Humax PVR9300 -v- Topfield TF5810

Martin68

Established Member
Reaction score
I am needing to buy a good pvr with hdmi, i see the Topfield is more expensive, but can somebody please list me the pros and cons between these two best pvr's?

Which one has better user friendlyness and better features, reliability etc.

I am needing to buy a good pvr with hdmi, i see the Topfield is more expensive, but can somebody please list me the pros and cons between these two best pvr's?

Which one has better user friendlyness and better features, reliability etc.

Personally I don't think the 5810 is worth the premuim price over the 5800 which is a great pvr. If you have a decent TV the hdmi out is pretty worthless.

In case you hadn't spotted, the OP asked the question back in May - I'd imagine he's probably sorted by now ! :)

Personally I don't think the 5810 is worth the premuim price over the 5800 which is a great pvr. If you have a decent TV the hdmi out is pretty worthless.

But have I seen something about the power supply not lasting very long on the 5800?
Has that been fixed on the 5810?

As you can tell I still havn't made up my mind!!

But have I seen something about the power supply not lasting very long on the 5800?

I've had my TF5800 for 3 or 4 years now and not had a problem with the power supply. Get yourself over to the forums at toppy.org.uk - they're a great source of info for the TF5800 and 5810.

In case you hadn't spotted, the OP asked the question back in May - I'd imagine he's probably sorted by now ! :)
:eek:

I never knowingly leave a post unanswered if I can make any non-totally-waste-of-time response to it - however did OP slip thru the net? Sorry, OP :(

clemenzina

I've had my TF5800 for 3 or 4 years now and not had a problem with the power supply. Get yourself over to the forums at toppy.org.uk - they're a great source of info for the TF5800 and 5810.

Thanks Mikej, been there done that! Still pondering!!

Did I say that Humax has the worst remote in the whole very world? It does: buttons that I use (others may not) are hidden under a sliding flap at the bottom of the remote, and what's more are too small and fiddly. I couldn't live with it (others can and do, obviously), I think it was anger that Humax had been supplying the same awful remote for each new model that was the last straw and I sent the darn thing back to them :mad:

As for the Topfield remote - once MyStuff (probably other TAPs too) is on it one needs to use it regularly so's one learns the non-intuitive button functions. And if, like me, you prefer reading manuals on paper, then print the MyStuff manual full size, don't try to save money by printing 2 pages on A4 sideways (so you end up with a little book, if you work on it) like wot I did, which is not dead easy to read, especially graphics of remote control with button functions specified.

These little things... ;)

clemenzina

...buttons that I use (others may not) are hidden under a sliding flap at the bottom of the remote, and what's more are too small and fiddly. I couldn't live with it (others can and do, obviously)..

You can easily slide the flap off completely, which is what I've done with my 9200 remote. It's still not the best bit of design ever, but very usable once you get used to it.

You can easily slide the flap off completely

I know, Gary. As I said, it was the anger that finished me ;)

Oh, and the poor timing was another factor, with programmes missing too many starts and ends :(

clemenzina :)

As you can tell I still havn't made up my mind!!

Mines 6yrs old and still going strong

I have had my topfield TF5800 for 2 weeks now and i have had no problems and it's well worth the extra money over the other makes.

I was looking through the forums before i bought this PVR and the topfield had less issues than the other makes and i think that says a lot.

The support forums are excellent you can learn a lot there also the pc connection feature is worth the extra cost as well as you can archive programs to the pc for storage and also update firmware and TAPS i have only installed the poker game tap up to now.

It has coped ok with phase 1 of DSO at winter hill.

andy

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom