Humax PVR problems - locking, slow response or no response SOLVED

mrash

Hi, i know a few people have had some problems with their Hummy locking up or not responding to their remote etc. I too had this problem. Here is what i did to resolve it:-

Turn the unit off at the back, wait 5 mins, then power back on
This usually gives you about 5-10 mins grace while the EPG populates

Go through the channel list and delete any duplicate channels 2 ITV4's, 2 ITV's, 3 Cbeebies etc. So i deleted the duplicated channels, saved the results, and now it works like new.

:thumbsup:

Last edited:

rgvsean

I don't have duplicate channels and mine locks up.

How long have you tested for?

robtek70

I am having the same problems plus several others and have already tried that without any sucess.

mrash

3rd day now with no problems, previously it was slow to respond pretty much constantly. It works for me. Does it work for any others?

Robbie34

3rd day now with no problems, previously it was slow to respond pretty much constantly. It works for me. Does it work for any others?

Didn't work for me, and I doubt it works for 99.999% of others judging from the posts on various forums.

rgvsean

I've deleted all the channels I don't need - so Rabbit Chat - babestation:rolleyes: - QVC and crap like that. Regardless of lock up's it's nice to get rid of all that. Didn't lock up last night so will see over the next few days. Even a reduction in lock ups is a good thing.

richholah

Standard Member
Same thing has happened to me over recent weeks. Does not record even though I have a number of series links which has not gone down with the other half.

Freezes constantly and the remote does not work very well.. Help !!!

ronat

I haven't had many lock-ups,but constant problems with slow response (in varying degrees)and I have deleted all unwanted channels,and all the radio ones.This is obviously a very common problem which seems to have been made worse by the September re-tune,and also seems to be worst in areas that are post DSO.Apparently there is an upcoming upgrade from Humax,but it is unclear just exactly what this is for.

rgvsean

The upgrade is to clear up the freezing issue I believe.

I can report that after deleting all the channels I find surplus to requirments, that lock ups have been reduced to near zero. The reason I say that is one morning I switched on and the guide was loading itself so not sure if it had locked over night or not.

It's certainly not locked while watching as it used to.

Robbie34

I haven't totally solved this problem but it has improved considerably. I have started turning off the Humax at the wall socket each night. When I switch it on the following day it's fine for a few hours with just the occasional blip.

Don't know why this should be so, but it works.

S

scotsmcman

This forum says that the problem of slow response has been solved. FYI, it can't be done at home. But keep trying if it makes you feel involved. Don't want to ruin your techie fun. Take the unit back to the shop. Humax 9300T has a 2 year guarantee. The slow response problem is a firmware issue. What happens? - The shop emails Humax. Humax sends a new unit with the firmware updated. Humax then updates you PVR unit and sends it to the next unhappy customer. End of story. Nice player - but it needs an upgrade. It's a known issue. You can switch is on and off till the cows come home but that's just making you feel like your part of the team. You aren't going to cure it with home remedies. Humax should tell you this on its website, but it would cost it a packet. It hopes people will just get fed up or just keep posting spurious 'fixes' on forums like this.

PhilipL

Hi

This forum says that the problem of slow response has been solved. FYI, it can't be done at home. But keep trying if it makes you feel involved. Don't want to ruin your techie fun. Take the unit back to the shop. Humax 9300T has a 2 year guarantee. The slow response problem is a firmware issue. What happens? - The shop emails Humax. Humax sends a new unit with the firmware updated. Humax then updates you PVR unit and sends it to the next unhappy customer. End of story. Nice player - but it needs an upgrade. It's a known issue. You can switch is on and off till the cows come home but that's just making you feel like your part of the team. You aren't going to cure it with home remedies. Humax should tell you this on its website, but it would cost it a packet. It hopes people will just get fed up or just keep posting spurious 'fixes' on forums like this.

The majority if not all owners will by now have received an over the air firmware update, this is done in peoples homes automatically for them. Your information and rant is 6 months or more out of date.

Regards

Phil

S

scotsmcman

Hi Phil,

I know you THINK you are right, but you aren't. The over-the-air software update doesn't work. The machine needs a firmware update. It is a known problem. Humax take back the old unit and send a new one to your dealer with the firmware problem fixed. The shop even told me that Humax were snowed under at the moment.

I was trying to be helpful. You are just giving bad advice. It may be an old post, but the forum solution is wrong as are you. Only fair that I should try to help others. Please feel free to tell me I'm wrong again. I don't mind. But check your facts first.

PhilipL

Hi

Hi Phil,

I know you THINK you are right, but you aren't. The over-the-air software update doesn't work. The machine needs a firmware update. It is a known problem. Humax take back the old unit and send a new one to your dealer with the firmware problem fixed. The shop even told me that Humax were snowed under at the moment.

I was trying to be helpful. You are just giving bad advice. It may be an old post, but the forum solution is wrong as are you. Only fair that I should try to help others. Please feel free to tell me I'm wrong again. I don't mind. But check your facts first.

Our Humax 9200T worked all okay after the software update, and the reason this post is so old is because no one is complaining now. The last post before yours was almost a year ago, and complaints generally fell away once the software update was issued.

As for what 'shops' tell you, that's probably their excuse for taking a long time over it.

The over-the-air software update is a firmware update.

Regards

Phil

creddish

Hi Phil,

Do you own a Humax Freeview PVR? If so what software version do you have? The software version which solves the slow response issue is version .23 which was originally broadcast early this year and several times since. There were hundreds of users complaining on these forums about this issue on previous software versions. Can you list any posts from user complaining about the issue now?

Colin

Stone Free

Hi Phil,

I know you THINK you are right, but you aren't. The over-the-air software update doesn't work. The machine needs a firmware update. It is a known problem.

Please feel free to tell me I'm wrong again. I don't mind. But check your facts first.
Which PVR are you talking about?

Personally I think its you that's wrong I have a 9200 which was terribly slow on .21 and it updated over the air, although I had to initiate it manually. The update HAS to be currently be broadcast otherwise nothing can happen.

I'm pretty sure the same was true for the 9300 also!

ronat

Which PVR are you talking about?

Personally I think its you that's wrong I have a 9200 which was terribly slow on .21 and it updated over the air, although I had to initiate it manually. The update HAS to be currently be broadcast otherwise nothing can happen.

I'm pretty sure the same was true for the 9300 also!

Exactly the same experience with my 9200 (In fact I have 3 with same)

Gavtech

Administrator
The over-the-air software update doesn't work.

FYI, it can't be done at home.

Without further substantiation [ and there has been none ] it seems safe to ignore this extraordinary claim.

... But keep trying if it makes you feel involved. Don't want to ruin your techie fun. ..

... You can switch is on and off till the cows come home but that's just making you feel like your part of the team...

... It hopes people will just get fed up or just keep posting spurious 'fixes' on forums like this....

...I know you THINK you are right, but you aren't. ...

...You are just giving bad advice...

...It may be an old post, but the forum solution is wrong as are you.
Only fair that I should try to help others. Please feel free to tell me I'm wrong again. I don't mind. But check your facts first...

It also must be remarked that the undiplomatic approach, as exemplified in the remarks above, apart from being unwelcome and ill-advised, look rather suspect.

ronat

Looking more and more like a driver on wrong side of motorway.Can everybody else be driving the wrong way?

Gavtech

Administrator
Can everybody else be driving the wrong way?

That is always possible and should be allowed for.

This case could be easily cleared up.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, but this case has had no evidence presented at all.

Ianskey

Novice Member
My 9200 has suffered from odd problems since
freeview updates.
Tried removing duplicate channels to no effect.
In desperation, tried deleting all unwanted channels from
auto searched channel list...............
Vast improvement..........only locked up twice in a week !

Hope this helps other 9200 owners...............

creddish

My 9200 has suffered from odd problems since
freeview updates.
Tried removing duplicate channels to no effect.
In desperation, tried deleting all unwanted channels from
auto searched channel list...............
Vast improvement..........only locked up twice in a week !

Hope this helps other 9200 owners...............
If you have duplicate Channels this means you are receiving signals from more than one transmitter. This causes problems for Humax SD PVRs. You should carry out a Manual Tuning procedure. There is a well proven detailed procedure here.

BTW did you realise you responded to an 18 month old thread?

Colin

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on Sky and NOW UK for February 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Piega launches Ace Wireless speakers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
M&K Sound launches V+ Series subwoofers