Humax PVR Reception on new aerial

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by mattrixdesign, Aug 12, 2004.

1. mattrixdesign

mattrixdesign

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We had a Humax PVR delivered on Monday, previoulsy we were using NTL (and still are).

It was the first time we used the Ariel on the house, the Humax PVR has problems with about 50% of the channel (TV and RADIO) the worse ones being those from the BBC, the best ITV etc.

We called for a new Aerial to be fitted by a CAI approved installer. He fitted a new (higher) aerial and also put an aerial in the upstairs bedroom (using some sort of box that would not degrade any signals) to connect to an old Nokia Ondigital my dad gave me. When he had finished we tested both upstairs and down stairs and the signal seemed A1. EXCELLENT :D

However over the last day the signal on the Humax box has deteriorated, the BBC channels are jerky and stutter and no longer watchable although not quite as bad as they were before. The brick like Nokia box upstairs may be slow but its picking up images perfectly! :mad:

So what is going on, is my aerial faulty, has the signal for freeview been poor (I live near Warrington), would the cheap lead I am using to connect the Humax box to the Aerial socked be a problem? Are some Freeview boxes better than others at getting and keeping a good signal? ANY IDEAS?

Thanks

Matt

2. mattrixdesign

mattrixdesign

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,981
    If it is was a transmission problem then both boxes would be affected.

Take the Nokia box & plug it in place of the Humax using the same cable that is currently connecting the Humax to the wall socket. If the Nokia still receives OK then you have elimated all cable issues. If the Nokia now struggles then you know that it IS a cabling issue & the patch lead would become prime suspect. You can switch it for the one upstairs to prove the point.

4. mattrixdesign

mattrixdesign

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tried the trusty old Nokia in the main room and it worked fine, where the Humax was struggling. Then I tried the Humax upstairs it worked fine! :rolleyes:

The only thing I could think of was that upstairs the aerial was a straight connection, down stairs I was using a (v.cheap) lead to patch in to the wall socket.

A trip down to B&Q and a shielded lead later, the Humax now works!!! LEASSON LEARNED - USE SHIELDED CABLES FOR DIGITAL TRANSMISSIONS - I should have clicked earlier - after all under or behind the TV is one NTL box, Sony Amp, DVD Player, PS2, HUMAX PVR, Wireless router, 3 SCART leads, 6 plugs = :oops: Any cross talk????????????

5. NathanE

NathanE
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just got this box too, Humax 8000T. Haven't done much with it yet as my roof aerial is a total rust and pigeon-**** bucket, need to get it replaced... on the status screen it said 10% signal, 0% quality :laugh: I can't wait to get it up and running though.

Here's a question, does anyone know what type of hard drive these use? Are they a laptop-style harddrive, or just a regular one straight out of any desktop PC? Would be interesting if you could install a larger capacity drive...

6. mattrixdesign

mattrixdesign

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    not sure of the HD type, but I am sure it can be changed unless its hardwired in! The better Humax model with twin tuners just has a slot so you can easily change/upgrade drives!

7. mattrixdesign

mattrixdesign

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just found this out on their website...

Can I upgrade my HDD to 80, 120, or 160 GB?
    > Not at the current time, the PVR-8000T only supports 40 GB; this is planned to be extended in a future software upgrade. We recommend that you contact your dealer or a Humax Service Centre to have you HDD upgraded.

http://www.humaxdigital.com/uk/support/faq.asp

8. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Ikki (?) has a thread on here describing how to upgrade the hard drive on the Humax. It's a standard 3.5" (PC) drive and his is now a 120GB Maxtor model.

I think the Humax comes with a Seagate drive but a number of people have had problems with different manufacturers such as IBM.

What sort of shielded cable did you use for the extension? Does it come by the metre?

9. NathanE

NathanE
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds promising then... I would have liked the better model with the dual tuners but couldn't find anywhere that stocked it. Oh well.

I would not be surprised if mine has a Seagate hard disk because when the unit is running it's barely audible, have to really listen hard with ear next to it!

One thing that impressed me with this box is the sheer number of connections on the back, it's rather well kitted out for the price, with all the latest digital/optical stuff. Or maybe I'm just behind the times... :laugh:

Just saw this bit in the FAQ link posted:

Can I transfer my recordings to my PC?
    > No, this is not possible as there is no connection for a PC.

What File System does the PVR-8000T use?
    > The HDD uses a Humax modified File System that is not compatible with a PC.​

Not compatible? Says who .. ? ;) I would bet it uses some obscure Linux or Unix file system, which with a little bit of effort could be doable...

10. mattrixdesign

mattrixdesign

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

11. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208

12. mattrixdesign

mattrixdesign

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

its terminated 750hm coax in varous fixed lengths, but I am sure you can buy a reel of sorts with out termindations - B&Q has terminated lengths of upto 10m!!!

Alternatively try someone like RS Components etc.

13. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Thanks, I've been looking through my pile of catalogues (very much into my DIY cabling, it's so much cheaper and invariably turns out better :) ) but havn't found anywhere that does it by the metre. I'll probably go for a 100m reel and start up a small business producing decent aerial cables :laugh:

14. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I'm sure Maplin do FT100 by the metre. Thats what I use and it's superb, can run it very close to mains and other equipment with no effect. Has a nice copper shield around the conductor.

15. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I saw the FT100 but it just said it was "CT100 compatible" and I think it the core was copper coated steel rather than pure copper. I'll do some more investigating though thanks.

If anyone else has any ideas please put them in my RF Cable/Connectors thread in the Cables section :)

16. ClassicStereo

ClassicStereo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For what its worth,
    my PVR 8000T gives a generally acceptable picture on "28% strength" or greater (using the inbuilt 'meter'). However, due to local conditions the different BBC terrestial signals and Ch 4, and ch. 5 and freeview do not all have the same optimum aerial orientation for them. In other words ideal terrestrial ITV means poorer signal at the Humax...