1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Humax - recording functions disappear. HELP!!

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by condyk, Nov 28, 2004.

Tags:
  1. condyk

condyk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Well ... this is a weird one:

Humax 8000T worked perfectly since new. Upgraded two months ago to 160GB HD and continued to work perfectly still. Last night, set it to record a couple of programmes and this morning seems to have worked according to recordings menu. BUT screen is black when I try to replay recordings shown. Ok ... lets do a re-boot just to see if there's a glitch. Turn machine off and on again and it reboots. All settings gone, so now I have to enter 0000 to access menu items ... BUT ALSO I can no longer even access the recording menu. It's not there any more. The menu list starts with Preferences and ends with Games, when it used to start with recording. Tried scheduling more recordings tonight. Didn't work. Asks me if I want to watch the programme sceduled!! Is operating like a standard Freview box. Where's all my recording functionality?

Dave :-(

2. jerryq7777

jerryq7777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +651
    Try putting your original HD back in see if the menus return.

3. condyk

condyk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Menu returns to normal with the original HD, which implies there is a HD problem. But the 8000T apparently has this same 'forgetting it's a PVR' with original drives or replacements. It seems to be a intermittent but almost universal fault that many owners experience. It is well documented on the RadioandTelly.co.uk forum.

The 'cure' is to turn the machine off using the rear switch for 30 seconds or so and then turn it on again. When it's rebooted the menu and functionality return. But, NOT in my case. What's happening is that the Games module loads and the HD doesn't seem to load itself. So works fine as a set to box but as it can't see a HD there is no recording related functionality at all.

So, still looking for a cure. One option is to remove HD and use the old one. Another is to remove and reformat, return it and then try it again ... losing 80Gb worth of film recordings in the process!!!!!!

Anyone with similar experience and a possible solution please post a response. Much appreciated.

Thanks

Dave

4. Fatman

Fatman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had that problem when I moved the unit whilst it was still switched on. I assumed that this 'unsettled' the HDD. The unit was OK after I powered-down and rebooted. If I recall correctly it didn't lose my recordings but it did lose the forthcoming recording schedule.

5. condyk

condyk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Unit was just sat on its shelf. No movement to unsettle it. Tried the power-down and reboot trick and no joy.

6. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    I know that some people have suffered from this problem (I have not seen it my self) but one thing that you could try is to reflash the firmware with a pc and the cable connection. You don't say which HDD you have?

7. condyk

condyk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have the Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 160GB IDE ATA/133 8MB cache 7200RPM. I don't have the required cable/s to go the PC route ... though I have a laptop. I think you need two cables or something: one from Humax and one you have to make or source elsewhere ... or have I got it wrong? Seems daft, so I probably misread something somewhere. Also daft they don't give you a cable, or at least make it simple to get one when you register with them. How easy is the process ... and getting hold of the cable/s?

8. Flak_Munky

Flak_Munky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Humax forgetting it is a pvr can be a common problem, although I have never suffered from it. Power down and switch it off using the switch at the rear left. Leave it of for 30 seconds and then turn it back on almost always fixes it.

Have a look over at www.radioandtelly.co.uk as there is a very informative Humax discussion board, with helpful members. This intermittent fault is well documented and covered.

Surprised other users have found it to be unreliable... I never have, nor have most other users. Although I second the desire for a DVB + DVDR + HDD box...

Regards,

fM

9. condyk

condyk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks. I tried that and no joy. I have previously read all the way through the related Radioandtelly thread and also posted this issue, but no solution presented for when the off/on switch trick doesn't work. At the moment I am using the original 40GB HD and it's fine. Won't take long to fill that though :-(