1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Humax PVR8000T signal corruption after start-up

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by SMCC, Aug 29, 2004.

Tags:
  1. SMCC

SMCC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had a Humax PVR for a few months now and am generally very happy with it. However it has a consistent problem which remains after this w/e's software update.

After switching on the box from standby the picture and sound is displayed / played clearly but then after about 20 seconds the signal is corrupted with frozen video and digital artefact (like a poor DAB signal) on the sound. This lasts about 20 seconds and then the picture and sound return to perfect quality.

This happens every time the box is turned on. It blights the start of every recording I've made. I have a top quality signal from a DTV aerial and am within 4 miles of Crystal Palace transmitter. The box does not appear to have any other problems.

Before I contact Humax, has anybody else here experienced this or a similar problem?

2. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Mine seems ok. have you tried to do the firmware upgrade again incase it had a problem when it installed, its what i would try. I think the update finishes at 10.00 am tomorrow.

3. SMCC

SMCC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Timh. firmware update seems fine - displaying correct version no. and all new features present and working (can record radio at last - hurray!). As I said the problem dates from day one of the box's life.
    I Probably should have contacted Humax sooner but it's useful to know if this is a problem others have experienced or just a one-off.

4. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    You could try emailing Humax direct. Here's the address of a guy that sent me the info for the latest update michaelc@humax-digital.co.uk

5. Plugman

Plugman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SMCC the box shouldn't do this and after contacting Humax when I had mine they agreed to swop it (Well QED did anyway). So I guess it is a hardware fault if you look on Radio and Telly forum you will see that you are not alone.

Hope this helps

6. ajross

ajross
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had exactly the same problem and logged a report with Humax who have just given me this advice, will be trying it this evening:

Please can you follow the instructions below to try to resolve the problem?
    1. Press MENU
    2. Select Installation and press OK
    3. Enter your password (default = 0000)
    4. Select Default setting and press OK
    5. Select YES and press OK
    6. Enter password
    The receiver will now take 20-30 seconds and then restart. When it boots up it
    will enter the Automatic Search and search for the channels again.

7. SMCC

SMCC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ajross - just wondering if that fixed the problem? Didn't help me...

8. Blu-rayx

Blu-rayx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +209
    SMCC,

I also have the same problem.
    The signal strength always shows between 90-94%,
    and sometimes the quality will drop from 100% to 0% :mad:

DVD

9. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    It could be your aerial. The direction that it points in is highly critical and usually very directional (i.e. having a tiny sweet spot)for digital signals. It can show good strength but be marginal as far as quality is concerned. This can present itself as good quality most of the time, but dropping to poor or highly variable quality when affected by external influences, such as the weather, trees, building work etc. You could try repositioning the aerial when you are experiencing problems until you find the direction for max signal quaiity. Just a thought :rolleyes:

10. Blu-rayx

Blu-rayx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +209
    I've never encountered this problem with previous freeview receivers.

DVD

11. SMCC

SMCC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Likewise. My sony digibox on the same aerial never has a reception problem. The humax always loses the signal approx. 20 seconds after start-up for about a minute, then it's perfect until the next time it starts-up from standby.