1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Humax PVR8000T and TwinRIP

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Ikki, Sep 22, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    I have been trying to extract programmes from a Humax PVR8000T disk today using the TwinRip utility. Both the PVR8000T and the Pace Twin use versions of the STVAFS, so there is a possibility that the ripping software may be compatible.

I used the standard 40GB disk from the Humax connected as a master (and the only attachment) to the second IDE controller on my PC. The disk has a few short (about 1/2 h) and long (about 1h30) recordings on it.

Windows XP disk management reported the disk as disk1 (as expected) and showed two partitions, the first taking up most of the space and used to store the programmes.

I tried to run the TwinRIP GUI version but did not meet with success, the software seemed to lock up or go into a loop and I could not at that point tell why as there is no feed back.

I then ran the command line version of TwinRIP, telling it to dump short samples of each programme as ES files and to make an index map. This time I could see that the software was able to identify individual programmes on the disk and had created short m2v (mpeg2) files. The content of the files was extremely corrupted when played. The software again seemed to stick and I could see that it was at the 4th programme (a film as far as I can remember).

Next I changed the command line spec for TwinRIP and it began making an index map of each programme along with a pva file. Again, TwinRIP stuck at programme 4. I ran the pva files from programmes 1,2 & 3 through pva2mpg and checked out the resulting mpeg files. Again the video was extremely corrupt as was the sound. TwinRIP took 5 hours to do the extracting (on an Athlon 2500+, until it stuck).

In conclusion, I think that TwinRIP may work, given a bit of development for the particular needs of the Humax platform. While the video and sound were very corrupt, the actual programme could be identified. At present the soultion seems to be unworkable. If TwinRIP was modified, to extract a programme the user would have to remove the disk from the Humax, connect it to their pc in some way and then wait for hours for the software to work (perhaps it would be faster if modified for the PVR8000T). It's probably easier to connect a dvd recorder to the RGB output and settle for a slightly poorer image quality. :(

2. bluebear

bluebear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ikki,

Very interesting work M8, I was going to try the same thing myself.

Could you possibly mail the guys on yahoo and ask them to add support for the Humax ? I bet it currently only supports the 8000 and not the 8000T versions.

Regards,

Bluebear.
    :thumbsup:

3. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    Hi Bluebear,

I will be contacting the group. From what I can see, data from the 8100 was tried but found to be at least partially encrypted. I am not sure if it is the same problem here, the picture looked like a very bad case of poor signal quality that you can see on Freeview.

4. FinnMan

FinnMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :clap: Good work Ikki! Thanks for reporting Your work.
    I spotted a commercial sw for satellite PVR's, but it may work with terrestial boxes as well. 30 day trial version is available.
    DVR-Studio at http://www.haenlein-software.de
    I would try it myself, but don't have a suitable PC for mounting 8000T's HD.

FinnMan

5. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    I have run TwinRIP again using the Humax switch which has cleared up the audio but the picture is still blocky. I am running a utility called headfind to see if I can get better parameters to use with TwinRIP.

Since the audio extraction is now ok, this could be used to extract radio recordings if they are stored in a similar format. The extraction of about 15 seconds of video took about 4h this time.

FinnMan I don't think that the software that you mentioned can reat the Humax file system :(

6. bluebear

bluebear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ikki,

Looks like your making good progress...

When I got some time, I will have a play.
    I need to upgrade the hard drive first, so I can play with the old disk.
    I can't be without the Humax for even a few hours, or the girfriend will kill me.
    She loves the Humax...

Maybe worth doing a short recording and posting the file on the Yahoo site and getting someone to take a look at the video quality problem.

I think that DVR-Studio is only for the PVR-8000 and not the PVR-8000T, but maybe worth a play on win98 etc..

Regards,

Bluebear.
    :thumbsup: