Humax Pvr8000t

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by vikingbones, Aug 7, 2004.

Tags:
  1. vikingbones

vikingbones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am thinking of buying the HUMAX PVR8000T and I was wondering if it has a fan and if so is it noisy. I have heard that some hard disc recorders are so noisy it makes it impossible to use them.

Also does anyone know where I can read a review of it.

Thanks

2. Sym_T

Sym_T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. ivanwilson

ivanwilson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Much quieter than my Sky+ box, pretty sure there isn't a fan, excellent recording quality, easy to use and I think it looks good - especially when you remove the protective plastic from the box and remote!

Also for £122 delivered it's a bit of a bargain - it doesn't have two tuners but, for the price, you could always buy a second one!!

4. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I bought one this weekend, when sat outside the tv unit I thought it was noisy but when installed it's fine.
    The chasing playback feature is good as is the reliability over my Twin, lots of 0s recordings on Saturday!
    Definetly worth it, recommended

5. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    There is no fan in the PVR8000T, but in this weather it could probably do with one. The temp inside the box can be pretty high after it has been on a while with both the PSU and the HDD churning out heat. Normally it's ok but in the high temperatures that we have had recently, it's sailing a bit too close to the wind. Possibly why a few people have reported strange reboots. I'm thinking about fitting a speed controllable fan (slow and inaudible) powered from the HDD 12v supply just to help the existing convective cooling system (holes in the lid!).

6. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Juat took delivery of mine and it's very, very quiet. Much quieter than Sky+. Can barely hear it from 6 inches and not at all from the sofa, which is 3 feet from the AV rack.

I think hard drives vary though so it may be down to luck.

7. Flak_Munky

Flak_Munky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't find it that noisy, although I don't think mine is as quiet as Ste's... I can hear a very quiet hum when it is switched on, but it is not as loud as my PC!!! :( With your TV at normal listening level you won't be able to hear it, if thats what you're worried 'bout.

Overall, its a good machine, now the 7/8 day EPG is out! ;) As long as you are happy with the single tuner (can't watch one FV channel and record another FV ch) then you won't be disappointed!

Some users have reported that the Maxtor DiamondMax 9 120Gb drives are even quieter than the standard one... and they can hold 60 hours....

Regards,

fM

I love it! All I need now is a DVD recorder... :)

fM

8. wadeall

wadeall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Seems very quiet to me. Ive been using it for a couple of weeks now and very pleased so far.

Wade