Humax PVR9200T

now explain to me, why on earth would you ever want to record two recordings are off the same mux? Doesnt that mean 2 of the same channel?

A mux is one UHF TV "channel" (and it's this that the tuner(s) tune in to). Each mux contains several different TV and/or radio programmes. There are only six muxes to cover the entire spread of programmes you can get on Freeview.

So, for example:

You can record programme (a) from mux 1 using tuner 1.
You can also record programme (b) from mux C using tuner 2.
At the same time you could watch programme (c) provided it shares either Mux 1 or Mux C

Full details of the muxes and their contents are here:

http://www.dtg.org.uk/retailer/dtt_channels.html

Will it be possible to record 2 channels and play back a recording at the same time?

Yes, I believe so. It's certainly theoretically possible and I believe I've read that this box will have it enabled.

Timh said:
Will it be possible to record 2 channels and play back a recording at the same time?
I would certainly expect so, the Digifusion FVRT200 already does this for example.

Great cheers :)

Theres a source button on the front! does that mean we can record from an external box like Sky?

Attachments

• pvr9200tfront.jpg
    pvr9200tfront.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 158
I wouldn't count on it.

Timh said:
Theres a source button on the front! does that mean we can record from an external box like Sky?

Bit of a newbie question but I assumed that most PVRs would take an external signal (ie my telewest box) via an rgb scart. Is this a completely incorrect assumption?

scotte said:
Bit of a newbie question but I assumed that most PVRs would take an external signal (ie my telewest box) via an rgb scart. Is this a completely incorrect assumption?

PVRs will not do this.

bowler said:
PVRs will not do this.

Thanks for the reply. I suppose that's why so many of them have built in freeview. Is there anything similar that I can connect my telewest box to (eg dvd rec with HDD)? I was kinda hoping that this new humax would.

dont beleave what you read in the review abbout the toppy it is a spoton bit of kit picture quality is spot on and i dont know how i servived without it its well worth the extra mony :clap: :clap: :clap:

scotte said:
I suppose that's why so many of them have built in freeview.
It's more probably because they are marketed as Freeview PVRs.
scotte said:
Is there anything similar that I can connect my telewest box to (eg dvd rec with HDD)? I was kinda hoping that this new humax would.
DVD rec with HDD. Correct. aside from the hard to obtain and more or less obsolete (in the UK) TiVO, a HDD-DVD is the way to do it. Ideally, get one with Set Top Box control (and maybe GuidePlus TM) to make the job of setting timers much, much easier. eg the Pioneer 530.

scotte said:

The current crop of Freeview HDD recorders won't, nor will Sky+, as they are designed to just record the digital bitstream to disk. They have no circuitry for analogue>digital>MPEG2 compression which is needed to record a generic external source.

Earlier systems designed to work with Analogue will do it (of course!). eg. TiVo.

Gav

DuoVisio/9200T ?

I'm subscribing to this thread as I like the idea of the Humax 9200T.

Let's hope it's in the shops soon. If anyone sees it for sale or has any new info please let us know.

LV426 said:
aside from the hard to obtain and more or less obsolete (in the UK) TiVO, a HDD-DVD is the way to do it. Ideally, get one with Set Top Box control (and maybe GuidePlus TM) to make the job of setting timers much, much easier. eg the Pioneer 530.

Your best bet for functionality with Telewest is definitely TiVo as it is not obsolete for analogue sources.
In fact it has features that may not appear in DVRs in the Uk for the next 5 to 10 years.
Hardware-wise it is almost obsolete. But software-wise it is still years ahead of the UK competition due to its use of metadata and the thousands of hacks available for it.

Four years of Sky+ development and we still don't have a fraction of a 5 year old UK TiVos functionality.

So, Cyril, which High St store do I go to, to buy a new one?

LV426 said:
So, Cyril, which High St store do I go to, to buy a new one?

I guess technically I live on a high street so my store! :)

However Ebay and Tivoland.com are much cheaper than my prices.

Obviously the UK motherboards are at least 5 years old, but every other part can be found new by importing from the USA.

New hard drives,ide cables, infrared leads and TiVo compatible remotes can be bought in most UK high streets.

More or less what I meant by "more or less obsolete" - i.e. you can't readily buy a new one any more.

Only version1 Tivo's can be purchased for the UK and these are nowhere near as advanced as version2. Also recordings are compressed so they aren't broadcast quality (although still good). I think it's quite expensive too with a box costing around £300 and then an adaptor needed for Telewest which costs about £30 plus a £10 monthly charge.

However I believe Tivo is the only PVR you can use with Telewest until they bring their own out.

any news on where i can preorder the PVR-9200T then? i am sucked in for one at the end of the month, looks good!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom