

petrev

Hi Phil,
thanks for the tip. Cant seem to find "full pixel" setting on my Sony though. When I go on to "display area" the only options I have are ...Normal. -1 and -2. I'm sure I can remember seeing full pixel setting before, but damned if I can find it now.
Any ideas?

Cheers
kev

Hi

My Sony TV

1080 HDMI only
Options Full Pixel / Normal / -1

Other HDMI
Options +1 / Normal / -1

Cheers
Pete

petrev

Mmm. What's full pixel on my w5500 then? Normal, -1 or -2 .
It's all jolly confusing.

May not have a full pixel mode then ?

Are those the options when in 1080 output mode from the Humax ?

Nearest to Full is whatever mode gives you the biggest picture image area (everything is smallest) probably Normal ref. my numbers.

Pete

kwallace

Standard Member
Will keep it on normal. Does anyone know how to get the tv to switch over to the Humax when I switch the Humax on. It used to default to the AV2 when I switched my old Humax on via scart. The new one is via HDMI and I have to manually switch it over to the correct setting everytime I want to watch the pvr.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom