Humax PVR. Archiving.

roger13

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks.

Continuing my journey of discovery through the mysteries of my Humax Foxsat PVR I have FINALLY managed to persuade it to archive recordings to a newly purchased 500gb External HDD.

Naively, I expected to be able to connect said HDD to my PC and be able to burn the archived recordiongs to discs. Silly me, I now find that the files are in a format which my burning programmes don't want to recognise. Actually that's not strictly true - Nero did allow me to build a DVD burn list but then informed me that as one of the files is greater than 2gb it would only be playable on Windows XP. Now, since none of my three DVD players comes equipped with XP :suicide: I'm at a bit of a loss.

Any ideas anyone? Do the Humax people deliberately set out to make life difficult or is it just a 'happy' accident?

Cheers,

Roger. :beer:

The .TS files from the Humax should play in Windows (if they don't, you can download the free VLC media player which will).

A .TS file is a "transport stream" containing MPEG2 video data, similar to a "programme stream" that media such as DVDs store their MPEG2 data in, but optimised for broadcast.

You can convert .TS files to .MPG then (edit and) author these to DVD. Simply storing the transferred .TS files onto DVD will not make them playable on DVD players.
VideoRedo TV Suite can do the whole process in one (pay) software, but it can be completed in steps with free software.

There is much discussion on this and other HDR matters, here and at Hummy.org.

Last edited:
Hi.

Thanks for that. I'll investigate this VideoRedo Suite as it sounds as though it may be a little more idiot proof than the other option.

Thanks again,

Roger. :smashin:

DVD Flick is a free DVD Authoring tool - it can be set to only transcode when needed. If you can convert the TS to a PS using other free software (Project X or HDTV2Mpeg) that should be enough.

However some channels do not transmit the full 720x576 resolution (More4 is one I have noticed) and so still need transcoding to work with DVD-Video.

Hi.

Thanks for that. I'll investigate this VideoRedo Suite as it sounds as though it may be a little more idiot proof than the other option.

Thanks again,

If you have Nero you can use the cheaper Videoredo plus to do the .ts to .mpg conversion (and edit out the ads). The conversion process is very very fast unlike the free options around. You can then burn the dvd using nero or use the free IMGburn for example

AfterDawn.com: Guides: How to burn a DVD Folder with ImgBurn

Hi.

Thanks folks. Plenty to go on there. I think my basic problem is that I expect the Humax to behave like a traditional VCR/DVD recorder. In reality it more closely resembles a computer.

I shall investigate the programmes mentioned.

Thanks again.

Hi, please forgive me if this has been posted and I've not found it, but I've been trying to archive to a standalone harddrive and the 'copy' option is greyed out on the menu - basically I'm stuck.

Can anyone tell me how you get it to copy files from the Humax to the harddrive ? I'm not worried about burning to DVD or playing on any other device, I just want to increase storage space.

Thanks,

Andy

Hi, please forgive me if this has been posted and I've not found it, but I've been trying to archive to a standalone harddrive and the 'copy' option is greyed out on the menu - basically I'm stuck.

Can anyone tell me how you get it to copy files from the Humax to the harddrive ? I'm not worried about burning to DVD or playing on any other device, I just want to increase storage space.

Thanks,

Andy

The key to this is to open the usb drive icon to the root folder by clicking OK on it. Now go left to the int hdd drive list and move to a file, now the stb knows where to send it the the copy/move option will be enabled

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom