Humax PVR 9200T

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by dude-149, Mar 21, 2006.

Tags:
  1. dude-149

dude-149

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure if this is already in the forum but here goes...

I bought a PVR 9200T and being 1st PVR am mainly impressed.
    However last week my 60% full disk now won't display or play previously recorded program's. It will however record new ones since powering off.

I rang Humax support today and was told i was a known bug and they hope to get a fix in the 'next few weeks' This should be delivered automatically OTA 'over the airwaves' thru the ariel. This pacified my concerns I'd lost all my fave programmes since Christmas and should be able to avoid paying to return to Humax/reseller to make use of the 2Year warranty. I was advised I haven't lost these previous recordings and despite the fact that any new recordings when played display the old programmes titles they won't overwrite them... just have to await the 'next few weeks' for this s/w update

2. Paul Shirley

Paul Shirley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    ...strangely people were told pretty much the same story back in Nov 2005 about an update by year end. We're still waiting...

The good news is: wait long enough and you might see some of the recordings magically return. The bad is it will be by replacing new stuff you just recorded. Just finished watching something recorded and lost in January, unfortunately I'd rather have had the new recording it replaced :(

3. Paul Shirley

Paul Shirley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    Something I forgot to mention that might help you. Using the editing features can sometimes bring back lost recordings (but lose what you were editing). They frequently won't play on the 9200 but will if pulled onto a PC - ironic really since USB crashes and eLinker/9200 bugs caused most of the foulups that lost my recordings!

AFAIK the machine never recovers any metadata like programme name or correct sizes because that's what actually gets deleted when it falls over, recovering anything is a guessing game and I don't believe the long promised (but never delivered) recovery tool can remedy that. Even more fun, what you see in the play menu, recordings menu and eLinker will often be different...

4. laser

laser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Don't hold you breath...

The late Janauary update never materialised and I believe the next update may have been pushed back to an unknown date in the summer.

I was hoping for a fix to correct ITV3 locking up.

5. mij

mij

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +999
    I used to have a 8000T that I returned for a refund last October, due to a fault that Humax knew about and promised to fix but never did. I have just checked their website and it still has the same faulty software for download.

Does not look good for us 9200 owners, I am very close to returning mine for a refund. I have had 4 lockups this week, and I hardly watch TV.

6. Paul Shirley

Paul Shirley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    Today's beta 4 revelation confirms what most of us believed, Humax are adding features their beta testers *want* instead of fixing bugs the rest of us *need*.

I now expect to have more problems not less if they ever release an update, piling badly implemented (the padding option will trigger the ancient consecutive recording bug for example) and badly thought out features onto a buggy foundation just breeds more bugs.

7. windsurf123

windsurf123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    On the contrary Paul. Humax have been working on both the known bugs (which this current beta release is only half addressing), and the features most requested by "all" users on the DT forums and I believe these forums.
    There is, as I am sure you are aware a huge list of the features most requested by ALL forum users!

They are certainly NOT wasting their time by "developing a few features for the sole benefit of a handfull of beta testers".

It would be pointless to release this current beta version to the wider community until they have received some feedback.

I can appreciate your frustrations with some of the limitations of the 9200T.
    However, having been very patient with various PVR manufacturers over the years, I can only state that at least Humax are making some effort to resolve their products' shortcomings. (the Pace Twin lovers waited a year for a half-hearted fix, for example).

Judging by your very negative comments on both forums, you are obviously very dissapointed with the product and I suggest you return it for a refund. Unfortunately for us all, I doubt you'll find an alternative device that delivers all the features and stability we crave.

It is also worth considering that many users of Humax product are very happy with it's performance out of the box!

No, I don't work for Humax or any of it's partners.
    Yes I am on the beta list and hopefully the testing and feedback I give to Humax will benefit both you and other users.

8. mij

mij

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +999
    Well I realy hope that they do fix it.
    I think the 9200 is a great product when it works (which is most of the time), but is totally useless when it fails to perform it's most basic functions. I do not complain about features, I knew what it had feature wise when I purchased it, I complain about it failing to perform it's basic function.

What puzzles me is the way some people consantly slag of a faulty product, why not make your point and then change to something else? but equally I am puzzled why others constantly defend a faulty product.

A faulty product should never have put on the market in the first place, and as long as consumers keep accepting this policy of becoming testers, it will keep happening.

9. Paul Shirley

Paul Shirley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    As long as the people having problems just send it back and get something else, as you suggest, companies will carry on released half finished crap, knowing they need not worry about bad PR. I for one am sick and tired of a long succession of purchases that don't work out of the box, that can't change if no-one kicks back at the cowboys releasing this crap.

10. Paul Shirley

Paul Shirley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    OK. Show me a post with news on these original (Oct 2005) bugs and I'll believe you:
    Missing recordings (single or the entire disc)
    Filesystem corruption and the slew of errors it causes
    The consecutive same channel recording bug
    eLinkers astonishing inability to detect errors or even maintain a connection

The only major bugs I'm aware of being fixed is a cryptic suggestion that radio recordings from standby might actually work now (but no confirmation it actually works) and another unconfirmed hint that sound might work on the 2nd tuner. No suggestion it will start recording all 30min of radio instead of the 30s I frequently saw though so its still a waste of time using radio.