Humax PVR9200T John Lewis Price Match

chipstix24

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

Was wondering if I could ask your help.

I'm heading to John Lewis at the weekend and would like to buy a
Humax 9200T PVR

Was hoping people could list the best 'high street' 'in store price' they've found for this item, so that I can get John Lewis to pricematch.

John Lewis price is same as online: £229

Would rather take the route of buying in store as it is a present from my folks and they prefer to buy there and then than give me cash or order online!

Any help greatly appreciated!!

Chris

Hi Chris,
I think £229 is pretty much standard in the high street for the 9200. We went all over at the weekend, currys, comet, John lewis, co-op, dixons etc and there seems to little difference although I'm sure it was 219 somewhere. I tried to get Lewis to price match currys yesterday for the Fusion 200 as they want £200 for it but they wouldn't do it as curry's have no stock left (I got a display model last night after a lot of pleading and asking for the manager). You will get it for about £199 on the Net but I didn't want one from there either, even though Tribal has the one I got for £154.

Hope that helps a bit :hiya:

Buy it in the store of John Lewis. When the box goes faulty, or you want a refund, it is easier to deal with a shop than via a phone call to an on-line shop. John Lewis is good with returns and repairs so it is worth the extra money you would save if you buy it online...

There are many bugs and problems with the Humax 9200T - I would suggest you give it a 'burn test' once you get it, and read up in the forums about the expected troubles you might get with this PVR...

Thanks guys...

what is a 'burn test'?

are there really lots of bugs with this unit? Are these the sort of bugs that are likely to be fixed with manual or automatic software upgrades?

cheers,

Chris

Like any other PVR it has issues but if you are just using it for recording and playback of recordings you shouldn't have too much trouble. I had none with mine. It's an excellent piece of kit.

Do buy it at John Lewis. Or Turbosat are good too....

When you buy a new computer 'burn it in' by running it constantly for a long while... during this time, if anything is likely to go wrong, it would have 'burnt out'... and then you could return it or get it fix. If nothing goes wrong then you will be fine for the next number of years...

What I'm trying to say is that during your first few weeks, make sure you use the Humax to the full, so that you've had a proper test - to see if the device will fail or continue to work or whether you like it or would want to return it. Most places will give you 2 weeks to a month for this period of no quibble returns...

It is reported as having a noticable tendency to lock up/freeze requiring a power cycle to recover. Yes, software upgrade will theoretically fix it in due time. However, Humax appear to be working on a remedy with all the urgency of a snail. It's missing the odd useful feature, too - such as the ability to start playback of a recording before it's finished.

Rumour has it that the Topfield is now pretty reliable with its current software stack. And is better specified.

Interesting....

thanks for the tips - which Topfield is it, have based all my research on the Humax and know nothing about the Topfield....

Thanks,

Chris

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom