Humax Pvr9200t/b

v CJ v

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to air my opinion on this Freeview / Twin Tuner.

It's excellent.

I previously bought a Thomson box, and was disapointed with the quality, so i returned it, and bought the HUMAX PVR9200T/B.

It was £180, reduced down from £200, from a High street retailer.

It's twin tuner, which means you can record and watch TV, or, record two channels at the same time.

The picture quality is great.

The functions / menu is smart and easy to use.

I love the digital display on the unit, showing you the channel you are watching, along with the time :D

I recommend it, without a doubt.

I only have one picture since setting it up:

CIMG5469.jpg

399663_71711.jpg

Phew! I wondered what you were going to say - I'm anxious cos I'm waiting for mine to be delivered in the next day or two ;)

I've just been reading about the EPG taking a long time to populate. My cheap 'n cheerful Vestel DTR160 populates virtually instantly, I'll be mighty disappointed if the prestigious Humax is slow!

clemenzina

There are a few display units available at some currys for £129,I got one last week for £116 as they could not find the box.They are selling these off as the new 320gb model is comming out soon for £229(available now from Humax direct) or the black 160gb for around £180.

I already had a 9200 since Oct 2005 they are a great machine unfortunatley my first one recently developed a fault and was out of guarantee.

Fortunatley I managed to get a bargain on this machine as I just could not do without it.

Phew! I wondered what you were going to say - I'm anxious cos I'm waiting for mine to be delivered in the next day or two ;)

I've just been reading about the EPG taking a long time to populate. My cheap 'n cheerful Vestel DTR160 populates virtually instantly, I'll be mighty disappointed if the prestigious Humax is slow!

clemenzina

I've had no problems with it at all.

It really is great, and comparing it to the Thomson, it's out of this world.

I'm finding my self looking for programs to record, just for the sake of it :rotfl:

You will not be disapointed. :thumbsup:

clemenzina

It does. I'm not sure though if the Humax can be described as presitgious - there were better featured more expensive PVRs around at the time of its launch. As you've probably read a number of times Humax and Topfield PVR platform keeps its EPG in memory that gets wiped when the PVR is turned off. Their standby is more off than most of the freeview PVRs which seem to only switch the A/V outputs and some spin the drive down as well ; something these Korean manufacturers can learn from maybe. They populate the EPG when you first switch them on and they can do so for all channels for 7 days between 5 and 10 minutes. Slow, if you happen to want to schedule all your recordings at that time too. The Topfield can use taps though so its possible to find taps that gets the EPG and save it to a file onto the actual hard disk. Might be worth a strong consideration if within the 7 day return period you change your mind about the Humax. On the Humax and Topfield without taps you either have to not schedule all your recordings for the first 10 minutes of the day it is on, or if you are in a rush take 15 seconds out to tell the PVR the channel and time to record using a manual timer form.

If you like the Humax and are happy to use the machine with EPG populating when switched on, you can always explore a feature some people use. You can tell the machine to automatically switch itself on at a certain time from standby every morning before you get up (or a time before you arrive home from work) so it gathers the EPG in the background, ready for when you first use the machine. Some people may leave the machine on anyway, but I dont bother as its a feature of the PVR that only affects it from switch on. Put it this way, though most owners would welcome the EPG being there 5 minutes earlier sure - another nice enhancement, but they wouldn't want to loose the PVR for any of the cheaper offerings. If you don't actually need a the power and convenience features of the Humax you could always try a cheaper model of which there are lots to choose from. I have a Vestel clone which is, though not pushed, mostly fine for example.

Hi.

I have an 9200t on order.

Is it possible to have the 9200t tune to a specific channel when it resumes from standby.

As i find that the EPG on most PVS`s populate quickly if it is tuned to BBC1.

regards

John.

Hi.

I have an 9200t on order.

Is it possible to have the 9200t tune to a specific channel when it resumes from standby.

regards

John.

I'm not sure, i will look into this feature when i return home from work this evening.

regards

John.

As the v1.00.21 Freeview Playback firmware is about to go OTA, you will no longer need to tune to specific channel for quick EPG population. The firmware will populate the EPG fully (7 days) in under 10 minutes (as part of the FP specs).

You do have an auto power-on option which you can set the box to come on 10 minutes before you are ready to use it and hence you will have a complete EPG...

I just tried Curry's in Friern Barnet, and they said it's not end of line. I wish they'd have a definitive Nationwide policy on this.....

There are a few display units available at some currys for £129,I got one last week for £116 as they could not find the box.They are selling these off as the new 320gb model is comming out soon for £229(available now from Humax direct) or the black 160gb for around £180.

I already had a 9200 since Oct 2005 they are a great machine unfortunatley my first one recently developed a fault and was out of guarantee.

Fortunatley I managed to get a bargain on this machine as I just could not do without it.

Hi.

also deleting any unused channels speeds EPG population times up as well.

another question, can you stop encrypted channels from being added to the EPG and channel list, or do you have to delete them manualy.

thanks

John.

As the v1.00.21 Freeview Playback firmware is about to go OTA, you will no longer need to tune to specific channel for quick EPG population. The firmware will populate the EPG fully (7 days) in under 10 minutes (as part of the FP specs).

You do have an auto power-on option which you can set the box to come on 10 minutes before you are ready to use it and hence you will have a complete EPG...

They are not discontinuing the 9200 as such but the 9200tbx 320gb is available from Humax direct now and should be available from Uk retailers later this month.

Humax are selling it for £229 which is the same rrp that the 9200 was originally launched at.

I think the silver 9200t which was the original model will only be around till current stocks are gone.When I bought mine on Saturday from Wolverhampton Currys they checked all local branches (about 6) and they were all showing just 1 in stock at each store(probably their demo machine)which were all priced at £129 on their computer even though the display said £149.

Nice bit of kit.

I think, since my Tosh HD DVD player is now on hold:rolleyes::(, i'll pick one of these up instead:devil:

They are not discontinuing the 9200 as such but the 9200tbx 320gb is available from Humax direct now and should be available from Uk retailers later this month.

Humax are selling it for £229 which is the same rrp that the 9200 was originally launched at.

I think the silver 9200t which was the original model will only be around till current stocks are gone.When I bought mine on Saturday from Wolverhampton Currys they checked all local branches (about 6) and they were all showing just 1 in stock at each store(probably their demo machine)which were all priced at £129 on their computer even though the display said £149.

Jsut to be sure. The brand new version coming out has a 320GB HDD and will be around £229?

Is the current one a 160GB drive?

This will be sufficent for me. Looks better in black too. Might be able to pick one of these up for £150 ish?

Yes all the current 9200's from UK retailers are 160gb,the black does look rather nice:)and the new 9200tbx is sold for £229 by Humax directly right now.I would suspect if they are keeping the 9200tb black 160gb, the price will have to come down a bit.

By the way Humax are offering a 3 year warranty on the 320gb model at the moment rather than the 2 yrs on the 160gb version.So the extra 1 yr warranty coupled with the double size disc is worth the extra £40-£50 over the 160gb version.

Best price on the 9200tb (160GB) seems to be around £160. Will see if the price change in the short term. Depends how soon the stores get the new model and whether that has any impact...

Anyone have a best price for the Humax PVR9200T in black? Maybe Currys are only selling off the silver version.

When I spoke to a Curry's salesman, who had one Humax on display, how much was this display model, he said full price - £179.99. Is that right to charge full whack on a display model? Doesn't sound right - can they do that?

- can they do that?
Yes, if someone will pay it :( But the money-saving experts say we should haggle down the price of everything, I just don't have the front to do it.

clemenzina

I'm happy to haggle...and take stuff back. It's a total insult to offer equipment that's been shop soiled at full rrp.

I had a look at the settings this morning.

It appears you can time it for the unit to switch on and off at a certain time, with a certain channel.

I was unable to find a default feature, to set the same channel to switch to when the unit is turned on.

I had a look at the settings this morning.

It appears you can time it for the unit to switch on and off at a certain time, with a certain channel.

I was unable to find a default feature, to set the same channel to switch to when the unit is turned on.

Yes you should be able to tell the machine what time to switch itself on and to which channel you want. So if the purpose is to collect the EPG for you in the background before you use the machine then choose BBC1, as thats been the best source/performaer on Freeview.

If I remember correctly the Humax PVR in normal operation, when you switch it on yourself, remembers what channel you were on last.

If you don't actually need the power and convenience features of the Humax you could always try a cheaper model of which there are lots to choose from. I have a Vestel clone which is, though not pushed, mostly fine for example.
I've had a Thomson, a Digifusion (both irretrievably frozen after a few weeks - and yes, I've tried, lord knows I've tried :rolleyes: ), and 3 Vestel clones. The Vestels are brilliant if only their creator would bother to fix bugs. I really should be living happily with what I'm currently using: Digihome PVR160 upgraded to twin-record, and Evesham DTR250, both operating from the same remote, highly convenient - but the Evesham is a T816 and I'm so angry that simple features of the earlier model don't work on it that I'm going to off-load it somewhere in favour of the Humax...

...which I'm a-sittin' here waiting to be delivered, am all clean 'n polished and decently dressed for a change,

Ooooooooooooh, it's just arrived, see ya later :clap:

clemenzina

Later...

At the moment I loathe, hate and detest it :mad: Just a selection of niggles:

(1) Testing the interactive red button on QVC - the product photos in the "recent items" are all to the right-hand side of their frames instead of central. I know it's not the transmission, I've got a Digihome hitched up to my old TV alongside it, and that's fine.

(2) When fast-forwarding thru carp in Countdown and pausing at the end of the 30 seconds to view the letter selection, the 'progress info bar' stays put covering up the letter selection until I manage to get rid of it - but I can't figure out how I did it.

(3) I may not be able to return the Hummy if I lose my temper and snap off that damned slide cover, which hinders easy access to frequently-used (by me) buttons.

(4) Wot, no prominent Library button? Blimey :thumbsdow

As I said, just a selection :rolleyes: The whole thing (including the manual and feature names) has the disbenefit of being Oriental rather than European based.

I'm having a break to allow tetchiness to abate ;)

clemenzina

(2) When fast-forwarding thru carp in Countdown and pausing at the end of the 30 seconds to view the letter selection, the 'progress info bar' stays put covering up the letter selection until I manage to get rid of it - but I can't figure out how I did it.
Yes, its bloody annoying (especially in slowmo). The 'Exit' button kills it in pause at least. Another sign the box was designed by people who don't watch TV or use PVRs :(

Currys/PCWorld/Dixons - I hate them !!!

Online PCWorld and Dixons had the PVR9200ts for about £150 but none available in stock !
Then PCWorld dropped the price to £129 - but still none in stock on-line. (you may as well say it's free if there are non in stock). Called the hotline and they said there were none anywhere in any store.

I've visited stores of PCWorld in Stafford, Cannock and two in Stoke - each one wasting my time in one way or another.
They checked other stores for stock and many indicate they have 1 left. This is indeed usually the display model - but more likely someone at the shop has pinched it.
I've had several reserved on the phone and when you get there they can't find it.

Decided on the PVR9200tb instead - but Stoke only had 1 left (display) at £179
Managed to get £10 off, but they wouldn't price match with Dixons at £150.

So I finally got one and it's great !!! - but be wary of buying from the DSG group if they claim only to have one left.

ForzaFerrari....

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom