Humax PVR800T or Sony VTX-D800U

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Gizmo 76, Sep 29, 2004.

1. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    A Dilema I have..........

On Friday I have a new 42-inch PW6 Pannie Plasma arriving, in preperation for this I want to get a freeview box for my room. Now I've basically got it down to these two:-

The Sony:- Great Reviews, Mean't to be very fast, neat looking, big name, but no hard disk.

The Humax:- Great Reviews, Mean't to be fast, not sure about the look or build quality, has a 40gig Hard Disk.

Now usually I only buy stuff from makes that i've heard off, but the Humax has got me interested, for £50 more I would have the convenience of a Hard Disk recorder.

I'm honestly not sure how much I'd use the recorder, initially novelty will be there, and i'll be making cups of tea or getting a beer just so I can press pause, but after this will I use it?!? I don't think i've recorded anything off TV for about 3 months odd now.

What is the build quality of the Humax like?? and the Software Interface?? WHat is Sony's interface like?? Unable to find colour pictures of either software!!

Has anyone compared the two on picture quality?? Or how they cope with weak signals (not that I have a weak signal) ??

Any advice would be great, I will be purchasing one or the other tomorrow, please help.

Cheers,

Giz.

2. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    Most people really enthuse about the Humax PVR8000T. Build quality is good, reliability good, it's fast and the picture is great but the major point about this box is the built in hard disk recorder which works a treat and is easily upgradeable. All for a bargain price. :thumbsup:

3. rhawk

rhawk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My brother just got the Sony and it is a very solid performer, with excellent pictures. And we live in an area that's not supposed to recieve Freeview.

4. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    Cheers for the replys :thumbsup:

I ended up going with the Humax, the pausing and recording functions in the end won me over, I did prefer the look of the Sony though!!

My Signal is coming though at around 50%, with 100% Quality. Seem's a pretty good picture in comparsion to our Sky box downstairs.

Now time to play.........

Giz.