Humax PVR-9200T freezing when changing channels etc

Woggy67

Standard Member
Hi,

I have a Humax PVR-9200T and once again it has started locking up. At first I thought it wasn't responding becasue the batteries in the handset needed replacing. Replaced batteries and turned PVR back on, but again the machine still locks up.

Baiscally what happens is that after turning on the PVR it will respond to the first action i.e. a change of channel or accessing the recorded programmes. However, once this action has been completed you are stuck with whatever you have asked it to do and it fails to respond again via the handset or machine controls until it is turned off and on again. :confused:

The PVR was purchased approx 4 years ago.

If anyone could supply any simple advice or ideas that I could try, to help get the machine functioning normally again in time for Christmas, I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance.

Gavtech

Administrator
Hi,

I have a Humax PVR-9200T and once again it has started locking up. At first I thought it wasn't responding becasue the batteries in the handset needed replacing. Replaced batteries and turned PVR back on, but again the machine still locks up.

Baiscally what happens is that after turning on the PVR it will respond to the first action i.e. a change of channel or accessing the recorded programmes. However, once this action has been completed you are stuck with whatever you have asked it to do and it fails to respond again via the handset or machine controls until it is turned off and on again. :confused:

The PVR was purchased approx 4 years ago.

If anyone could supply any simple advice or ideas that I could try, to help get the machine functioning normally again in time for Christmas, I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance.

Before trying to progress further, clean the machine of any buffer corruption by disconnecting the unit from the mains for at least an hour.

See how it is after that.

nvingo

Distinguished Member
From Humax:
PVR-9200T / PVR-9200TB / PVR-9200TBX version 1.00.23 (Broadcast)
Starting: 19/12/2011 @ 10am
Ending: 20/12/2011 @ 9am
Repeat broadcast. Release notes available here.
Humax have organised repeat OTAs of the current firmware for all the SD PVRs (9150/9200/9300) due to there being many still not updated, and there being changes in many regions due to DSO causing the OPs issue.
Advice is to take advantage of this OTA - to achieve this automatically the PVR must be in standby at update time (powered and with access to the broadcast signal at default search time of 04:00) alternatively an update can be manually initiated until 09:00 (today 20/12/2011) via the menus - you may need to disconnect the aerial input from the PVR before turning it on and whilst selecting that option then reconnect the aerial once it starts searching.
There are repeats for the 9150 and 9300 starting today and tomorrow (at 10:00).

Edit:
It looks like they've squeezed in another 9200 repeat for Thursday - DTG OTA schedule.

Last edited:

brian s

Distinguished Member
This happened to my mother's machine some time ago and it has happened again today so I revived my old thread.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/pvrs-vcrs/835336-humax-9150-stuck-itv1.html#post16042960

This worked last time.

Firstly, remove the aerial from the PVR and then power it on.

Access your MENU>INSTALLATION>DEFAULT SETTING>YES (your password is '[email protected] when required)

The unit will now turn itself off and on again.
Once the machine turns off you will need to reconnect the aerial.

This will reset your box and rescan the channels, once this is finished, make sure to SAVE the results, and this will solve your problem.

Please let me know if this works so I can go round and fix my mother's. Are you in the North East as it was the Pontop Pike transmitter that caused the problem last time.

Bri

Woggy67

Standard Member
Thanks to Gavtech, nvingo and brian s for their replies.

I disconnected PVR and left a couple of hours and then reconnected PVR and believe it or not it did seem better. That is a natty little trick Gavtech, which I will try and remember.

However, things seem to be slipping back again as the machine gets used throughout the week.

Sadly it looks like I have missed the automatice updates that nvingo mentions. The ones listed for Thursday are for the 9300. Hence I will try and follow the instructions to do it manually, as suggested.

Finally brian s I am on the East Coast in Lincolnshire, so not as far north as you, so not the same transmitter I think. With regard to your advice I just wanted to ask will the reset wipe the hard drive of programmes already saved?

Once again thanks for your help.

Merry Christmas to all who take time out to help others via the forum.

All the best for 2012 :)

nvingo

Distinguished Member
Sadly it looks like I have missed the automatice updates that nvingo mentions. The ones listed for Thursday are for the 9300. Hence I will try and follow the instructions to do it manually, as suggested.
At the time of posting, DTG did list the 9200 for Thursday - the schedule must have been subject to some late alterations. It's telling that the schedule is taken up with alternate updates for the 9150 an 9300 until next weekend.

A manually initiated OAD (over air download sometimes referred to as OTA over the air) will still not work unless the update is being broadcast as per the DTG schedule.

Also known as a Manual Update is the provision to transfer the firmware locally, in the case of Humax SD PVRs this involves a serial connection to a computer. A "null modem" serial cable (and in the case of a PC without a serial port, a USB to serial adapter) is required. Then the firmware update is downloaded from Humax support and their procedure (or Martin Liddle's - frequent poster and author of an alternative update transfer utility) followed to apply it.

A default setting is recommended once new firmware has been installed. Incidentally a default setting does not wipe existing recorded programmes but will require retuning and resetting of timers for future events.

brian s

Distinguished Member
Finally brian s I am on the East Coast in Lincolnshire, so not as far north as you, so not the same transmitter I think. With regard to your advice I just wanted to ask will the reset wipe the hard drive of programmes already saved?

Once again thanks for your help.

Merry Christmas to all who take time out to help others via the forum.

All the best for 2012 :)

No the procedure did not wipe the recordings. I'm going over to my mother's sometime today. She's distraught at the thought of being without the machine over Xmas and she wants me to get her a replacement. I want to try and fix it first.

Merry Christmas to you too.

All the very best
Bri

brian s

Distinguished Member
I've just rang my mother. She had the unit disconnected all night and it's still not working.

Bri

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom