Humax PVR now shipping

The Humax range has one huge drawback - you cannot record digital radio. If you never listen to radio then it's no big deal, but it is not made clear by the manufacturers or sellers that there is this shortcoming.

I record lots of radio to listen to while travelling. I bought the Pace Twin and it is fantastic. I cannot speak highly enough about it. Excellent design and very easy to use. Most of the bugs have now gone thanks to software upgrades.

Spok.

I have the 8000t arriving tomorrow, only £165 and free shipping from qed.
No more loose scarts and recording blank image from my freeview box to VCR :)

I don't record radio and I have freeview on my tellie, so its perfect for me.
And I also use a pronto.

Originally posted by Dave Taylor
You will need to set up a macro for the delete a recording function.

The Pronto is great with a Humax.
I have only had a quick play with it so far, it seems great.
Will think about macros when I have spent more time with it.
I had a bit of a scare, I thought the mirror finish was scratched badly until i realised it had a protective coating which peels off :eek:

Pace should take note on how to release a stable product. [/B][/QUOTE]

I Think you are being unfair, The PACE Twins was initially flawed indeed but it was the first, and we (the buyers) were pretty impatient I believe, to own a bitstream recorder.

Almost a year later we have the second recorder (one tuner though). I think we should cut them a little slack.

I Think you are being unfair, The PACE Twins was initially flawed indeed but it was the first, and we (the buyers) were pretty impatient I believe, to own a bitstream recorder.

Yes I agree, and I was waiting for the Pace Twin but when it was first released it was as if nobody at Pace had actually used one.

When I said a stable product that includes reliable, I found myself using my VCR in tandem as a backup.

It had a very soft picture which I was amazed at, especially when Pace already produces a STB with a sharpe picture.

Producing a STB with a crap picture is like making an amplifier that produces distorted sound. A bit basic to say the least.

Pace has done them self no favours in releasing an product that was not fit for the purpose.

I was not alone in returning my Twin and I read elsewhere that people are still returning them.

After the twin it was a gamble buying the Humax bit I am really glad I did.

Dabs.com has them for £169.99 inc VAT.
Quick link : 2WXJWS

I'm quite tempted to get one and use it as a 'VCR', rather than buy another SHVS ET machine , like I was oroginally thinking.

Originally posted by ReTrO
Dabs.com has them for £169.99 inc VAT.
Quick link : 2WXJWS

I'm quite tempted to get one and use it as a 'VCR', rather than buy another SHVS ET machine , like I was oroginally thinking.
Very pleased with mine, and only £165 with free delivery at qed.
My SVHS deck is going in the loft.

Ordered mine from dabs.com.

Anyone any ideas on how to upgrade the HDD? And what capacity it will support?

Mines not arrived yet so I've not been able to poke my nose into it.:smashin:

Originally posted by ReTrO
Ordered mine from dabs.com.

Anyone any ideas on how to upgrade the HDD? And what capacity it will support?

Mines not arrived yet so I've not been able to poke my nose into it.:smashin:
See HCC May 2004 for review. Humax told HCC it would take a 120GB HD, they tested a 120GB Hitachi desk star which failed to work. Maybe it will work with a seagate, which Humax fit, you can just see the logo through the grill.
I am very happy with mine, and even the Mrs loves it :smashin:

Originally posted by Timh
HCC May 2004

Do you mean May 2003?

Don't suppose you've got a scanned copy of the article? Or know if it's on the net?

As it happens I have a Seagate Baracuda V 7200.7 160Gb laying around...

Maybe it might find it's way into the Humax...;)

oopppps its March 2004. Sorry no scanner at the mo.
The Humax got an excellent review, and HCC hinted they may try another drive out, and to keep an eye on later issues of HCC.

can you use this pvr to record from an external source or only record from the tuner encased like the twin pace??

Rob

The humax will record from the freeview tuner only, basically
it records the raw stream of data for playback. Wait for the Humax
Tivo for recording from video (if it ever appears!)

thanks. i take it then if i want to record form an external source like a sky digi box i would need a stanalone dvdr/hdd recorder.

The advantage of having a HDD built into a Freeview / Sky box is that you are recording an already compressed MPEG digital signal and therefore the file sizes are small and the playback quality is as good as watching live.

If you have a standalone recorder TIVO, JVC etc, then that recorder has to encode (compress) the data to fit on the HDD, most have a choice of quality the less quality the more storage. I don’t believe the encoders in the recorders can compress as well as the encoders used by the broadcasters.

The great thing about the Humax and Pace is that there is no loss in quality with the maximum storage.

My PVR8000T arrived today!:D

It's currently sitting on my floor until I can fit it into my kit in the living room. We need a new Tv stand at home to fit the kit on, but it'll be resident there when the new stand arrives. Thus I will have:

Denon DVD2000 (old 1st gen machine)
Panasonic S-VHS ET VCR
Humax PVR8000T :D

This way I can record onto the PVR, then if needed time-shift over to the VCR (s-video) and get a decent piccy. Incase anyone wants a copy.

Happy happy! :smashin:

I have found just one negative point with the Humax, if the power is disconnected you loose your recording schudule :(
Recorded programmes still remain though :)
How are you getting on retro? have you tried a HD upgrade yet?

I've got to rescue the spare HDD from my dad first, cos it's made it's way into his PC as a temp backup disc.

Let us know if you get round to testing it with a larger HD.

Cheers

I just noticed another problem with the Humax, no card reader, so we wont get the new pay channels on freeview out in march for £7.99 :mad: click

This is not an issue to me. I've still got my Netgme box incase they bother to put some decent channels on that we have to pay for, the current lineup doesn't really look that exciting to me. Maybe add Sky One and something like British/Eurosport to that for the same money and I'd consider it.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom